Boiler insurance

Just had to call out NPower under the Flexi boiler scheme policy, so while I waited for the engineer (nearly 48 hours) it got me thinking about terms and conditions. In the small print they state that faults caused by sludge or scale are not covered, which suggests that they could wriggle out of covering any parts that have been in contact with water, principally the pump and heat exchanger. Turned out to be an electronic failure this time but I have emailed them to get clarification. IIRC the Domestic & General policy expressly included scale damage, so I might go back to them next time. By the size of the NPower van one assumes they don't carry parts, so anyone having to take time off work would be better using the makers' own service team. Plus, if it's minus 5 out there, you just want it fixed asap.

Reply to
stuart noble

...snip...

I've recently paid through the nose to British Gas to get a new boiler and maintenance contract mainly to get away from NPower. They took over our boiler insurance/repairs from Servowarm and the last time our old boiler stopped (last winter - bloody cold them too) we had...

- Over a week before they even attempted to show up.

- We came but you were out (we were sat next to the front door all afternoon).

- We closed the report because the boiler was fixed (apparently by the guy who couldn't call)

- We turn up, we haven't any parts

- Passed from pillar to post trying to get contacts

- Whilst the guys were in the house they were pestered non-stop by calls from "the office" asking them to take on extra jobs.

Trying to get them to actually show up and then sort out the problem was probably the first time I've ever sworn down the phone at someone because angry didn't even come close! The 30 minute I was always on hold before getting someone to answer also helped set the mood.

Then last May we watched one of those "bosses go out with the real workers" programs - it was NPower and the voice over was saying that NPower had bought up many maintenance companies and contracts, but totally under-estimated the number of field guys they needed to service this load.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Rang on Monday afternoon, guy came Wed, so I'm not complaining on that score given the weather conditions. I'm guessing he was Polish or Russian and most of our communication was with the hands (the pre-visit phone call was interesting). He went straight to the fault (pressure switch) so was in and out in 5 minutes, and allegedly the office will ring some time (but not so far) to arrange the second visit. To be fair he did bypass the switch and leave the boiler working, which by his expression I gather is against the rules. I must keep my eyes glued to the pressure gauge at all times :-) The economics of this whole business are interesting. Swings and roundabouts mostly I think, with the cost of parts probably tipping it in favour of some kind of insurance.

Reply to
stuart noble

Even if hell freezes over its not worth having these insurance schemes. Seriously.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'm obviously not as clever as you

Reply to
stuart noble

tipping it

Even if you Get Someone In the chances are you'll still have more money in your wallet at the end of the day.

=A320/month =A3240/year say a repair bill of =A3500 to make a profit on = the insurance you have to have a (fairly major) boiler fault every two years or so. Are boilers *that* unreliable?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But it's only half that premium if you don't claim. A repair bill of £250 every 2 years on an 8 year old is more borderline. Plus, parts prices seem to have shot up.

Reply to
stuart noble

I'm still struggling with the concept of a boiler fault every two years. In 25 years of having gas or oil boilers(*) I can only think of one fault that stopped the boiler working and that was a sooted up optical flame sensor on the oil boiler. No parts, took me about half an hour from start to finish to clean it.

(*) Not these new fangled, modulating, complex, condensing jobbies mind.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think modern combis include a built in obsolescence feature.

Reply to
stuart noble