OT Loyal dog

Follow the money. East Quad had some nice brick and tile work in it. A dorm built in 1959 was just a brick box.

Then why confess your laziness for all the world to see? I'd be embarrassed.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I can't find anyone to whip me for my sins, especially not online, so I need to humble myself.

Either that or I'm not very embarrassed and I think it's sort of funny. If I were courting a girl I'd want the house to look good, but there is no big upside in impressing any of you.

Reply to
micky

You don't want it to be nice for yourself? That's just sad.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

That was what it was like when my wife was at SUNY Albany. She eventually transferred to Russell Sage since SUNY was a zoo in more ways than one.

I assume RPI dorms are now integrated. In the '60s there weren't that many women and they weren't too sure what to do with them. I don't know what the arrangement was with Russell Sage. The girls weren't too fond of it because of the tight controls and it was down in the city while RPI is up on the hill. They got their daily exercise.

A friend was visiting his son at UNH and stayed overnight. The next morning he was in the communal bathroom when a girl walked in. It didn't bother him but was unexpected.

Reply to
rbowman

The RPI Quad had a fortress vibe to it.

rbowman

Looks like an old prison.

A suite of a study and two bedrooms sounds nice. We just had rooms with two beds and two desks.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

That's what we had too, and the U of Chicago webpage for the two dorms I mentioned, Burton Judson and Snell Hitchcock, seem to say tthat nothing has changed since 1964, at least in those dorms

They seems to have only one person per room in asome rooms, see pictures of room layouts at bottom of the first one:

Just as small but only one picture of a room. :
bed only means eXtra Long.

Reply to
micky

A lot of RPI had that look.

The Carnegie Building was the oldest purpose built structure where I had classes. Some of the older stuff burned in 1904. However most of the humanities people were in West Hall,an 1869 hospital they purchased.

The 'Chapel / Voorhees Computing Center, 1958' is a little misleading. It was the library when I was there. The shiny new System 360/30 and its peripherals were in the only new building on campus. It also was the only one with A/C which was a plus. I do think putting the computers in a chapel was fitting, something out of 'a Canticle for Liebowitz'.

They do have a fantabulous new performing arts center to replace the recycled U.S.O shack the Players livied in. The Outing Club also lived there. We stored out packs, snowshoes, tents, and so forth under the stage.

Along with the shiny new arts center they've dropped from being ranked up with MIT and CalTech to tied with Billy Bob's School of Animal Husbandry. I do not contribute to the Alumni Fund.

Reply to
rbowman

My dorm was men only the first year or 2, then coed, with maybe 30% women. The halls were divided into 3 sections. The one in the middle had the bathroom labeled Women, the far one still had the Men label, and the one at my end acquired a sign saying "People". There were no problems that I ever heard of related to the coed change or bathrooms.

Reply to
Bob F

So no dogs or squirrels? That's outrageous.

Reply to
micky

Without yet readign, this looks like a stupid article. A) there are probably reservations in Massechusettes. B) I know there are in Connecticut, only a few miles away, C) Do they assume she was born at home. What, with only a midwife. The birthplace listed is where she was born, likely a hospital. Esp. if her mother was at risk, a big city hospital.

D) NOT EVERY Indian lives on a reservation. Of course Bowman either doesn't know A-D or he purposely ignores them.

Reply to
micky

What he doesn't know would fill a book - and what he knows but ignores? a library.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Hey, micky, where's the D? Personally I've enjoyed Sainte-Marie's music throughout her career and don't particularly care if she is Cree or Caucasian.

Take it up with cbc.

Reply to
rbowman

The daily mail? goes without saying...

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

My first thought, on this story breaking was - - who cares - let it go .. But since then, some indigenous musicians have spoken - some who have been eclipsed or lost awards to Buffy ... it's a messy thing .. .. it's complicated .. on many levels.

While not a big fan of her vocalizations, I was happy to see Buffy as Main Stage closing act at a folk festival in 2016 - she was terrific - just her and her guitar and her laptop .. I was expecting a bigger band - to cover for the 75 year old folkie - but she nailed it all by herself.

I'd really like to see a Happy Ending to this - but I can't imagine a process to get there.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I saw her in '66 or '67. No laptop, just her and her guitar. As I've mentioned the concert was scheduled for 8PM. No Buffy. She called from Buffalo, said a snowstorm had disrupted her flight, but there was a flight to Albany that would put the concert at around midnight if that was okay, or people could get a refund. She showed up at midnight and put on a great show.

In an era where acts were sometimes no-shows or put on a half-hearted performance that showed a real pro. As far as eclipsing others, it is an open field. Maybe it's sour grapes. It's not like she never put anything back.

rbowman

Yes, it sure sounds messy and complicated.

What did her laptop do?

Reply to
micky

Well, I saw what hubops said and though I should finally read the article. I was only judging it by the one line url text. Everything I said** was true and would have contradicted that one line, but the article inludes a lot more. The url recaps the article's headline but I think the headline could have still been based on the article and been written differently so that it was not subject to such easy debunking as I had written.

The question is not where she was born. It's whether she was born to Indigenous parents.

"Her family say she was born in Massachusetts and not on an Indian reservation " Yes, but does her USA mother say she was born out of MY belly. I gave birth to her. That is the issue. What does her mother say about that? i guess if she's 81, her USA parents are dead. What did they say when they were alive. Is this just coming up?

Even if she's 81, if she was born in a hospital there should be a record of her pregnant USA mother being admitted to the hospital on or about the date she says she was born***. Records that far back are not likely to be online, even in the hospital's computer, but they are stored in a box somewhere. I had reason to inquire and at least one other hospital, the charge for a physical search was not that high.

***Giving your birthdate in court is the one excepttion to the hearsay rule. You don't know that date, you only know what you were told, but courts accept your testimony, subject to correction of course. **"A) there are probably reservations in Massechusettes. B) I know there are in Connecticut, only a few miles away, C) Do they assume she was born at home. What, with only a midwife. The birthplace listed is where she was born, likely a hospital. Esp. if her mother was at risk, a big city hospital. D) NOT EVERY Indian lives on a reservation."
Reply to
micky

She used it for mixing / effects. John T.

Reply to
hubops