OT: Sophisticated satire

Funniest guy on the Web is Andy Borowitz. His take on politics, world events, etc uses a scalpel rather than a bludgeon.

Sample - Today's Report:

State Department Offers Support =91to Whoever Winds Up Winning=92 Promises =91Strongest Possible Monitoring of Events from Afar=92

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) =96 As pro-democracy protests spread around the world, the US State Department today issued its strongest words to date about the situation, offering =93to stand by whichever side winds up winning.=94

That pro-winning-side message, articulated today by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, was intended to send a clear signal that the United States is willing to put all of its power and prestige on the line as soon as matters are settled by others.

=93The United States has and will always be a beacon of freedom and democracy,=94 Secretary Clinton said. =93And in that capacity, we are vigilantly standing on the sidelines and offering the strongest possible monitoring of events from afar.=94

Joining her at the State Department press conference, President Barack Obama echoed her statement, telling reporters, =93I am behind Secretary Clinton=92s mixed message one hundred percent.=94

=93To dictators who think they can get away with oppressing their people, let me say this,=94 President Obama continued. =93The United States of America is standing by, thousands of miles away, to see how this mess turns out.=94

As for any possible change in policy in the future, Secretary Clinton seemed to rule that out: =93We will remain consistent in our policy of issuing meaningless statements at random intervals.=94

Sec. Clinton, however, did urge dictators to resist the temptation to pass power on to their sons: =93If that had happened on =91The West Wing,= =92 that would have been Charlie Sheen.=94

Get the Borowitz Report delivered to your inbox for free here.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Andy is one of the funniest satirists I've seen lately. Although I don't always agree with his politics or stance on the issues, his take on things is generally very clever and well thought out. Occasionally he sinks to the "Palin is really dumb" level of commentary but most times he's really good.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I've been enjoying Andy's emails for ages, and haven't seen anything like the level of commentary you cite; maybe I missed one single one? ALL of his material that I've seen is deft stiletto, without fear or favor of party affiliation.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Could just be interpretation; on rare occasion he seems to be a bit too obvious in his attacks.

OT: Higgs, were you a physics major?

pli

Reply to
Pavel314