How much oil for 2-stroke blower?

I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me ) so I downloaded a .pdf Users Manual, in order to double check that.

Unfortunately the manual did not contain that information.

Can you tell me, please if that ' 8oz ' figure is correct?

TIA

Lewis

*****
Reply to
limeylew

That *does* seem like a lot -- that's a 16:1 dilution, which is pretty unusual. Is that instruction on the body of the machine, or on the gas cap? If it's on the gas cap, unless you bought the machine new, you should consider the possibility that it has the wrong cap.

Does the manual give a dilution ratio, something like 16:1, 24:1, 32:1, etc. ?

Not enough information yet.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Was it made and labeled in china, 32-1 is all you could ever need but it may be designed and only run well for maybe 50-1, contact the Company. I bet it wont start with 16-1 or it will be a plug clogger- bug fogger instead. With tighter Epa rules 32-1 is not common anymore, my Lawnboy is 32-1 [ made in 83] my Sthil and Echo 50-1. maybe you missread it?

Reply to
ransley

Most two cycle engines aren't fussy. If you are using a good name brand of oil, 4 ounces to a galon of good brand gasoline runs in everything. Lawn Boy has the own brand of oil, but that might be just marketing.

More oil will not hurt, except to foul the spark plug sooner. Less oil risks lubrication failure, and siezing up the crankshaft to the piston rod. Or other sieze ups. Piston to wall, that kind of thing.

Some brands sell 3.2 ounce bottles of oil to mix with a galon of gas, but I don't trust that lean a mix.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It is unusual today. but in the garage I have a bottle of Hometlite oil that specifically says to add to one gallon for 16:1 mix. I don't know what the oil was for, but I think it was a scooter my kid had years ago with a very small engine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:X60Vl.31376$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:

...and I have a Homelite string trimmer manual that specifically says 50:1 and specifically converts it as a 2.6oz bottle to a gal of gas. Guy at a small engine shop says 32:1.

Reply to
Red Green

Thanks, the instruction is on the body of the machine.

I looked in the .pdf manual again (

LOWERS/gb122.pdf ) but still saw no reference to fuel/oil ratio.

Lewis

*****
Reply to
ru4linux2

I've also seen discussions were people have said the whole issue is driven more by the oils used rather than the engines. The case was made that years ago, the 2 strole oils were conventional, while today the oils used are either synthetic or greatly improved, so that the engine runs just as well with less oil. It's also obviously an issue of trying to reduce emissions.

I doubt the engine under discussion is new, as I haven't seen anything using that much oil in a long time. If it were old and mine, I'd just go with something like 32:1, using current oil.

Reply to
trader4

Then I'd assume it's correct.

No surprise there -- that's just a parts list, not an owner's manual.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Get "multi-ratio" oil & be done with it. Local hardware store stuff.

Reply to
Bob M.

It all depends on the oil you use. I have an old Craftsman weedwacker and leaf blower that both call for a 16:1 mix. Back when I bought these tools there wasn't any synthetic oils around for 2 strokes. For the last 20 years though I've been using these tools at 40:1 with a synthetic oil with no ill affect. They both run great and have plenty of power and the nice thing about the 40:1 synthetic is that it doesn't smoke like an old Ford. Just go buy a 40:1 synthetic blend oil and be done with it... It's not rocket science !!!

Reply to
Brian

blower that both call

around for 2 strokes.

synthetic oil with no ill

the 40:1 synthetic is

oil and be done with

More things should have automatic oilers. I mean come on now, this technology has been around for ages now. I had snowmobiles and chain saws with automatic oilers (separate oil tanks for the engine (not the chain)).

Reply to
Hipupchuck

..

nd leaf blower that both call

ic oils around for 2 strokes.

synthetic oil with no ill

ing about the 40:1 synthetic is

blend oil and be done with

Years ago (50+) they used "white gas" and regular engine oil for outboard motors! So yes, oils have come along way!

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Wow - does that bring back fond memories. My first new "street" motorcycle was a Yamaha RD-80. It's big claim to fame was the separate oil tank for its two cycle engine that covered multiple tanks of gas. Very convenient as I could use regular gas stations for fillups.

Reply to
Robert Neville