boiler scrappage scheme - via nPower

Well I had nPower out today to quote me for a system. At the moment I have an old Thorn M56, and a h/w cylinder, gravity fed system.

For initial ease of things, I was thinking about dumping the h/w cylinder and whacking in a combi. However, the chap for nPower, who was actually a technical person, rather than a normal sales bod (been drafted in to cover the massive demand), suggested that given the house is classed as 6 bed, but only with 1 bathroom (currently), that I would be better off installing a system boiler and a pressurised system. 100 year old semi, now with cavity wall insulation, PVCu d/g sash to the rear of the properly, wooden d/g sash to the front, loft insulation for the rear, and roof insulation soon to be installed for the front two 2nd floor rooms.

This would mean: - new boiler - new pressurised water cylinder - my two header tanks could be removed from the loft

He also suggested TVRs on all rads (seems logical), but suggested that as the system would now be pressurised, rather than gravity fed there could be an issue with valves leaking.

I am not sure of the age of the system, apart from a sticky label on the boiler saying "Fernox installed Jul 86". So if I assumed the everything in the system was that age, then it would not seem unreasonable to replace the valves/fit TVRs, however nPower do this for £40/rad (I have 14 rads currently), so that adds an extra £680 to the bill - ouch!

Given the price (around £2400 - not including valve changes) I have got for a combi from nPower (this included their £400 to match the government scheme), but not the actual scrappage money/voucher which I need to apply for, I would imagine I could do a pressurised unvented system for about the same money. nPower think their quote would be about double, as they price each item with a "standard install" cost, so the cost remains the same if they are in and out in a day, or stuck with a pig of a job which takes them a week or two....

SE boiler: £800-£1000 Unvented indirect cylinder: £610 Timer: £130 (most expensive I can find in screwfix cat)

I am hoping I could do most of the work myself, and just get a local chap to give me the green light (fitting things like the flue to apply with all appropriate regs, etc) and to do the actual gas supply work. If not, then I might have to pay to have the boiler fitted and plumbed up, but that should probably only be a days work.

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with my logic? I would be new to plumbing, but my father did his house (whole boiler install, etc), so I would have a suitable mentor, but the initially install would primarily just moving a few pipes to fit the boiler, and then a subsequent job would be to re-route the h/w pipes to the bathroom and toilet upsets as they seem to take a rather indirect route, but that would be done with the bathroom was redone.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt A

Having done similar recently, have you a reason for wanting to change from using a header tank for the hot water? I left that side exactly as before

- but changed the primary to sealed. The mains water pressure here is poor and it would have been a retrograde step in practice. As well as adding considerably to the cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wonder about having mains prssure water every where as well. Surely you open a tap and you get a great gush of water that hits the basin and shoots up and out all over the floor...

Even 10' of head in a bathroom and tanks on the loft is enough to cause excessive splashing. The only place I can see that mains pressure might be an advantage is for a shower.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a low pressure shower too - but fed 22mm. Lovely. It's the flow not the pressure needed to clean you. I hate those high pressure low flow types. But of course it's down to choice.

Here the mains pressure/flow is so low that with the existing mains incoming pipe you just couldn't get an adequate flow on more than one thing at once. But it is an old lead one and probably furred up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed, best shower I've ever had was under a small waterfall in Jamica. High flow (gallons/sec), sod all pressure, almost knocked you to the ground. Three needle jets just don't do the job. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

... in the Masai Mara, fed by a Tanganyika boiler through a shower head about 18" in diameter.

ObDIY: When I installed the power showers here, I tried to emulate the experience, with "rainfall" style shower heads. It worked very well.

Reply to
Huge