My Computer Changed The TIme By Itself

My computer is telling the correct hourly time. Is it because the new rules for changing our clocks happened to give the same day as if we followed the old rules? Or, did one of the Microsoft Windows XP updates put some new intelligence into my machine?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Do you have Intenet? If so, double click on the Time in the lower right corner, and then click on the Internet Time tab. Do you have the box checked? If so, that does it. Yes, it's built in to XP for years now, from the beginning I thought, but wasn't in winME or 98, though there was freeware etc. that would do it with those OSes.

I have a Philips DVDR, now sold under the Magnavox brand, which does a very nice job in many ways but the clock can lose a minute or two a week, and so can the one my friend bought. Putting it on automatic time set doesn't make things better. But last night and last spring, it automatically updated the hour**, but failed to accurately set the minute! Isn't that amazing?

**When using an antenna only and not cable, etc. it does that by getting the time off of a tv station, usually PBS,
Reply to
micky

Microsoft updates fixed that about 3 months after the change was put in place, if you allow Microsoft to update your computer. It's all part of the service packs.

Reply to
clare

On 11/4/2012 1:08 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote: ...

yes

Reply to
dpb

Thanks to everyone for confirming what I suspected. The minute differs from the minute on my cellphone by about 10 seconds, that is truly amazing. I go back to when a long distance phone call meant shouting at top volume and then not always being able to hear the person at the other end , very late 1940's and very early 1950's.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Usual thing when you set the clock setting with DST enabled. Most of clocks in my house is atomic time based. My utility watch (Casjo Wave Center with solar cell) all know DST time setting back and forth. Our home thermostat does the same.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Usual thing when you set the clock setting with DST enabled. Most of clocks in my house is atomic time based. My utility watch (Casio Wave Center with solar cell) all know DST time setting back and forth. Our home thermostat does the same.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'm a few years younger than you, but I rememmber early and mid 50's when station-to-statioin was 20 cents a minute, after 8PM and on weekends,, and we all gathered around the phone to listen/talk to my grandmother, so she didn't have to say the same thing twice.

While NYC had dial phones then, until about 1955, we'd pick up the phone and the operator would say Number pleasssse. We'd give her the number** and I think we heard a ringing sound, unless it was busy, in which case the operator would come back and say "The line is bussssy".

**For the first few weeks or months in 1945, my mother would say "OLiver 4-1234, please", but eventually an operator said, "You don't have to say OLiver 4, Ma'am. They're all OLiver 4. "
Reply to
micky

Living in Indiana where is has only be the last few years where we started with Daylight time, for most computers the DST changeover is automatic. Remember when we started using DST one of the OS updates said that one the included changes was Indiana now observing DST. I was so proud (grin)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I'm outraged. I've proudly told people how my former state ignores DST. Now I'll look like a fool to them.

Reply to
micky

I see ads for clocks that claim to set themselves. They don't really, but will adapt to DST (change hour twice a year). Of course, they won't do anything about clock drift, so you still need to check occaisionally.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On the farm in the 60's we got phone service from a private little rural phone company and we were on a party line. It was a hoot. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On my parents' farm in the 1980s they had a party line.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

There are so-called "atomic clocks" that do set themselves using a signal from a satellite. I have a small one that I got very cheaply at a hamfest, and after a year, I still haven't noticed if it works right or not, though it seems to keep good time. This morning it was no longer on DST. The problem is that when it is updating the time, it is supposed to display the image of radiation semi-circles coming from the image of an antenna, and when it does that, it stays that way for hours, when I can't imagine it takes more than ??? minutes to update the time.

They aren't really atomic, but the clock whose time they receive is probably atomic. Little known, the one at the US Naval Observatory in DC is open for tours one weeknight a week. iirc, along with being allowed to look through the telescope and one other thing I forget. I was there when Dan Quayle was living on the same property, and I hope the tours are still given.

The telescope will only see rather bright things, because it's located in the middle of NW DC, but there is also the U of Maryland telescope near College Park which is open for tours one day a month iirc, and the day of the week varies. Maybe it's the same day of each month. With their 2 telescopes, I was able to see Saturn and its rings for the first time (incredible) and two other planets and probably some stars IIRC both tours are free, though you should make a reservation and each is worth driving from Baltimore, let alone closer. At least on a clear night.

Reply to
micky

I remember in the 50's party lines were common in the suburbs. You had to count the rings. Then quietly pick up handset and listen in.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

In '57 we moved to the INdianapolis suburbs. When my mother signed up for a phone, she was told she could have a party line with no one else on it. I guess they had planned for when there were more people in the area. So she saved money and it was like a private line for 9 years. till we moved.

Reply to
micky

I don't know of any clocks except gps and such that use a satellite. Ground beacons are sent from Colorado from NIST. Once, they used to broadcast from near DC area. You usually can't pick up the signals during the day.

I don't know if they have more than one cesium clock at the colarado station. It used to be, the standard was averaged from banks of cesium beam units near DC.separated from each other, along with one or more hydrogen masers. The Current beacons may be synced by satellites.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Talk about technology. I just picked up my old fashioned tone dial handset, by tapping on the hangup button on the wall, I called my cell phone. Is that cool.

I like the old phone, works without external power, and has loud bell. Also got loud bell in garage.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I guess you're right.

$14. Mine was more money origianally but very similar. It had no box and I found brief instructions online, but they probably didn't mention what you said.

" The atomic clock is updated daily to within one second of official U.S. government time via radio signal from Fort Collins, Colorado, and never needs resetting. The clock is accurate to within one second of official U.S. government time.

This atomic alarm clock is also easily programmed to reflect which available time zone you?re in (Pacific,Central, Eastern or Mountain) and operates manually if traveling outside of the continental U.S. "

I also found a wristwatch

30 dollars

Reply to
micky

Nope, I found them and they say just what you said

"This clock is designed to automatically synchronize its calendar clock once it is brought within the range of the WWVB radio signal broadcast from Ft. Collins, Colorado. When the unit is within range, its radio-control mechanism will override all manual settings unless auto-reception of radio signal has been manually deactivated. When the clock is receiving radio signal, the radio reception icon will start to blink. A complete reception generally takes about 2 to

10 minutes, depending on the strength of the radio signal. When the reception is complete, the radio reception icon will stop blinking. The strength of the reception for the last full hour will be indicated. For better reception, place the unit away from metal objects and electrical appliances to minimize interference. Should you wish to deactivate the RF controlled function, press and hold [DOWN] button for 3 seconds. The radio reception icon will disappear. To reactivate the RF controlled function, press and hold [UP] button for 3 seconds again and the radio reception icon will be re-displayed."

RADIO-CONTROLLED TRAVEL ALARM CLOCK WITH WORLD TIME MODEL NO.: RM323A

I think this last sentence is interesting.

Reply to
micky