Why Give Advice Here?

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I should be giving this info out for free?

Reply to
evodawg

On Mon 19 May 2008 08:47:18p, evodawg told us...

Most folks would call it kindness and good will. Everyone has something they can learn. Everyone also has someting they can offer, and will usually will do so freely. If you're unwilling to do that, you clearly don't belong here, putz.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

If you have to ask, the answer is clear. You shouldn't be giving advice here.

Reply to
cybercat

I don't know, why do you use Linux? Same idea.

RicodJour

Why is it that everyone that runs Linux is an asshole !!!

Good Riddance asshole !!!

PLONK

Reply to
plonker

Yes Charge them.

Reply to
ransley

They're not. It's merely a personality defect called "validation." Same as religious folks who knock on your door.

Reply to
HeyBub

I would hope evodawg is just trying to start a discussion. As an apparent Linux user I think he knows why people some times give away valuable things for free.

As for you, Mr Plonker, your comments are offensive.

Yes, I'm running Linux, plonk me too. Please.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Promoter of Linux or just some dopey signature? IMHO if you want answers, don't send mixed messages.

As for giving free advice, I do it all the time in my profession, but, if you come back wanting specific details that will take considerable time, I won't do it without compensation.

Reply to
Frank

Very interesting replies. Wondering why so many got so defensive? I was merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple answer. I have given away many secrets and knowledge on this newsgroup and this is the thanks I get. I should have expected this from some but not the majority of posters. Attacks were uncalled for.

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would rather use an Operating System that actually works! I know for some pointing a clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand would like to use an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought process. I don't use Linux because it's free, although that is a good selling point. HAHAHA I use it because it works!!!!!!!!!!

Have a NICE DAY! I need to go to work now and get paid for my KNOWLEDGE!!!

Reply to
evodawg

Hmmm, Because you may some time need a info for yourself. I am a retired EE but I never charged some one who is in need of my knowledge and experinece. Life is to give and take. All my desktops and laptops in the house are dual boot. Windows and Linux.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think you are too wonderful for this group. Please don't soil yourself by participating here any further.

Reply to
salty

Did I lose count or are you reading posts that I don't see? I have Google groups blocked of course. I only saw one negative reply.

It's in your signature.

I can't tell you why you give advice for free, only you would know the answer to that question.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line interface was not cryptic enough.

At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.

Reply to
HeyBub

... as opposed to an OS that was a knock-off of a couple of other operating systems of similar vintage, marketed using questionable tactics into a position of dominance, with nothing really to recommend it except it was cheap.

Reply to
CJT

Very interesting replies. Wondering why so many got so defensive? I was merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple answer. I have given away many secrets and knowledge on this newsgroup and this is the thanks I get. I should have expected this from some but not the majority of posters. Attacks were uncalled for.

***********

Simple answer...you said it has taken you a lifetime to learn what you know. Where did you learn it? Obviously, by asking questions of people who knew more about it than you did at the time, it's called give and take. You will never know all there is to know about everything in your lifetime, so hopefully when you come up against a problem you can't solve, you will ask, and someone will know the answer. You should be willing to do the same IMO. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

re: Wondering why so many got so defensive?

Please go back and read your original post, paying close attention to the tone. Make believe you didn't write it and imagine how it might come across to others.

You state that "some of these people should be paying for the advice that *I* (only you?) took years to learn." That comes across as pretty arrogant, considering that you are not the only one giving away free advice. (BTW - Which "some" should be paying? Do certain people deserve free advice while others do not?)

re: I was merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple answer

You didn't ask a question, even though you put a question mark at the end of a line - that was just an incorrect use of punctuation.

"Tell me why I should be giving this info out for free."

"Tell me why=94 is an order, not a question. Once again, it comes across as arrogant when you order us to tell you something.

As others have said (please don't get defensive) if you don't want to give your knowledge away for free, stop responding. No one will fault you; no one will ask "Hey, what ever happened to evodawg?" Feel free to open a pay-for-answers site and charge others for your expert opinions. That is certainly an option and I wish you the best of luck.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You must be referring to Unix.

Several years ago I decided to give Linux a try, on a spare computer. I found it frustrating to decide which of the hundreds of versions to try. I finally just picked one, based on the fact they would send a free CD in the mail, and it was supposed to be one of the easier ones to use. I attempted to install it, got it 'sort of' installed, but I found myself puzzled with many things. It was more or less an operating system that would boot up, but did little more. I began looking for software to make the thing functional, and soon found that more often than not, I needed a different version, or no software existed for a particular need.

Using my MS computer, I went to the linux newsgroups to ask questions. That's where I found some of the rudest people I have ever met. Rather than assist with the version I was using, most suggested another version, and I would end up in the middle of flame wars. It was only a matter of time before I said "this is bullshit", and gave up Linux forever.

MS is far from perfect, but when I need help, I can go to their website, and it clearly defines each version, and each one has clear help files.

If Linux is as great as some people say, how come they have never come up with a universal version. Why are there several hundred versions, which are not compatible with each other, and above all, why are the users so rude, particularly to newcomers? They seem to boast about their OS, yet when it comes to someone new, they treat them like trash.

If Linux has 0.86% of the desktop market, it's not likely to go much higher considering the state of chaos it's in. There's just no standards, and one needs to be a computer whiz to use the thing. Maybe that's why this thread started. Linux users seem to be the least likely to want to help anyone. At least when I have gone to a Windows newsgroup, there are many people willing to help.

Reply to
gardener4

In those several years, there have been dozens of new releases. Unlike Windows, it doesn't take 5 years for a new version to be released.

Because anyone is allowed to create a new version. If you have special needs, go to distrowatch.com and find the version that fits your needs.

Otherwise do what the majority are doing, try Ubuntu.

As far as them being incompatible with each other, you're wrong.

I can't say, but if you ask for help with the attitude that Windows does X, why doesn't Linux, you're asking for it.

All the Linux Usenet groups I frequent are very helpful. But it's Usenet, there's always someone that will be rude.

Reply to
Dan Espen

There are people who are unable to deal with others on a social level. Wallflowers, geeks, wierdos, I'm sure you are very well acquainted with those terms and many others like them.

These people fail to understand the most basic concepts of human relationships, and for the most part can only find companionship with a pet rock or a computer.

Classic examples of Darwinian theory. They are unable to reproduce as the only thing they can find to mate with are their own hands, which ironically even hate them.

One thing I've found over the years is that truly knowledgeable people are always willing to share there knowledge with others. It's the ones who don't have a clue that attempt to impress others with something that doesn't exist.

So tell us what is the correct way to ask a customer if they would like fries with their order?

LdB

Reply to
L D'Bonnie