OT. New Mexico Fuel Standards

The New Mexico governor wants average fuel mileage to be

52 mpg by 2025.
This article is criticizing the governor for the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. I can sure understand officials using bigger vehicles for official business if they need security people or others with them. This is a list of vehicle's current fuel economy.
Dean Hoffman

We should all do our part. Poor fuel mileage is why I won't buy a Lamborghini.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I suppose if you can afford a Rolls or a Lambo, you don't care what the mileage is.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was getting my car serviced at a dealer and two others were there talking. They were getting along just fine. I forgot what car one man had,but the other had a Cadillac . The first man said he go so many miles per gallon and asked the other. He said as he could afford to buy the Caddy the gas mileage did not make any difference and he never checked it. First man walked away after that.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm on an auto forum. Amazing how many people buy $60k to $80k cars and wonder if it is OK to use regular instead of the recommened premium.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It would not surprise me that many that drive the $ 50 to $ 80 thousand are just barely able to make the payments on them.

It is when you get to the range of probably over 100 to 150 thousand or more that the price of gas does not matter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Not amazing at all. Presumably those are the ones that can afford to buy $60k to $80k cars because they are careful about their money.

Reply to
Alex

You really cannot or should not legislate science or technology. Plus I do not think states can override feds. Maybe California can because of densely populated regions but New Mexico? Car companies may say they can do it but will lie and fudge.

Only in Communist China or place like that can say no more gas stations can be built and all cars must be electric by a certain date.

Sad thing is that many in US want dictatorial government.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't have a clue what the gas mileage is on any of my vehicles. I suppose I could punch it up on the Lincoln, I just haven't bothered, It is what it is.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is true When my wife was selling air conditioners she said it was not unusual to go to a big house in a gated community with a Lexus and a Benz in the driveway and they couldn't qualify for a $5000 loan to get their AC replaced. OTOH she could go out to Immokalee and sell a Latino a system for his trailer and he would pay cash.

Reply to
gfretwell

When I was in New Mexico 15 years ago the locals were complaining that they were being invaded by Californians who were bringing all their baggage with them. I think that is happening throughout the west.

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, Ralph, I wouldn't go that far before I bought the car, but after I bought it, I don't see much reason to worry about mileage that I probably cannot change much.

What forum is that? (I'd like to meet a rich guy.)

Reply to
micky

genesisowners.com

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I guess that's not for me. I'm still working on exodus.

Reply to
micky

I'm sure many people can, but I already drive in a way not to waste gas, and I don't think I can improve it any more.

Reply to
micky

I have no idea what kind of mileage my car gets. When the gas gauge gets low, I fill it. I drive where I want to. Admittedly, that isn't very much. Work, grocery store, across town for take-out. Maybe 10,000 miles a year? I don't keep track of that either.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Sad that the right wing loons try to equate trying to reduce CO2 to save the planet with dictatorial govt. We didn't see you here complaining when Trump was ruling by exec order, nor when he tried to stage a coup to stay in power. The latter was a direct attempt at dictatorial government. If responsible govt did not act, do you think the gas companies would have removed lead from gas as quickly as they did? Would companies have stopped pouring chemical waste into rivers? Reduced emissions from coal plants? Raised the MPG of cars? What stopped people from throwing garbage out windows and sewage running down the streets? Must have all been dictators.

Reply to
trader_4

Go down to Mississippi and have a crawdad and a beer with Joyce.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is white line fever compared to me. I probably do around 2000 a year these days. Gasoline cost doesn't even bump the needle on my spending and I drive it like I stole it.

Reply to
gfretwell

That stopped? I see your storm drains are clogged with trash (and murder weapons).

gfretwell