OT: Newsgroup client suggestions

Newsguy.com is good. I like the fact that they toss in a web site for my use. About $65/yr, less than 20 cents a day. When you pay, you can have expectations. Looks like it may not be the best deal in town, but it's been working fine.

Reply to
Bill

I follow a couple of binaries groups, so I do pay for Giganews. Aside from that, the free server I used a while back was unreliable. It missed a lot of posts. The paid server would show say, 100 posts in a given time period, the free server would have about 90.

Perhaps other free servers are better, but my initial experience with two of them sucked.

There are probably others paid servers as good, but cheaper than the

2.99 for Giganews, but I'm too lazy to risk making the change.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well you should try aioe for the text groups and see if there's a difference.

And you know that the missing 10 posts were not spam?

You should mention which server it was that you claim was missing posts, and when exactly this was.

Which two were they?

And if I may say, your argument about them "sucking" just doesn't cut it.

Reply to
Home Guy

And you use it for binary downloads - or just text?

The only thing I expect if I were to pay to access a usenet server would be to download binary posts. Do you have other expectations?

My binary downloads are satisfied gratis by one-click hosters (aka file-lockers).

Reply to
Home Guy

I don't have to mess around switching.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Earthlink still provides usenet including binaries. I forget to whom they farmed the actual service operation,

Reply to
Dan Coby

Switching - what?

Reply to
Home Guy

from eternal_September

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

What a brain trust we have around here.

Reply to
Home Guy

Of course there is a difference. There would be no binaries.

Yes, I was on both servers and saw the posts missing. They were not spam, they were from regular uses of the NG, including this one.

whatever eternal-september is now

Your opinion.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Change ISPs. And tell your current provider why.

You are NOT locked in to the ISP provided by the company that owns the pipe. My cable provider is Comcast, but I use Earthlink as my ISP. Earthlink provides Giganews at no additional charge.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, I stand corrected.

Thanks

Reply to
Justin Time

"Justin Time" wrote in news:javsh5$9u9$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

I'm all for astraweb. I have ued about 1 GB of the 25 I'm entitled to for the $10 I paid in June 2008 ...

Reply to
Han

Eternal September has worked well for me for the last several years. It was down briefly only once. See:

There's no cost; but some AT&T e-mail addresses can't be registered.

Tomsic

Reply to
Nono

Agreed... I've used it in conjunction with OE for years now with no complaints.

Reply to
83LowRider

They were excellent, but the people they used to handle their payments were a complete disaster (maybe n.i.n use someone else these days) - it's the only time I've ever contacted an organisation to apologize for leaving them :-)

(I'm using motzarella/eternal-september these days, with no complaints)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Well, the IQ of the room will go up considerably as soon as you leave. This topic has been discussed to death here again and again. And it boils down to the guys who won't pay for binaries. And the guys who accept substandard service of some kind or another.

Having somebody come by and start whining about it isn't going to change anything. Why is is so important to you? I don't need to read your incessant whining. I will just ignore this thread from now on.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Han full-quoted:

I'm all for nntp.aioe.org. I have used an unknown amount of GB of the infinite I'm entitled to for the $0 I paid in June 2006.

Reply to
Home Guy

So the use of a free server (such as nntp.aioe.org) would be a satisfactory (if not cost-effective) replacement.

That server (news.wowway.com) still seems to be up and running. What happens when you try to access it using your user-name and password?

Reply to
Home Guy

So when a dolt has a retarded conversation with me, I'm the one at fault?

Yes, and my basic 2 questions have not really been answered by anyone:

1) why use a paid usenet server to read/write to text newsgroups? 2) why is eternal september better than aioe?

Um, no it doesn't.

If you want binaries - you have to pay for them.

If you want text - WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THEM?

I'd really like to know what you mean by substandard service, and who per chance is providing it?

Asking questions and pointing out when others evade them is not whining.

Why is it so important that you not answer the questions and even more, that you want me to stop asking?

Nobody's forcing you to cry like a baby in protest to my questions.

I accept your surrender of this argument to me.

Reply to
Home Guy