OT: Newsgroup client suggestions

No, but dismissing every answer you've received clearly shows you don't really want any answers to your constantly evolving questions, you jes wanna argue. Sorry, but I already have one Alzheimers mom for that.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I also use news.albasani.net Like news.eternal-september.org it's free but does not allow binaries. The two news servers do not carry the same groups so if one doesn't permit subscription to something you want, try the other one.

Reply to
Peter

I paid for certain services. I have a contract.

Reply to
Bill

Interesting. I didn't know that but I decided to check it out because I have always resented the fact that Comcast and Verizon both killed off their Usenet service that used to be included with my Internet service. I have Comcast now and, based on what you wrote, I thought I would check to see if I could change to EarthLink for Internet.

Unfortunately, when I went to EarthLink.com I found out that the only Internet service they have in my area is DSL and Satellite. I can't use my Comcast cable Internet service or Verizon FIOS (if I had that) to get EarthLink Internet service. I assume that it is available elsewhere as you have suggested, but not where I am located.

Reply to
Ron

If the services *you utilize* includes binary downloading, then great. More power to ya.

If you're paying for access to text groups (and you don't download binaries) then that's ok too. You're happy to pay for something that is widely available at no cost. It's your right to do it.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't clearly and unambiguously admit to it.

Reply to
Home Guy

That's what I've been using. Took a few tries to get it working, but no trouble at all since then.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Not likely.

Every topic has been discussed to death. In fact, bringing up that lame argument has been discussed to death...

And it

That's plain bogus. First, I use a free server, Eternal-September and have not had any problems, no dropped mail, nothing. Second, I pay for Astraweb for my binaries. So I use both free and paid, just on that, you are wrong.

Whining has been discussed to death on here, again and again. Whining about it won't change a thing. BTW, After reading about Astraweb on here over and over, and over, I finally decided to try it out. So for me, and I'm sure others, things did in fact change because of repeated posts on the subject.

Reply to
Jack

I don't know dick about aioe, but I don't like the idea of no username and password. Too wide open for abuse for me.

How's that?

Reply to
Jack

If you want binary support I have been pretty happy with Giganews.

Reply to
gfretwell

It isn't that open, the logging is pretty good, with aioe, the only problem I had with them years ago was a 25 post limit/24 hours per IP.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

"To order EarthLink Cable over Comcast lines, call 1-866-570-8333 and they will initiate the switch. The first step is to speak with the EL rep and check availability. They will then set you up with your first email address and then transfer you to Comcast so they can make the switch on their end. Comcast takes about 10-15 minutes to do their part and they will either call you back or you can stay on hold for the next step. They will send you to the online provisioning page to reprovision you with EarthLink as your ISP. Your domain will then switch from Comcast to EarthLink."

Good luck.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's like not buying a new car because it doesn't come with built-in GPS. Who cares? The built-in (which is already woefully out of date) isn't as good as any of the stand alone units, or any of the free gps apps you can get for your phone.

This whole usenet process is woefully out of date which is why every isp on earth has or will drop it. Yet, all the dinosaurs like us still use it for whatever reason.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Two people divided by a common language?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

One must admit that the name 'eternal september' is a bit of a joke; while the service they provide is anything but.

(In the early days of usenet, when most users were educational institutions, every september a new crop of freshmen would be introduced to usenet, and the next couple of months were crazy newbie time. When ISP's started offering NNTP feeds, usenet entered the "eternal september" zone, all newbies all the time).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The user name/password prompt window continues to pop up, I continue to click OK and the process repeats.

Reply to
Justin Time

Just FYI:

nslookup on News.wowway.com comes back with this:

FQDN: news.isp.giganews.com Alias: news.wowway.com IP address: 216.196.97.142

That IP address is owned by Giganews, and a telnet session to that host on port 119 does indeed result in a greeting by News.Giganews.com.

This *might* have been the case well before WOW announced they would turn off "their" usenet server - which is that Giganews was their usenet provider all along.

Reply to
Home Guy

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Astraweb has binaries. To repeat, I paid them $10 for 25 GB in June of

2008, and still have 24 GB available. Of course, I just look at 1 or 2 binary groups, and that only infrequently.
Reply to
Han

The project pictures would not be available without binaries. This could be important, even to woodworkers.

works for all groups (binaries included) for $3.95 one time fee and a limit of 50-65MB per day. It has been known to collapse occasionally for a few days at a time in the last few on the freebie accounts. Probably somebody's hobby servers.

----------

That's like not buying a new car because it doesn't come with built-in GPS. Who cares? The built-in (which is already woefully out of date) isn't as good as any of the stand alone units, or any of the free gps apps you can get for your phone.

This whole usenet process is woefully out of date which is why every isp on earth has or will drop it. Yet, all the dinosaurs like us still use it for whatever reason.

Reply to
Josepi

[sneck]

You, sir, "Don't know what you don't know".

It has been -proven- that Eternal-September has been 'over-aggressively' (and ERRONEOUSLY) filtering out at least some 'legitimate' postings, since early June of this year, IN A NEWSGROUP YOU PARTICIPATE IN.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I think the real reason ISPs drop usenet, particularly binaries, is because of piracy. It is the one service that is virtually impossible to police. These ISPs are increasingly becoming conglomerates in the business of selling content, not letting people share it for free. It is also harder to imbed advertising in usenet pages and to track the users for targeted spam like Google does..

Reply to
gfretwell