OT. Slowest line

[snip]

Apparently, these people don't even decide what coupons to use until they're being checked out.

If one of my coupons is rejected, I normally save it for use next time. That is, if the cashier doesn't insist I do something more complicated NOW.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I haven't either, just a few at Wal-Mart and some grocery stores. There's always plenty of the regular kind.

I avoid the self checkout if I have anything complicated like unmarked produce.

I've done that before because of a long line.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I knew of a woman trying to buy dog food with food stamps. She took it back and got steak for her dogs. That was covered.

[snip]

I certainly don't.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Albertsons, where I usually shop, did the same after their renovation. It was comical that the same week they trashed theirs, Target installed

  1. However Target is a department store and while they have a limited range of grocery items everything is bar coded.
Reply to
rbowman

It was well before the SNAP program but that was one of my friend's complaints about food stamps. iirc another was the store would give change in store coupons that had to be redeemed at the same store.

Reply to
rbowman

We solved that problem a few years ago -- tore down K-Mart and built a Cabelas.

Reply to
rbowman

K-Mart only 2 miles from here appears to have taken in all the crap from Sears 5 miles from here.

Reply to
Frank

I think the K-Mart did get some Sears stuff, at least the Craftsman tools. For me it was on the other side of town and I seldom went there but when I did there were never many shoppers. About 30 years ago it did okay but then Walmart, Target, and ShopKo came to town.

Reply to
rbowman

The Sears near me closed a couple of months ago and were selling off stuff a couple of months before final closing. Having shopped years at the K-Mart I knew a few folks there. The sporting goods department manager quit when they cut his hours and severely cut his benefits. The garden department manager stayed on since her husband is the breadwinner but they just closed the garden center and she is in the general store. Last time I saw her she said it was obvious where the store was heading.

Sears management has had the nerve to blame part of their decline on having to keep paying their pensioners putting a drag on the company.

Reply to
Frank

"Nerve"? No.

Pension and health benefits for retirees are a serious financial drain for many companies, especially those where short-sighted managers negotiating union contracts gave away the store- rather than standing up to union goons' strike threats.

They postponed the high cost payments to the future-- kind of like government officials' deficit spending, especially Democrats of the Obama ilk, have been doing for years.

The chickens will come home to roost for our children and our grandchildren creating a financial- and consequently a societal- meltdown.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Yes, you can blame both management and unions. Today pensions are becoming a thing of the past with employees getting money up front like in increased 401k contributions instead of pensions. Retirees then get nothing from the company when they retire or quit.

Reply to
Frank

One big chain here has some kind of portable electronic thing for each customer. There is a rack that holds 20 or 30 of them by the entrance, so you can take one. I think maybe it totals how much you've put in the cart so far, but i'm just guessing. It's as big as 6 smartphones stacked one on top of another. What could it be, what would it do? Do you like them?

Reply to
micky

LOL I wonder if the dog will share.

Reply to
micky

Oh, I agree.

Reply to
micky

N ever saw one, but heard about them. You scan as you shop then pay at the end.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Since you have to have a quarter to get a shopping cart and bring your own grocery bags, Aldi's is not for me.

Reply to
Major Payne

Yeah, the psychology of it for managers is to avoid taking a strike, pretty much no matter what. A strike negatively impacts current corporate income which makes the managers look bad. This will usually cost them performance bonus awards.

On the other hand, giving in to sometimes outrageous pension and retirement demands postpones the cost well into the future. It has no real impact on the current balance sheet. In fact it's invisible so the managers "look good" for keeping the doors open and the machines humming.

I know this is how it works. Back in the day, I was on the corporate HR staff (which was called "Personnel" back then) of a Fortune 50 company and was involved in several national UAW contract negotiations. In later years, I consulted with many companies who took the same approach- which I counseled against, often to no avail.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Sierra Trading Post, here. And the other is a now a local furniture store. No teardowns, as I recall, although the facades are much improved.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

That's it! So I took your last words, scan as you shop then pay at the end, and googled that and got a lot of hits.

has a video, but stupid video. When I paused it to read a sign, something about "Complete your produce order here", it overlaid the picture with other video choices. When I X'd that, grey and out of focus! So I can't read the sign. How is pausing related to wanting to see a different video?

Answers question from page below, Why no bags provided? They expect you to bring your own re-usable bags, that have handles but stand up by themselves. Already I'm in trouble.

BTW, I don't go to this store often but I don't think I've seen anyone using it in a whole year.

"This allows them to pack while they shop and arrive at the checkout with a pre-scanned list of items, both of which accelerate the payment process." Except this would ime require paper bags, because plastic bags need the rack to hold them from the top, and there are neither paper or plastic at the entrance to the big store that has this.

"Shoppers still need to go to a checkout at the end of the process and retailers lose valuable floorspace to make room for storing the handheld scanners. The goal of frictionless shopping has not been fully realized.

But now there?s a new generation of Scan and Go technology. One that replaces the handheld scanner with a simple app on consumers? smartphones. The surge in contactless payments and growing use of mobile payment services, like the various OEM Pay platforms e.g. Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, are testament to the fact that consumers are embracing innovative technology. Now retailers have what they need to take this to the next level.

In the more sophisticated mobile app versions of Scan and Go, shoppers scan items with their smartphones and then easily pay for their shopping in-app, removing the need to wait in line altogether.

Your typical user journey would work like this. You download the Scan and Go app of your chosen retailer at home and link it with your preferred payment card(s). Each time you enter one of the retailer?s stores, you scan items using your phone?s camera and pack as you go. Your app adds each scanned item to your virtual cart and, when you?re done, you pay in-app and walk out of the store. Simple."

much snipped

It sounds like a lot of work while shopping, even if easier at the end.

Nov 11, 2015, Two nights ago, my 11-year-old daughter, Lorelei, accompanied me to a Kroger in Goshen, Ohio. I told Lorelei that we weren't simply grocery shopping. We were doing research for a Forbes blog post. That's when she told me that this technology is hardly new, making me feel (not for the first time) like a middle-aged dinosaur.

"England has a lot of stores that do this," she told me. "There are videos on YouTube about it." Indeed, there are.

I look at youtube but in 2015, I hadnt' watched any youtube videos about shopping!

"You pull out some paper bags from the kiosk " I'll look again if they have paper bags.

Guy isn't a fan of using smartphones to scan. He says that it's a much more difficult process in doing that, and that the handheld scanners are a lot easier. He also points out that a benefit of using the handheld scanners over the smartphone is that you aren't draining your battery.

[He accidentally shoplifts toilet paper. Daughter reminds him]

While there is a payroll and productivity gain in store this is negated by an increase in shrink or theft," Clogan says, adding that some stores, to mitigate this, will randomly check shoppers baskets, to make sure that they've scanned everything.

"Customer feedback regularly refers to the anxiety customers feel, the fear that they will be checked and will be assumed a thief by the checkout assistant. If you have one irregular check you are more likely to get audited again on future shopping trips," he adds.

Shea thinks that when grocery stores are at its most crowded, people probably will grab the scanners and use them to speed up the checkout process. He says that just having the technology automatically improves a store's brand.

"This is especially true for millennials, many of whom already shop or compare prices with their mobile phones," he says.

Shea also says that the technology can free up cashiers to do other tasks, like restocking or interacting with customers**, and he thinks it could cause people to spend more.

**Instead of making the checkout lines shorter.
Reply to
micky

rbowman posted for all of us...

It might be another store in the same chain, IE Kroger's. Or the database might be under the same UPC or ...

Reply to
Tekkie®