OT Online Banking

Wells Fargo finally started allowing check deposits by cellphone in Georgia. You can use your phone to log into the bank and deposit a check by taking a photo of the front and back of the check.

As far as I know, you still can not scan a check with a home scanner and upload the image to the banks's secure area. Being able to deposit a check by cellphone is better than having to take it to the bank, but I wonder why you could not do the same thing using a home scanner? My scanner takes a much clearer image of the check than my cellphone does.

I don't know if most scanners do this, but I know mine doesn't. In a case of making a copy of a check or insurance card or driver's license, it would be nice to be able to put the card on the scanner and have it scan the picture of the front and then move the card down and let the scanner take a picture of the back and combine both images.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Scanners can make photo files too. All sorts of options. Maybe that is one of the problems, the phone will give a consistent image from everyone while every scanner may be set to default to some other file, TIFF, PDF, JPG, whatever.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How does the bank know that you are honest and don't deposit the same check into multiple banks at the same time and how does the issuer of the check get the cancelled check back? I would imagine the bank would allow you to photograph the check as a deposit but possibly they place a hold on the money until the physical check is provided. It seems a system that is ripe with potential for fraud. Also what do the banks charge for this type of service.

Reply to
EXT

The service is free. I think your take on the hold is correct. It is just like any check. If there is insufficient funds or if you try to cash the check twice, the bank can subtract the deposit and may or may not charge you a fee.

Reply to
Metspitzer

My bank knows I'm an honest guy.

I guess you can deposit into multiple banks, but it will eventually get caught by the issuing bank when they start to get duplicates. Each check does have a number on it so the second one would be kicked out.

The banks to not return checks any more. I don't even get an image, but I can print one from the on-line account if needed. Our commercial account at work does return images (but not the actual check) and the checks I deposit by phone come back yellow instead of white. Not sure why or why it would matter.

As for fees, they do not charge. Yet. I have read that banks are considering charging for the convenience of not visiting them. I don't remember the last time I actually spoke with anyone at my bank. Oh, about a year ago they did call and asked if I wanted to borrow any money. I've not spoken with the tellers or branch manger in a few years and use the ATM at the supermarket.

When I make a phone deposit, in minutes I get an email that it was received. Then I get an email by 7 PM that it is approved and in my account.

Things happen quickly now, no more living on the float like you could in the past.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I figured that banks implemented this on smartphones because it gives them a degree of control over the app and the environment it runs in. But that doesn't assure that the thing being imaged is actually a check. Just a coule days ago some tweakers were busted with the printer they were using to make and pass bad checks. So these apps might really be a tweaker'a best friend. I think the reality is that banks don't care about fraud. It's a small % of their transactions and they do everying they can to shift the costs to someone else.

When a check is converted with one of these apps does it become a subatitute check or an EFT?

Fake ID

This older article has some background info on the process

"New wave of banking: Check deposit via smart-phone photo"

It says there are some Credit Unions that allow use of home PC scanners.

Reply to
Retired

They don't. He doesn't.

But when his bank gets the second request for funds for the same amount from the same account with the same numbers, the fraud-stompers are alerted immediately. They will probably make it to the airport before you do.

If you are NOT cheating, the photo you sent eventually ends up at the payer's bank, who will let him see it online for free, or print a copy for an unjustified fee.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Wow...I'm really glad this check deposit app is available. In 72 hours I'm going to receive the $12,700,000 check that the corrupt, senior officials in South Africa have been keeping from me. A really nice guy sent me an email and all I had to do was send him my personal information. Now that he has that he is going to free up the funds that were approved a long time ago but delayed by the corrupt officials.

Once that check arrives, I'm gonna snap a picture of it, send it to my bank and I'll be on easy street.

Sweet!

Reply to
DerbyDad03