OT: Neutering pets

I once applied for a job in a different department of the same place. The one I was in gave me a promotion not to move. Which was funny, because I didn't get the job, since there were over 250 applicants.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Eh?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only if there's a lot of water inbetween.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Driving is far more convenient, you can stop at nice places along the way, where and when you want to.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I like driving. And it's not necessarily longer. There's no 2 hour check in. You can leave when you need to, not when the next flight does. Imagine both of us wanted to leave at the same time to get to the same far away place, you'd have to wait until the next flight, book in early, probably have to stop and change flights somewhere after going in the wrong direction, whereas I just drive.

There's a word for people like that.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How long?

I thought the 2 hours check in was worldwide. No idea what it's for as I've only flown once.

Better that than being bored sat still.

It is not 10 times longer. Take a look at some of the Top Gear races they did between cars and public transport.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What are the distances?

And I'd prefer 7 hours of driving to 90 minutes of flight, having to park the car somewhere, having to use the times they have available, paying more money, taking less luggage, not having the car with me when I get there, ....

I detest reading, they've invented TV. And before you say bring some, no. Not on a small screen and headphones, and I might not have anything I want to watch.

Across Europe.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A few years back I went to a family do in Germany.

Most people from England flew and hired a car, some took the Eurostar and hired a car.

I drove to Dunquerque, had a nice breakfast on a leiurely ferry, and drove on.

In reality. the journey times were all within half an hour of each other. There was no clear winner.

The "Eurostars" lived in London, and had no car, so they saved on time to the train, but lost out on train times. Everyone else lost out on getting to the airport, going through check in etc etc, going through customs at the other end and hiring a car locally.

I had to wait a short time at the ferry terminal, but customs was nonexistent.

I think that is a wise move. Even when I used to visit denmark and Sweden, for an extended stay taking your own car in the ferry was a decent option. I am not sure those ferries still exist though - nope. There are no passenger/car ferries going from UK to Scandinavia any more

I do have a journey time via calais for Copenhagen though. 24 hours non stop to Cambridge.

These days leaving out complexities of Brexit and Coivid, Id probably still drive if I had the time, and break the trip into 3 days

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A few times a yer I make a trip From mid FL to south NJ. It is 17 hours driving, 1120 miles. I choose to drive. On my end, I' nearly an hour to the airport, on the other end, about two hours. Factor in parking for 2 weeks, either car rental or my friend picking me up an hour each way, driving is not so bad.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

580km in 7 hours = (converting to imperial) an average of 50mph. Speed up. I've done central Scotland to Dover (500 miles) in 6 hours, an average of 80mph.

Why do you detest driving?

Which charges you no doubt.

I want to be somewhere on my schedule, not the airline's.

Why work harder so you can pay for unnecessary things?

I might be visiting a relative and have some big things to give to them. Or I might have a large tent with me.

Anything I like?

No, I just dismissed your point effectively.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only the worry warts.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'd say take the fun out of.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I drove into Paris by mistake once (in the rush hour), it was fun. And cool to see how good French drivers are. Everyone reacted to everything and drove smoothly. If I wanted to change lane, I just turned on the indicator, and a space appeared.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why the f*ck would you want to be legal?

Gotta get round or through London. You make up for it on the motorways earlier. On a long journey in Australia, surely most of it is open roads.

You clearly don't enjoy it much, or you'd take the car.

But driving is fun.

You are unusual.

Depends on your tastes. I hate the flavour of almost every alcoholic drink, hence I add fruit juice to plain alcohol.

Depends why you're going where you're going. My holidays usually require me to be able to move around a lot when I get there.

And watch on a tiny screen?

Just watch the damn race.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Don't tell me it's like France over there. In the UK it's only £100, which you could easily afford. You only lose your license if caught 4 times in any 3 years.

Besides, I haven't been caught for 10 years, since I got a decent satnav with fixed and mobile spots in the database.

Australia has the same population as Scotland right?

I have driven from here to the south of France in one go. It was fun.

Taste is different for everyone. Why should it change with age? In fact it doesn't, kids love beer.

I was referring to having the car with me.

You have a 42" ipad?

It would favour the car there because of less congestion.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In message snipped-for-privacy@ryzen.lan, Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com writes

I don't believe you.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I hitched a ride in a souped up Rover 3500 that did Birmingham to Hampstead in less than an hour..

Before the days of speed cameras...at 3 a.m.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a friend who, in a suitably geared Cortina used to do London to Darlington in 3 hours. Mind you that was in the days before the 70mph limit.

Reply to
charles

Why not? Most of the motorway was 100mph, slowing occasionally for cameras and traffic.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The limit only applies when the pigs are watching.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey