OT Misdelivered mail

Creative. My favorite was the automated stamp machine. There was a sign taped above the slot where the stamps were supposed to come out that said 'Hit here'. The stamps never fell as designed, you gave it a rap on the designated spot, and they appeared. Problem solved.

Reply to
rbowman

I get maybe 2 per year. Always nearby neighbors. I just hand deliver them to their door. Hopefully others will return the favor.

Reply to
Gary

On the other hand FedEx and UPS are using USPS for their last mile delivery on their low cost shipping option. I've used the FedEx version. Biggest issue is that it's totally unpredictable. One package going across country goes steadily, gets there maybe a day or two later than it would with FedEx direct. Others take 3, 4, 5 days longer, they just stop at some point sit there for two days, then move another 500 miles, etc.

I have an interesting USPS thing going on right now. I sent a small bubble mailer out earlier this week. Printed a label online, put it in a USPS mailbox on Monday. They were closed for holiday, should have been picked up Tues 11AM. As of right now, nothing shows up on tracking, only that I printed the label and USPS is awaiting the package. Its going to SC, should be there today or tomorrow. Sometimes tracking does not show up right away, can take a day or two, then it suddenly shows up, but this is abnormal and longest I've seen with nothing registering. I've heard other people saying sometimes nothing shows until it;s delivered, maybe that's happening with this one. Fortunately it's only worth $8.

Reply to
trader_4

That's true for smaller packages that weigh a few pounds or for ones that are heavy but will fit in one of the priority boxes that go by size not weight. But if you have something that weighs maybe 5, certainly ten pounds, then FedEx is less expensive, at least if you have an account with Ebay discounts applied. It also depends on the distance. If I used USPS for going cross country on a ten pound item, it would be significantly more than FedEx. Going 75 miles, might be about the same.

Reply to
trader_4

All of my items were fulfilled by Amazon.

We do, just east of downtown. But when the ad says, Order soon, only 3 left, given that there are 50 states and more cities, there could not be one in every distribution center. Even if there are 49 left, there won't be one in every state.

Yes, it's impressive that they can do this for anything.

Reply to
micky

That will be reflected in the delivery date, once you are logged in. Sometimes it is a couple of days, sometime it is the next day and that might even be the same day if it is late at night.

If it is local, it just has to be pulled and put on the truck.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

Once or twice a month, I get a piece of misboxed mail. It has the right number, but the next street. Walking around the block is usually easier than going to the post office, so I take it to the recipient. Once, I saw the mail carrier on the way and told him about it. That didn't help.

I always wonder if I'm missing mail that was put in someone else's box, and that other person just puts it in the trash.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That is why I posted the link to sign up for informed delivery You know what is supposed to be there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is not really recyclable but if it makes you feel good, go for it. The government dweebs will pull it out and put it in the trash for you. I guess you are creating a shitty job for someone otherwise unemployable. Unsorted paper is pretty useless unless they are burning it in a waste to energy plant.

Reply to
gfretwell

They may be, but junk mail is one of the things our county says should go in the bin. I just don't toss some stiff with my name on it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe they are just more selective here although I think they burn it all anyway. They pluck out the aluminum cans, the steel that the magnet pulls out, some token #1 and #2 bottles and properly broken down corrugated boxes just so they can say they are recycling. The rest is trash anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

Our garbage hauler is a private company contracted by the township, so it's not a "government dweeb".

What should the otherwise unemployable person do? Collect Welfare?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Pick up trash on the street. If we are just paying them for menial labor, make it useful.

Reply to
gfretwell

Problem appears to me as wanted mail getting lost in the junk mail. Maybe 3/4 of what we get is junk mail. The junk is also mostly in the form of fliers, not in envelopes and real mail might be slipped into the junk pages. This could happen at the post office when the carrier sorts the mail before delivery.

As mentioned before the post office relies on junk mail to maintain the business. However the junk mailers pay less postage which increases the bulk of it per price paid.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Sorting recyclables is useful.

If I were in charge, people receiving Welfare would have to work at such menial jobs. Give them an incentive to upgrade their skills.

And they'd have to be sterilized.

Waiting for "genocide" to be mentioned. 3, 2, 1...

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Update. This morning tracking finally showed up. The one and only tracking entry is that it's at the town in SC and out for delivery today. That's after 4 days. Very strange. I've never seen this before. I have seen it where sometimes it doesn't show tracking at the post office where I dropped it off, instead it starts at the second stop or the third. But never where it went all the way to it's destination over 4 days with no tracking. But I have heard other people saying this has happened to them though.

FedEx tracking, I've never seen this, it's always consistent. I did have one odd experience with FE though. I bought 4 tires online. They tracked all the way to the house. I was here when the guy delivered, he didn't ring the bell, I didn't even know he had left them. I go take a look, it's only 3 tires. I check the tracking, it says delivered, nothing about an exception. I had to call FE and on their system it showed that they only delivered 3 because there was no room on the truck. The other one came next day. The two big problems there are the delivery guy should know that he's only delivering 3 and should have rung the bell to tell me. And that their tracking system that customers use should reflect it.

A friend of mine has a big beef with UPS. That driver leaves packages outside the garage door. I guess they come late in the day, the door is closed and next morning, he opens the door to go to work, backs out and runs over the package. He's destroyed several that way and UPS has paid for them. Now he has a sign on his garage door, "put packages on front steps". This is such an obvious thing, you'd think UPS would have a policy not to leave packages by a garage door like that. I've had UPS do the same here once in awhile. Even worse, I have a large porch that is well protected, while the garage door area has minimal protection from rain.

Reply to
trader_4

Maybe your "friend" should look where he's backing up? (It might even be the law?) What if there was a little 3-year-old kid standing there?

Reply to
Patriot

A 3 year old presumably has a better chance at being seen than a package that's 4" high. With the typical vehicle, if something that's only a foot or two high is close behind, you won't see it in either the rear view mirror or the side mirrors. Which is why they've now added cameras to some new cars. I suppose the correct procedure would be to walk behind and check before backing up, but IDK anyone that does that, nor is it in any driver ed stuff that I've seen. Most times it happens naturally, eg you typically walk up to your car in a parking lot from behind. But if you approach from the front, do you go walk behind to make sure a kid or package isn't there?

Reply to
trader_4

Mark Lloyd snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid wrote in news:FyOWF.268206$ek.34701 @fx48.iad:

I don't take misdelivered mail back to the post office. I put a post-it note on it saying "Delivered to wrong address" and put it back in the box. It's gone when I get next delivery.

Reply to
KenK

Seems to me if it hapened once, the idiot should look behind his garage door. I make it a practice of pressing an opener for the garage door as I exit the house door. This does two things, Mainly makes sure the door is open so that when I start the car I don't take a chance of getting any carbon monoxide in any place where it shoud not go and I can see if there is anything outside the garage door.

I signed up for the email reminder from the post office and UPS so I get an email when they deliver a package. If it comes late and I check my email I see it and retreive the package. I have had mail and UPS packages come at many odd times. Some of it is even being delivered on Sundays now. I think Amazon started that.

My 200 foot long driveway ends at the garage door that is most always closed as birds want to come in and crap over things. It is a walk of about 30 feet or so to the front porch. If the weather is good packages are most often dropped off at the garage door. If it looks like or is raining they are often placed on the front porch ot of the weather. I have had some packages dropped off at the garage door that was placed in a plastic bag to keep the weather off of them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery