OT Neighbor (rant)

Greetings

I'm retired from the construction industry, but not yet retired.

We live in a neighborhood, where people help their neighbors, we have neighborhood cookouts & such. Though retired from construction, people still ask me to repair this or that, some drywall work, odd job etc. I always attempt to help people out, and if I find it's going to be a project which will take time, I refer them to a contact. When I do work, its for a modest charge, because I no longer hold a license, or carry insurance.

A younger couple moved into the neighborhood. They wanted a deck & patio door replaced. After asking around, a few neighbors pointed them my way. Being up front, I told them I would _help_, but wouldn't give them a price on anything.

They came up with a 14'x16' deck design, I drew it up, so they could get a permit. I set up batter boards and strung it out for the post holes (6 of them). The deck was going over part of a concrete patio, so I had him rent a concrete saw to remove where 4 holes were going to be placed. I cut out 4 areas 12"x12" for these holes. My first sign this guy was cheap, was when he started bitching about how much the saw cost along with the blade. I helped the fella run the auger, called to have the holes inspected, poured the concrete, set the beams & all floor joists. He wanted to install the flooring himself, and I showed him how to do some railing, because he wanted a built in gate within the railing. When it came time for the steps, I figured them out & cut them for him. After the deck was completed, his wife started complaining the deck was too _small_. It was their design, with them saying how big they wanted it.

For the patio door, I still have aluminum coil stock, and an aluminum brake to bend for flashing under the new door, and on top for a _z_ flashing. I set the french doors, which he & his dad were the helpers.

So he says he will have a cook out when it's all done. I never discussed getting paid, and I really don't want a dime for it. He said he will have a cook out when everything was done. Well, he did, several of them, and didn't invite myself or my family to join. He didn't invite anyone in the neighborhood, just some drunken _friends_ from his old neighborhood. This was last year when the work was completed. I just wonder where these friends were, when the work was being done.

Fast forward to this year. He wanted to borrow my sawzall, I told him I don't loan tools.

Now my lawnmower recently died. This guy bought a new Scag zero turn this year. He seen my brother bring over his mower for me to use. The guy walked over, said I should have asked him, for he would cut my yard for a mere $30 a pop. I was totally stunned, he would even suggest he would charge me. The fella doesn't cut grass for a living, this is his toy, and I know it was expensive, but geez. Not only that, several people in the neighborhood have different companies cut their yards for $20, and all these lots are similar in size.

Am I getting a taste of the "me" generation?

I know, I should just get over it.

Reply to
L. Guteireze

If it's any consolation, You're the kind of neighbor I'd be happy to have.

Reply to
RBM

clipped

Not a specific generation, AFAIK. My three grandsons have far better manners than most of my neighbors ...

My hubby was "building manager" in our condo for four years or more. Just in major tasks, I estimated the two of us spent well over 3,000 hours in those four years....not counting fixing broken concrete steps, patching busted stucco, searching for buried irrigation controllers, repairing outdoor lights...full time for weeks at a time on major projects for grand sum of $80/month. In spare time, we unclogged toilets, taught one neighbor to use a computer for the book he was writing and LOANED HIM THE FREAKING LAPTOP COMPUTER, babysat, helped remove debris from major remodels, helped install couple of water heaters, replaced deck boards on dock, etc, etc, etc. The guy writing the book never replaced my husband's batt. op. screwdriver he dropped in the channel. I'm still waiting for someone to do me a favor, although I haven't asked. Been tempted to set myself on fire to see if any of them bother to p--- on me:o)

Oh, and I forgot rides to airports and a lousy bag of cookies and peanut brittle hung on their doorknobs at Christmas time. And calling the cops when their spouses slap them around. Hubby's muscle always requested by the neighbor women who are too independent to live with a man :o)

Want to buy a condo? Three for sale, two of the owners pretty desperate :o) What goes around.........

Reply to
norminn

He actually bragged he paid $7k for this thing. Our lots are about 1/2 acre, 90x200. Consider the houses, garages, sheds, decks, flower beds, and driveways take up a big portion of that.

Reply to
L. Guteireze

The kid probably voted for BeeHO.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"L. Guteireze" wrote in news:h01l8n$eis$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

yeah, it would really tick me off with a neighbor like that. Sadly, these days a lot of people of all ages are real dopes. Don't know if they plan it that way, or they are just for ME! Me! Me!

I suppose the only thing you can do is to be pleasant and wave to those people, but otherwise try to ignore them. Have a some excuses ready to say if the guy comes around again.

BTW, I hired out for a guy to mow my yard. He only charges $20 to mow and trim. I have a fairly large suburban lot.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Dang! I'd pay good money to have you as another one of my neighbors! That lousy log-headed lamprey is a taker; simple as that. It wouldn't matter which generation he was attached to; he's looking for a free ride.

I've met a couple people like him in my short life and it's always a culture shock.

My FIL is now at the point in his life where he's starting to call people on their knot-headed behaviors, men, women, children, parents. I'm sure he's going to have a not-so-nice but very poignant observation about your "neighbor" -- he might even offer a suggestion (or three) since that type of leach really bothers him, too.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Chalk it up to yet another learning experience.

I have found, that until I really get to know someone I tend to be sociable but not social. It may take a while. I will wait.

Power tools do not get loaned unless it is an emergency and then I come with the tool. I had one neighbor who had a tree dropping leaves in his swimming pool. He wanted to borrow my chain saw so that he could climb up into the tree and trim some overhanging limbs. I told him flat out I would not be a party to that escapade.

Liability is an ugly word.

Charlie

Even then you can get fooled.

Reply to
Charlie

I'd send 'em a present. A fire truck at 3:00 a.m. comes to mind.

Reply to
HeyBub

It may be the me generation.

What I want to know is how big is the lot the grass needs to be cut for a guy to have a Scag and at the same time you can get it cut for $ 20 ? At around $ 5,000 plus for the Scag I would pay the $ 20 to get the grass mowed.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My bet the same logic that people who need a 5 ton fluffed up truck to transport themselves and a large beverage around was used. There is someone a few doors down from us who bought a megamower for a small lawn.

Reply to
George

[snip story of prima-donna neighbor]

I agree.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm jealous. Around here, the quoted prices start at around $40, if they bother to call back at all. This is the small brown gentlemen in straw hats and old pickups, not the services with shiny trucks- they want $65 on up. I'd pay $20 in a heartbeat, every 7-10 days, just to avoid the lost night of sleep from my allergies that kick in at 0300 or so, even if I shower immediately after mowing. I'd even provide the mower and the gas. 2/3 acre, minus footprint of house and shed. Takes me about 2.5 hours with a mulching push mower, since it is so chopped up, and parts are sloped.

I don't see any teenagers mowing lawns around here- just the fellows described above, or white-haired retirees whose wives told them to go out and play, so they cut every 4 days. (That and some middle-age ladies that really, really, need to trade their riding mowers for push mowers, but we won't go there...)

Why did I buy a house again? Hey, OP- you have any cousins that live around here? I have a deck that needs a refresh real bad...

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Though not retired , you and I are alot alike..I too "help" friends , neighbors , and family when I'm not working..Be it filling my elderly neighbors generator with gas at 1 am during an ice storm , pulling somebody out of the ditch in a snowstorm , or helping my dad and everyone else it seems , with their drywall taping or other project...Sometimes I get paid , sometimes I don't...Sometimes I get pissed when I don't even get a thank you...But I do it because I like helping people which is why I'm on this news group....Don't let one asshole get you down , just be ready with an excuse to say no the next time he slithers over to ask a favor....I've got a pile of firewood from clearing some trees on my property someone down on their luck is gonna get this fall..... : )

Reply to
benick

Man... $7K for a LAWNMOWER? heck, the Fabulous BeaterPorsche didn't cost that much money, and it got me to work and back every day for years. (now in semi-retirement as I have a company car.) I don't think I've ever paid that much for anything in my life, save for one new car and my house.

Oh, and if you count up parts, labor, etc. I've probably got more than that in my project car. But I don't like to think about that.

I need a lawnmower, I look to Craigslist. It's just a lawnmower.

Am I a cheap bastard?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:56:11 -0400, against all advice, something compelled Nate Nagel , to say:

The last time I ran my clothes dryer, it didn't do a very good job. It might be failing to work. If I need a replacement, I'll look to Craigslist. Some people get rid of their appliances because they need a new color.

Yes. But there is no reason not to be proud of that.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Usenet line of the day!!!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'll bet the asshole had piercings and tattoos.

Reply to
Zipperhead

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:21:46 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled Zipperhead , to say:

It's possible, but dammed if I'm going to check out his asshole to find out.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Yea , you see that right on here....Somebody asks for advice on a tablesaw for "occasional" homeowner use and some guys ALWAYS use the occasion to brag about their 800 dollar top of the line saw and belittle those who recommend a cheap Craftsman or Ryobi or a used one...To some "mine is bigger than yours" is important...I think it is to make up for other "shortcomings"...LOL.... ;)

Reply to
benick