OT Neighbor (rant)

Thomas Jefferson said ?My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.? My general understanding of TJ is that, with a few exceptions, he believed that Government shouldn't be involved in micromanagement of its citizens and industries.

Of course, one's personal philosophy will color how such writings are interpreted.

Their grand experiment HAS stood the test of time, yes. But how much resemblance does it bear to the ideals they had in mind when the framed the Constitution? In my mind, its a cursory resemblance. Sure, better than most places in the world, but IMO, that's in spite of what we've done to our country since WWII.

Reply to
Ryan P

He also was against the Party system, fearing that any political party would eventually become an entity that exists to perpetuate itself, rather than to benefit the People.

Looks like he was right, based on the Democrat and Republican parties.

Reply to
Ryan P

Ask any exterminator that's been in the business for a long time, who can remember using DDT. DDT was more effective at controlling pests. The US even urges countries with malaria problems to use it.

Of course, it needs to be used properly. When used properly, its not an evil scourge any more than carbon dioxide is a "hazardous gas."

Agreed. In fact, let's add a trashing and reforming of all the disability systems. I know of people who are perfectly capable of working who are collecting SSI disability, at the same time as other people who ARE legitimately unable to work full time that "don't qualify."

Blackwater is given a bulk contract. We know how much money we give them, and what benefit (or liability) we get from them. It should be relatively easy to weigh that against the cost of having military units (and all the associate support costs that go along with a deployment) doing the same work.

Reply to
Ryan P

What's the going rate for "plausible deniability" nowadays?

RicodJour

Depends where you look. Politicians that vote on bills they've never read receive pretty hefty gifts from lobbyists.

Reply to
Ryan P

I was referring to Blackwater.

RicodJour

I know. I was assuming you were implying that Blackwater = Bad. I chose not to engage in that line of conversation, because IF that is your opinion, there's no point in discussing it. Nobody ever changed anyone's mind on Usenet. :)

Reply to
Ryan P

-snip-

I think you recall incorrectly. A recent Ellis bio is titled,"His Excellency, George Washington" [or something like that] - but he was known as "His Excellency" when he was the General of the Army.

When the title for presidency was first discussed, and Washington was president, Adams' suggestion was "His Highness, the president of the United States and Protector of the Rights of the same" - Washington chose 'President of the United States.' and further designated that Mr. President was title enough.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

wrote

Quite true. My Mom didnt raise me that way. She said 'Carol, you can do anything you set your mind to, if you study up on it'. She's right.

Neat thing to have!

Reply to
cshenk

I am not thrilled with Blackwater, but that is not what I was saying. You know what they say about assume. Blackwater is the military equivalent of having all part time employees so you don't have to comply with regulations that would hamper your operation. You know, weasels. I have had my changed on and by Usenet. You haven't? That's scary.

RicodJour

"cshenk" wrote

Follow-up. Don went over on one of the small ones today about noon because it needed to be measured. Cracked doorbell. He pulled it out, measured bolt width, and showed her exactly what to get. Since she needed to make a quick run anyway to a grocery (next to the big box), she took him and they got one that fits the old holes perfectly. He had it on in 5 mins and showed her how to do that.

I know these simple things are easy for *us* here, but due to her upbringing and her age (she's 19 on her own for the first time with husband deployed) there many things she's just not done 'yet'.

Trade totally even BTW as Don needed a box of brads, some sandpaper and some A1 for a marinade so the ride made it a perfect match.

Good thing it happened too as he noted the back seat driver side seatbelt had a worn edge and shouldn't be used to put her kid's carrier or anyone in. He only noted it because in Sasebo he used to check for such at his auto-mechanic job and it was habit. The rip was not obvious to the eyes being just under seat level but the belt was 50% severed somehow? It's also an easy fix so he put the kid on the back passenger side which was fine and told her what to get and to call him to replace it when she has the part (Autoparts 2 miles away but other direction and no rush as other side is fine).

Reply to
cshenk

Chuckle. So you have picked up a step-daughter for the next year. Shame her mom and dad didn't teach her any basic household repairs growing up. Sadly, even today, that is usually considered a 'guy' thing. On my occasional visits back home, my mother and little sisters always had a list of stuff to fix. I tried to teach my little sisters a few basics, and I think a little of it actually did stick.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I think I'd like your neighborhood. Not that mine is bad, mind you, but seems like most places I've lived people either keep to themselves or worse, go the opposite way and are way too nebby and you end up having to push them away...

current neighborhood is friendly but kind of "keep to yourself" ish but then again, I'm rarely home/outside during daylight, save for weekend days when a) it's not raining and b) I'm not off working on the Perpetual Project Car (need to bring it home one of these days...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My dad would cuss the first time a screwdriver slipped off the screw, throw the tool and be done with it. My mom built her own kitchen cabinets, will millwork shop cutting wood for her. Put them up herself. I was force-fed "Walt's Workshop" when I was a kid ... grrrr. Didn't like it then, but love TOH, Fine Woodworking and just about anything I don't know how to do. My hubby and I have had a lot of discussions about brain vs. brawn - he has a lot more muscle, but I have to engineer the heavy stuff (that I do when he isn't around because he wouldn't want it done :o)

I was fascinated in grade school by the guys who washed windows of our school, standing on the outside of the window-sill...seemed pretty close to Superman stuff at the time because the windows were about 10' tall :o)

Reply to
norminn

Grin, note she at least got good parental training in this! (snips)

Hehehe another 3 months but she seems a keeper sort of personality. Very sweet 'kid' from my age aspect.

I don't really know her story other than some sketchy details (note, her name is not listed deliberately). Middle income big city apartment type, was delighted to live in first actual single dwelling house. Got the impression it was 'call the apartment manager' all her life? She may have been in places where 'self repair' was not allowed.

She strikes me as bright and willing to learn but with minimal skills as of yet to find out 'how to do this'. Her emails make it clear she wants to learn and her actions show she's no 'leech'. In fact, she just emailed an offer to cut the grass for one of our more elderly (fixed income) folks if they will watch the baby while she does it and after help show her how to cut cork-wood to replace the stained contact paper in her cabinets.

It's a simple thing to *us* but they will have fun showing her how to measure the pieces and not have to cut the yard that week for it. (She has some oddly angled cabinets or wouldnt even ask that one as she's not *that* bad).

Either way, I'm enjoying the exchanges in email as she enters our little corner of the world.

Reply to
cshenk

Heheh we are a mix and match. About 1/2 want to play but we don't show up at

12pm to lunch each day!

We went 'current' with email and a little group and all are told to invite new folks if they want in. It's not a listserv but a remember to hit 'reply to all' sort of thing.

We setup the little picnics and such from email. 2-3 times a month in APR-OCT timeframe. Pretty much 'it's at the following house (almost always mine) and whatcha wanna bring this time if you want to come?

So, every 2-3 weeks we gather for a few hours and swap stories and food. Cheap food I might add since we don't have porterhouse steak on the offing when we all do this that often. Decent hotdogs and burgers or chicken tend to be the norm.

I got a picnic table in the yard and one of the bigger ones (10ft) inside the screened porch plus extra chairs so we tend to gather here. (44 ft x

13ft screened area). Result is I can host easier than most so we normally do it here now that I am back again from Japan.
Reply to
cshenk

Something called a "patent". Makes it profitable to do all the expensive research. A very good idea, actually.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I sure can use protection from having my money confiscated out of every pay check. I also don't enjoy being forced (under threat of imprisonment) to collect money for the government as part of my business.

You really think government is the only answer to that list of problems you cite? Man, you're a good subject of the government. Did you ever know freedom?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One of the earlier FL hurricanes (maybe Andrew??) they ended up spending almost as much to toss out useless donation as they did to clean up one of the harder hit areas. My favorite freelance from one of the tornadoes I worked was the well meaning group who showed up with a truckload of canned goods, but with no way to open said cans.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Did you look?

Reply to