OT Removing w10

Seems M$ forced my neighbor to upgrade , even though she clicked NO all the way thru . No I know it's been discussed in a previous thread , but I need to know how to uninstall it for her . Probably some interest , and a separate thread will make the info easier to find ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Using the Start Menu, open up "Settings" Click on "Update & Security" Navigate to the "Recovery" section. There will be a "Go back to ..." heading Click on "Get started" and follow the bouncing ball.

Hope.

Reply to
Don Y

Thanks Don . This just happened a couple of days ago , and she's pissed . Can't get her email , lost all her web bookmarks , and she thinks it just plain sucks - can't find anything !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

There is a limited window in which she can do this. I think it is

30 (or maybe 90?) days. Of course, the machine has no way of knowing what day it is (or how many days have passed) unless it can talk to something authoritative outside of itself (time server, MS web site, etc.)

OTOH, if you try to set the PC's clock backwards, it probably will know (all it has to do is keep track of the most recent time while it is running, then look at the current time and note if it precedes the "most recent time").

This won't be an issue for her -- unless the clock is broken on her PC (bad CMOS battery). But, in light of this, now would NOT be a good time to "fix the clock" if it has been wrong all along! :>

And, for others reading over our shoulders, obviously you can't roll back to an earlier OS if you didn't UPGRADE from an earlier OS!

I'd be curious to know how her "downgrade" experience goes!

[If you have the time/inclination and some NON-WINDOWS tools to do so (you don't want windows watching you do it), you might want to image her disk and make a note of the current time. That way, if she botches something, you could restore the image, reset the PC's clock and try again.]

The data she thinks she has "lost" is still there. It's just not accessible via the same mechanisms that she was accustomed to!

Reply to
Don Y

She may have some other underlying problem that can bite her too. Upgaded four computers to W10 and none hiccuped. I have five more to do and expect no problems.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've seen a few of those upgrades crater. Doesn't happen very often, but there is a risk in updating operating systems on the fly. A clean install is generally better. Microsoft's actions in forcing, or at least tricking, users into upgrading to Windows 10 are very reckless, particularly when it comes to business users. (Apparently their latest trick is if you simply dismiss the upgrade notice that is considered accepting the upgrade.)

Reply to
Roger Blake