OT: Roundabout and 4way stop confusion

Reply to
Rod Speed

Gota google maps link ? Google maps doesn't offer it with

Reply to
Rod Speed

Reply to
""Retired"

Try

It's a Courthouse, not City Hall

Reply to
""Retired"

On 11/4/2018 2:46 PM, Clare Snyder wrote: ...

The Cimarron County Courthouse in Boise City, OK...

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7298901,-102.5136917,319m/data=!3m1!1e3

Reply to
dpb

Least that one has some parking, bugger all of that tho, not really even enough for visitors.

You reminded me of mine that I had forgotten tho.

Those two nested ones do work very well indeed. Designed by the same fella that designed Canberra.

Reply to
Rod Speed

A yank too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The UK is full of them.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Explain what trader_4 meant by "you get stuck in the circle, waiting for a pause in traffic from the opposite direction."

Reply to
Steven Watkins

I flash lights to let someone go first, if I think they're stuck and will be waiting a while.

What is a strip mall? Do you have to go in naked?

The problem is the guy who pulled out. If someone says "on you go", it means THEY are letting you go, you obviously still have to check for other cars!

Only if he's a complete buffoon.

I just flash my lights, as I'm simply saying "I'm letting you go in front of me". There's no way that could be interpreted as "I've checked all the traffic for you.

Not my problem, and in fact I've often let someone out in a similar situation to the above, and I've never once (even with the shitty drivers around here) seen someone collide or nearly collide with another car.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

:)

Well, I doubt there's ever much of a line waiting to visit the CH in Boise City...the whole county population probably isn't 2,000.

That outdoes Harding County, NM, about 150 mi to the SW by a factor of

3X, though... :)
Reply to
dpb

Lights always cause problems.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Lights do not improve traffic flow, they f*ck it up.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

There's really no point in upgrading one part if another part isn't fast enough. It's like putting a faster graphics card into a computer with a slow CPU. IF there's one single bottleneck on a route, like a narrow bridge, by all means upgrade that. But why upgrade a junction if the roads leading to and from it aren't wide enough?

Actually I'd say a roundabout would help there. Look how many cars are on the junction in your photo. Three. Just three. A roundabout would have dozens of them all going round at once.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

If the outbound roads are blocked, it doesn't matter what type of junction you have (you need to upgrade something somewhere else), but otherwise a roundabout allows smooth flow.

Even if you go into it and then can't get out?!

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Huh? Surely, as in the UK, you cannot legally enter the roundabout if someone is already on it in your way. So how can someone on the roundabout possibly get blocked? They have priority.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

This is a city with cross streets every 50-100 meters and some of them have enough cross traffic to require a light. I am not sure how you avoid it.

Reply to
gfretwell

I just remembered that we have one in one of ours too. Its at this intersection. Doesn't show on the street view because its more recent than the latest street view.

Works fine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I don't like lights either but eventually traffic gets bad enough that you need them. People around here are nuts about them tho. Every little neighborhood wants their own light where their little street meets the main road. They would rather wait every time for a green light than have to make a decision about when it is safe to go, maybe waiting a few minutes every once in a while. You end up with the main streets having a light every 500 meters. The only saving grace is they are becoming more computer controlled so traveling on the main road is not interrupted that much. The computer decides when those people can pull out from their little street.

Reply to
gfretwell

The law is you are not supposed to enter an intersection until you are sure you can clear it and in a lot of places "blocking the box" comes with a hefty fine. It is how you avoid gridlocked cities.

Reply to
gfretwell