My tomato plant broke

I think the cat rolled on one of my tomato plants and it broke off. I stuck it back in the ground just to see what happens. Is it possible that it'll reroot itself into the ground?

Thanks! Angie

Reply to
junkyardcat

Brian

I'd take it out of the ground and stick it in the some water for a few days to see if it roots (like taking a start from a houseplant) first. THEN stick it in the ground. I've started many an additional tomato plants from suckers I've trimmed off.

Cheryl

Reply to
clc

Jesus Christ! I've heard of skinflints, but you take the prize. How much do tomato plants cost? 29 cents? 49 cents? Bite the bullet and just buy another one, for crying out loud.

Reply to
Gennifer

uhhhh.. not everyone BUYS tomato plants and so there isn't a magical store to trot off to in order to buy one of the heirloom varieties you had just a few seeds of to start, and not all those grew, so you have

1 or 2 plants and someone's cat came and rolled on it! Even if you had more seeds, it's often a matter of not enough time to restart them in order to get much if any tomatoes from the plants. It's a tad early to plant them here, but in some areas of the world it may be late!

Yes, I agree, if it's one of the gazillion plants that are sold, sure buy another one. However, there are other motives for doing things than the one that jumps into your brain first. Sometimes people just like to KNOW if things might work.

It's like people who are dumbfounded by people who order a bunch of fattening foods, and then order a diet drink.. they just think of the absurdity of drinking a *diet* soda with .. oh.. cheesecake and chicken kiev.. or whatever fattening thing you can imagine. They don't even consider that the person just doesn't LIKE the full sugar soda. Personally, I can't abide the full sugar pops, and while I rarely d rink sodas/pop/sodapop at all these days, if I did it would be diet, caffeine free sodium free. And people would look at me and come up with a whole string of thoughts about me and my eating and drinking habits, but . few would be accurate.

their problem, not mine.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Skinflint? I think not! I spend alot of money on my gardens each year, and yes, I could go buy another plant to replace that one. I was simply curious if it would work if I put it back in the ground and let it grow new roots!! A simple question, that's all.

Reply to
junkyardcat

Yada, yada, yada.

You will have better luck rerooting it in water than just sticking it back in the ground.

Reply to
Cereus-validus