Cats and gravel

OK, i recently gravelled a section of my front yard using 10mm pea gravel, and since then every cat in the neighbourhood has been using it as its personal litter tray.

I was wondering, would putting down 20mm gravel in its place solve the problem? As its larger they cant paw it over so well.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Reply to
Dark Angel

I used 20mm chippings specifically to prevent the well-known problem of small gravel attracting cats to use it as a litter tray. Over the past 10 years, none of the 6 tonnes I put down has tempted any cats.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Putting a big dog there might help. Or a water pistol.

Reply to
Mogga

Yep, I laid an area of 20mm gravel not long ago and cats crap all over it. Don't think the turds gets buried in it as much as they would with

10mm, so you may regard that as a benefit. I suspect it depends on what other substrates are available nearby for your local cat population, as to whether they choose your gravel.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes. You are up cat-crap creek.

Cats seem conditioned to litter trays and you have provided a nice big one for them. It gets worse as the smell gets bedded into the stuff and attracts more.

Only suggestion would be to liberally dose the stuff with pepper or jeyes fluid. The smell from it will put them off for a while but it may kill you off as well.

Cats are becoming a menace here and have surged from four to over twenty this summer. It's becoming impossible to leave a door or window open without one or another from calmly walking in. And I like them. :((

Reply to
EricP

Strange as I have 20mm gravel round the back, but they dont crap there. Though that may be because my back yard is fairly enclosed, wheras the front is open.

Reply to
Dark Angel

In article , Dark Angel scribeth thus

Yes the moggy we've just acquired can cope with 20 mil!, takes its time farting about, makes several "Test holes" before deciding which one to crap in, then a really elaborate cover up operation around 5 mins from start to finish!...

SWMBO is now digging up a corner of the lawn and is going to persuade matey to give that area a go!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Have you told her that she's going to be disappointed, or are you going to let her discover the hard way?

Unless this place is kept scrupulously clean and attractive, pussy will find other places to be better and will go there instead.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:37:02 +0100, Andy Hall wrote: ....

If she puts best quality non-peat free compost and some expensive plants in it , the cat is bound to use it. A roof to keep it dry would be appreciated too.

Reply to
OB

I've got 20mm gravel on my front harden & drive and find the odd poo there, but I'm not convinced its just cats - we have urban foxes. Are they likely to crap the same as cats do?

I saw one t'other night & lobbed a handful of gravel at it, most of which made contact - haven't seen it since.

20mm gravel is a better missile :-)
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They do crap, yes.

As to the size of the Richards, it depends on the size of the animal. I've seen small foxes and there are certainly large cats.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Better to bury the cat in the hole and be done with it.

Reply to
Geoff Beale

don't know the company BTW).

Mark

We've now got Deer turning up in our front garden sometimes lovely creatures and very timid, all due to the guided busway works across the way from here disturbing them!....

Reply to
tony sayer

What's a guided busway?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's an ordinary road bus which runs in a concrete channel. Sensors on the bus detect the channel and do the steering. Because the bus is controlled so precisely the busway can be narrower than an ordinary bus lane.

Sort of like a tram with an internal combustion engine, that doesn't need tramlines.

They've got one in Edinburgh, goes past the Screwfix depot.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Found an interesting link on that page

was sceptical about those spray deterrents but just look at the cat in those videos!

I use the ultrasonic scarers and they do seem to work, but you need a few of them to overlap coverage for a larger area. For the first few days the cats didn't seem to care about the noise - one even sat near it! It took a couple of weeks for them to get the message. Haven't found any presents on the lawn since then so perhaps they like to do their business in peace and quiet? The ones I bought were from ebay for about £16 each. Worth buying the power adaptor too as they get through two PP3s every couple of months.

However the scarers do have the (un?)wanted side effect that all the kids in the area can also hear them...

Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

Tramway? with rubber tyres?

Reply to
<me9

So does it have a driver? If it does, I don't see what's gained.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I bet the kids love it too ;-)

And dogs? I wonder if it scares away desriable wildlife too?

Mark