OT. No Driver

A couple guys must have been testing Tesla's Auto Pilot.

The car hit a tree at high speed. The driver's seat was empty.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Hey Dean, let me show you how great my car is. I'll sit in the back and it will get us home. Just watch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've read that horses were pretty good at that, home being where the oats were. Maybe it's time to go back to an appropriate green technology.

Reply to
rbowman

Is this a case of hand me a beer and watch this ?

A play on hold my beer and watch this.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That reminds me of one of the times I was riding a motorcycle through Florida in the early 2000s. I came up alongside a fellow rider who had slid back onto the passenger seat and was resting against his sissy bar, feet up on his tank, ankles crossed, arms folded on his chest. We made eye contact and waved to one another, but then I immediately put some distance between us.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I don't recall the name of the movie as it was about 50 years ago. There was a girl riding down the highway laying back like that.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I was going to suggest Easy Rider, but that's probably wrong.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Smart move. I'd get out of there too. (Mini-story. Once I thought someone was driving erratically, just a little bit. At the next light, he hit the guy in front of him. Just a little bit, but he hit him.)

Jim's post reminded me of Easy Rider too, but for a different reason.

I left my car in San Antonio, Texas and hitchhiked to to Costa Rica to see a friend, and then on to Panama. I thought I would fly back to Miami and hitchhike back to Texas from there.

But I had just seen Easy Rider and I was too scared to do it, even though I'd been hitching for months with no trouble. (This was 1971.)

Reply to
micky

There was a local incident here that surprised me. A woman and her young daughter were startled in the parking lot of a small high-end grocery store when a Tesla came very close to them. There was no driver nor anyone visible. Looks like someone about to leave the store summoned the car to pick them up. I knew that was possible, I knew that they had been testing driverless cars in some cities, but I thought so far they always had a person in the car. I had no idea that with a production Tesla you could do this. I would have been totally surprised if I saw it happen to me. And a car owner, I for sure would not have done this unless I could watch what the car was doing.

Reply to
trader_4

That just sounds ridiculous. It means I could steal a Tesla and have it dropped off at the fence from the comfort of my LaZboy, never actually seeing the car, by hacking the software.

I am really surprised the autopilot even works without the weight of the driver in the driver's seat.

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't think it was Easy Rider as this was a girl. I think she was after someone that killed someone close to her.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have not kept up with the autodrive cars, but thought that someone was suppose to be behind the wheel. I was in a friends car with the distance following radar and lane keeping. While the car would do that while riding down the interstate I thought he said he still had to have his hands on the stering wheel.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In my car you have to put your hand on the steering wheel or everything cancels. This is an example of capabilities when you over ride that function though.

Ed Pawlowski

Tesla does have a "feature" called "Summon". You use a smartphone to command the car to come to where you are standing.

Video here about how well (or not!) it works.

Anonymous

And yet another way for us to get fatter. Maybe people can use that feature after a workout at the gym.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Putting the warning, that "You are still responsible...", putting it in red is a really good idea, because that way the car owner knows that it's true. States like Texas wanted the warning to be printed in blue, or even regular-size-font black, but that pinko commie state California insisted the warning be in red, because they want to make sure everyone obeys it. If this doesn't work, in next years owners manual, the warning will be in italics too.

Reply to
micky

LOL. Well there was that one guy chasing his car. Maybe at training camp, you could have your car take you out for a 3-mile run every morning.

Reply to
micky

They are new. Hackers have already cracked other on board computers.

Until it get's somewhere that a person knows what fuse to pull. They have trackers on boats all over down here and the trackers suddenly stop transmitting a few minutes after they are taken, then the boat is on it's way to Mexico or the Bahamas where folks are not as particular about serial numbers and HINs.

I bet a Tesla is pretty much a liquid asset in Russia or China.

Reply to
gfretwell

I could have used one of those years ago. Nothing like parking a rental in a 5 story parking garage and forgetting what level it was on and what the damn thing looked like.

Reply to
rbowman

Uh huh

Cut the antenna lead

Shows up somewhere but not necessarily where it will end up. When they steal boats the tracker usually stops long before it is clear where they are heading.

How does that work? Are you saying if I am out in the boonies somewhere out of cell tower range my Tesla stops? That sounds like bullshit.

Explain.

Reply to
gfretwell