Construction Industry Scheme

Hi

Did a small job for the local council last week, bill came to £65. Got a call from the accounts dept asking if I had a CIS certificate.

Does this apply to people like me? I know repairs to private dwelling aren't covered, but rather than bugger about with CIS I'd rather turn down jobs from the council.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just go to the tax office and ask for a card. Tell them what you do and that you are not sure if you need one. You can claim your tax back at the end of the year. The idea is that they withhold some 1/4 or so of the money for tax.

With a CIS card you can apply to work on a site.

How come this wasn't stated before you started the job? And why didn't they use their own lads? BTW, to get =A365 off them after tax you had better charge =A388 or so.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

They are pretty painlesss to get from the tax office. One source of ID and a photo is enough to be given one immediately ISTR. Send the council a photocopy. The system works OK - you get a bit of paper from the council saying what tax has been deducted and then you have a smaller tax bill when the time comes. Mind you they will be obsolete from next year cos the system is being 'improved'

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

I've never had to use mine (never worked on site, or for the council) but AIUI the system has changed and I don't think they give out cards anymore. Your local tax office should know but it might be worth double checking as they can be wrong about things. Do you have an accountant? Mine is an ex tax inspector and is well clued up. You could ask yours.

Reply to
John Stumbles