OT: Neutering pets

Why is neutering animals (pet cats for example) considered acceptable? Anyone who owns a pet should treat them as they would treat a child. Guess what happens when you neuter your child? You go to jail.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Pets aren't people.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Nutering some pets makes them more like pets instead of wild animals from what I have been told. Also helps to keep the unwanted animal population down.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You could say the same about neutering some people.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Poor analogy. Both pets and humans have a minimum age requirement for treatments to block reproduction. However, when a man or woman is old enough to get a vasectomy or tubal ligation (in the US), they will already be a legal adult.

Reply to
kelown

Unfortunately the difference is that humans go not go around in the middle of the night having sex randomly with other humans without taking precautions. How do you tell a cat to take the pill?

Besides, Cats seem to nearly always be on. Would you prefer to be over run with feral cats and dogs instead? Just look at what has happened to the fox population in towns. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Never experienced Newcastle night life then ?

Reply to
soup

I suppose they could do a vasectomy on the males, but tomcats would still go around spraying their urine everywhere.

Reply to
Max Demian

Would they? Surely with being vasectomised (Wd?) they would stop all aggressive behaviuor including marking their territory.

Reply to
soup

No, they will still have testosterone. Does a human that has a vasectomy change their behavior and physiology?

Reply to
rbowman

They don't do a vasectomy though, they cut their balls off. Different results.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's not up to us to change their ways. You wouldn't like it if a cat did it to you. Humans need to stop playing god.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Indeed. For tomcats, it decreases their urge to roam, causing less conflict with other cats and with vehicles, reducing injuries and deaths and increasing their lifespan - so it is not without benefit for the individual cat.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The difference is a human can answer the question "do you want it?" A cat cannot. So what we do to cats is the same as doing it to a human without asking.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you believe that, you don't deserve to have a pet. What you've got there is a farm animal.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They deserve to live their lives as they wish, which includes sex.

Unwanted by who? Selfish humans? I doubt the animals mind.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We need to neuter a lot. 7 billion is an unworkable population. Why do people keep on adding to it?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Do we ask them if they want to be locked in our houses?

When are you going to start a thread about that pressing issue?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Bullshit.

Some farm animals are not eaten, sheared or ridden, including some that don't lay eggs.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Yes. If the cat wants to come it it meows for entry. When it wants to go out it scratches the door, or more accurately the flashing I put on the door. In the summer the indoor time is a brief inspection to make sure I'm not hiding treats. In the winter it prefers being warm although I evict it when I go to work.

I was curious about boarding cats and one of the local businesses has a website with photos of the 2' x 3' 'cat condos'. A few days locked in one of those for a cat who goes where he damn well pleases would really sweeten his personality. He's be able to star in another remake of 'Pet Sematary'.

The cat was missing his balls when he showed up in my yard; I had nothing to do with it. Maybe that was why he was shopping for a new home.

Reply to
rbowman