Safe Stop

this for real? has anyone actually used one? how accurate are they or has all the money been put in to the safety features?

wayne

Reply to
Wayne J.

Here we go again...

SawStop has been discussed _to_death_ on this newsgroup. Please do a Google Groups search to find the previous discussions (and there have been MANY). If, after reading all that, you still have any questions, then come back with them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

sorry for asking. I have read a lot on it and now I thought I would ask a few questions

Reply to
Wayne J.

Absolutely

Yes. Several posters to this group own the TS and LeeValley uses them in their stores.

From reports by users and magaaine articles the saw is top notch.

Reply to
Leon

You asked one dumb question and posted a link. Periodically, the same simple question gets posted on other (non woodworking) newsgroups too. Seems to be an underground advertising medium.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

thanks. I appreciate the answer

wayne

Reply to
Wayne J.

Dumb to you, a civil question to me.

again, sorry I bothered you.

Reply to
Wayne J.

Wayne, no need to apologize. The question has come up many times, so most people will just ignore you since you could have found out the information by googling if you really wanted to know. Others like to be helpful and will respond because they enjoy it. And then there is Doug... He has nothing better to do than respond, but instead of being helpful, he is nasty. I don't even like to think about what he is compensating for.

Reply to
Toller

I have been away for a couple of years due to illness. I am now getting back in to woodworking.

Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of this saw. I have been researching it as my old Rockwell cabinet saw has about had it. My preference would be a Unisaw, but this is really getting my interest.

thks for the help wayne

Reply to
Wayne J.

This again? Try Google.

Reply to
CW

why can't a person just ask a question and not get a civil answer?

Like I have posted above, I have researched this and I am asking for some genuine opinions. If you don't have one, then don't asnwer.

I am very sorry I cam back to this group.

thank you wayne

Reply to
Wayne J.

A Rockwell cabinet saw IS a unisaw, no?

Reply to
Larry W

"Wayne J." wrote in news:q4nWh.111119$aG1.88833@pd7urf3no:

The subject has been discussed to death. What I got from all the opinions is that the Sawstop company would like to make their patented technology obligatory in the name of safety. They could not persuade nor legislate that. So they decided to make their own machine. Apparently it is generally well made, does what it advertizes, but is expensive. You do the cost-benefit analysis.

Reply to
Han

thanks Han.

I am seeing that as it is about $2,000 higher then a Unisaw up here in Canada. I think I may still go with the Unisaw or a Jet.

I am going to go talk to a friend at Lee Valley today, though.

thks Wayne

Reply to
Wayne J.

Wayne, let me give you a helpful answer. This is the result line from an advanced google search on "sawstop":

Results 1 - 10 of 685 for "sawstop" group:rec.woodworking

Would you like for us to repeat all of the previous posts, or just the ones that pertain to what you are asking? Wouldn't it be easier just to look at the 685 previous posts on the subject in this NG, then if there is something that has not already been covered, you could ask about that?

Reply to
Robert Allison

There was nothing nasty in what I wrote. I pointed him to a place where he could get answers to his questions. What's your problem with that?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Why can't a person do a little research before asking a question that's already been answered a hundred times?

To be quite honest, I don't believe that. If you had done any research on the SawStop in Google Groups, you would have found plenty of genuine opinions, both positive and negative.

A gentle suggestion that you should do a little research on your own *is* a "genuine opinion". If you don't like it, don't read it.

You're probably not the only one.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Nasty? If you think anyone here is nasty, spend a few days over at rec.outdoors.rv-travel. Salty bunch of bastards!

BTW, ignore Doug and ask away. Most folks over here are pretty easy to get along with. Apparently it's Doug's time of the month.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I'm waiting for you to make similar comments about CW, whose response to Wayne was considerably more abrupt than mine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Eight to ten years and farther back the Unisaw would have been a good choice. Since then it simply is not what it usta be. Delta was having QC problems with the saw and their have been many reports of new Unisaws arriving with broken trunions. For a while Delta blamed the shipping company. Either way, Jet, Grizzly and Powermatic would probably be equal or better alternatives. FIY.

The SawStop is probably be a better alternative but will cost more. The SawStop has been around for 5 or 6 years and has been in production and for sale for 2 or 3 years. "Some" early models were exhibiting false triggers however those that reported this have also indicated that the SawStop people worked with them to resolve the problem. One of the problems was that a one of the users in a shop of users caused false triggers because of the electronic watch that he was wearing IIRC. Apparently some type of diode was added to the electrical circuit to solve the problem, IIRC it was also reported by the same owner that the saw triggered again with the same user but this time it saved a trip to the hospital. One of the most common questions about the saw concerning the ability to trigger is if the saw will trigger with the power off. What if the electricity goes off and the lights go out while sawing? Apparently the saw still has the ability to trigger if the power is lost or if you turn the power swath off and the blade is still spinning.

Reply to
Leon