OT New tag

My birthday is in Dec so I am just getting my 2011 tag.

I have never had the sticker stolen off of my car, but I have a friend that has had her's stolen. She says to take a box cutter and cut a couple of times across and up/down.

If someone tries to swipe it, they will stop when they discover it tears.

Reply to
Metspitzer

You wish they'd stop!

My state (Texas) used to do that - pay bags of money and get a postage-stamp sized sticker for the license plate. It was common to cut several (not one or two) diagonal lines across the tag to discourage theft.

Now the state issues decals for the driver's side interior window, next to the inspection sticker.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 1/2/2012 4:08 PM, Metspitzer wrote: ...

They've just started breaking the plate end that the tag is on around here. They can then cut it out at their leisure to attach so it makes no difference about the tag decal itself.

If they've not figured that out there yet, it won't be long methinks...

Reply to
dpb

No, they will just take the entire plate instead. Had one stolen a few years ago and I was told it is quite common.

Here in CT, we no longer have stickers. The police run the plate when they stop you anyway so they will know if it is registered and emissions are current.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ours have a serial number on them so the fraud can be discovered. Seems they should have the tag number printed on the sticker, instead.

Reply to
krw

Did you mean interior windshield, like they do in NY? The police here usually stand on the double line in the roadway so they can see the color and large sized year on the stickers as the cars approach.

Reply to
willshak

yeah, missouri even went to putting the sticker in the smack dab middle of the plate because the theivin bastards were taking tin snips and just taking the corner of the tag home to remove the sticker.

Reply to
Steve Barker

yeah, but how do they know at a glance if you've renewed it?

Reply to
Steve Barker

They have the tag number on them in Florida.

We are starting to see more cop cars with the hood cams that run the tag as soon as it sees it on the lap top and alerts the cop if there is anything wrong. They can read tags in a fraction of a second so the cop is checking every car in range of the two cameras (fore and aft) The stickers are becoming somewhat redundant. They are also integrating the insurance database into the DMV database so driving uninsured will be a little riskier.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah, it's inside.

So a cop is standing in the middle of the roadway hoping: A. He doesn't become a statistic, and B. A driver will stop when directed to do so.

No, that technique wouldn't work in Texas. Or very many other places, I'd bet.

Reply to
HeyBub

The cop is only the spotter, There will be a cop up the road a ways sitting in a cruiser. When I was in Maryland they had cops running out into traffic on the beltway pulling over speeders. If you didn't stop, the guy who chased you in a car tacked on an "evading" charge.

Reply to
gfretwell

Wish they would do that here. Our insurance company said that 25% of the drivers in the state are driving, illegally, without insurance. The insurance rates are sky high because of it.

Reply to
krw

The technology is in place here to really put a stop to driving without insurance but I think there is a political component. The left will see this as a racist policy if they end up with a lopsided ratio of arrestee. The law is really tough tho, They can tow your car if you don't have insurance and you still get a ticket. This is all online and the cop can see it. The fear may be that there may be errors in the database

Reply to
gfretwell

In Illinois it's probably a "fake" insurance check when you renew tags online. Won't proceed without entering a policy, but you could probably put Mickey Mouse in there. Here's a real winner. I just went on-line to a bank account to check a CD maturity date. It was a minor hassle setting up on-line access in the first place. Had to plug in an answer to all these questions.

1st kid middle name 1st pet fav food hs graduated from fav movie elem school city born fav fict character fav vacation dest fav restaraunt fav dessert honeymoon location fav album fav car model

I had put this in the slick PIM I use to go on-line, so I had all this info locked in, not on a piece of paper I could lose. In the past the account always asked for the answer to 2 questions, randomly. You have to write this crap down, because some of the answers change. Like favorite food. I put down ribs. But if I smelled bacon when I was logging on, I would be confused.

Anyway, I haven't been on this account for half a year or so. And my computer has been restored and I'm using a different browser, so there's no cookie. So after I put in my ID and password, I was presented with 14 questions and asked to answer any 2 of them. So what's the problem with that? NONE OF THE QUESTIONS WERE THE ABOVE QUESTIONS!!!!!! Not a one! They were all different questions I had never answered. Like "sisters's middle name" and other nonsense. Hell, I've got 4 sisters and they don't know any of them. So I figure I'm going to have to get on the phone to them. But for kicks I answered my Dad's birthplace and middle name. Terre Haute and ******* It took me to my account. What a joke those "security" questions are. They don't know those answers are correct. Now I'm going to have to call their IT department anyway. It's the right thing to do, because I have to assume they don't know about it. I sure hope it's a bug and not designed that way.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Indiana has two stickers...one for month/day, the other for the year. Both have the plate number on the sticker.

Reply to
Norminn

Try to stop the driver? No way! Just mail a summons to the vehicle owner.

Reply to
Norminn

Do people who don't live around here know what the beltway is?

I'm asking other people mroe than you, gf.

Everyone, do you know?

Some time ago in another part of the country, I was supposed to go to a girl's house and I asked her if she lived inside or outside the beltway, and either I couln't manage to explain to her what I meant or she didn't know.

Reply to
micky

On 1/3/2012 1:24 PM, micky wrote: ...

Well, those who have been there or been places where the vernacular is used (Raleigh, NC) is one other understand, yes.

Very many places that even if there is one, don't use it in that fashion in direction-giving, however.

I would consider it a sign of the insider bias that thinks that should be universally understood to mean what you think it means, not the other way 'round of faulting the local.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes, but they'd have to have a process for the insurance companies to report cancelled policies. They don't and where they do, it's much less than perfect. I know people who have had their licenses suspended after they switched insurance companies. Not good either.

Reply to
krw

That is supposed to be part of the system. It is supposed to be updated immediately ... but it is the government.

Personally I think insurance companies should replace DMV entirely. Let them issue the tags and manage titles. They are the ones with the real skin in the game and they have an interstate computer system that is up to the task. If you drop your insurance, an insurance company would immediately invalidate your tag and until another insurance company picked it up you would be flagged by the cops.

At least, if there was an error you would have a real company to sue. You would not be in that futile exercise of trying to get the government to admit an error. The reality is, if they really coordinated their systems, an insurance transfer would be seamless.

Reply to
gfretwell