OT Loyal dog

The body of a Pagosa Springs man missing since August was found in the San Juan National Forest on Oct. 30 with his Jack Russell Terrier, Finney, still alive and by his side.

Rich Moore, 71, was reported missing with his dog in the area of Blackhead Peak on Aug. 19. Blackhead Peak is approximately 18 miles east of Pagosa Springs, Katie Langford reports.

A local hunter spotted Moore’s body and a white dog in the lower Blanco River drainage basin on Oct. 30 and reported it to the Archuleta County Sheriff’s Office. On Oct. 31, a team flew in to recover Moore’s body and rescue Finney, according to a news release from Sheriff Mike Le Roux.

From the Denver Post // Roundup

Reply to
micky

"Rich Moore and his white Jack Russell, Finney, had set out for a hike on August 19 to Blackhead Peak, located in the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado."

If you believe the Mail. My guess is it was a day hike gone wrong.

It's only 6.3 miles out and back with 2400' of elevation gain. The air gets a little thin at 12,000 if you're not used to it and he was 71. I doubt he scribbled a note 'I'm dying'. His plan probably was 'I'm going to Blackhead today.'

Personally my dying thought would be 'This beats the shit out of dying in a nursing home. I hope the dog gets out okay.'

Reply to
rbowman

The British online newspaper has all the detail with photos of the man and the dog.

Hiker Rich Moore, 71, missing for three months is found dead in Colorado with his white Jack Russell dog Finney still alive next to his body:

Daily Mail has a dedicated US version which is known to be the fastest in breaking news with tons of photos:

Daily Mail US homepage:

invalid unparseable

rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

It does sound like a day hike gone wrong, especially at 12,500'.

Yes.

I hope the dog gets out okay.'

I wish they'd report how the dog survived.

I liked Nipple Mountain.

Reply to
Boris

I wouldn't blame the reporting. Somehow I got on the mailing list for the Denver Post, like I did for a couple other big city newspapers, but I can't keep subscribing to them, so I didn't quote from or even see the actual article, just the blurb that's one of seveal in the emails they send. I unsubscribed from the other 2 newsletters because their blurbs said so little they were't worh reding but the Denver Post actually gives a summary. Maybe some day a story will be interesting enough to get me to subscribe.

I thought he'd been dead for a long time.

I figure he lived off the land.

Reply to
micky

A google with a few key words came up with:

and

She lost half her weight. I guess the land is not all it's cracked up to be.

Reply to
micky

They don't stack the mountains here as high as in Colorado but St Mary Peak is sort of equivalent in length and elevation gain. It's a popular hike and I've been on the summit when a whole Sunday School class arrived. The trail id well defined. Nobody would think twice about going for a day hike.

In 2008 a couple somehow managed to get off the trail and fell down a chute. The cell phone coordinates weren't very useful in rugged terrain. They were finally located by a S&R helicopter who happened to see the light from the phone but both were dead.

Shit happens as they say. afaik they were the only fatalities on that mountain.

There was a dog with them and he showed up at the trailhead a few days later. In this case it wasn't months and there was no mystery why they died although we'll never know what led up to it. A front had moved in and they might have lost the trail in poor visibility.

Reply to
rbowman

And sometimes the news is even sort of accurate...

'Daily Mail' wouldn't work in the chorus but close enough.

Reply to
rbowman

Daily Mail had the fastest and most extensive news coverage of BLM riots and Jan 6 Capitol riot, with tons of photos and videos, faster than all the US news channel. I felt like I was there at the scene, just by surfing their US homepage.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Say it ain't so, Buffy. If there is any shit to stir the Mail will find it. It provides plenty of photos for elderly Conservatives that can't read.

Reply to
rbowman

Buffy sure looks like an American Native Indian, unlike Elizabeth Warren, a white woman claiming to be Injun.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It would be embarrassing if she really is Italian after some of the First Nations awards she has garnered.

In the '69s concerts could be iffy. They seldom started on schedule and sometimes the main billing was a no-show. A date and I went to a Buffy concert at Hudson Valley Community College. The warm up act did everything they knew and still no Buffy.

Finally she called. She was in Buffalo and the flights had been delayed due to a snow storm. It was left up to the audience. Either the concert would be scrubbed of there was a flight that would put her into Albany but it would be midnight before she got to the venue. The crowd decided the show must go on. She put on an excellent show.

My date was an RPI coed but at the time the coed dorm was at Russell Sage, a girls; college, that had a strict curfew. We had to negotiate with the old dragon that was the dorm mother for an extension. After making a few phone calls she decided we were legit but I damn well better have Mary back to the dorm immediately after the concert ended.

rbowman

She has the typical facial feature and hair colour of a North American Native Indian.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

By the time I got to college, a coed dorm was one with both men and women in it. Most of them had men and women on separate floors. I lived in a pretty progressive dorm. The room next to mine was occupied by men. I can barely recall, but I think all the rooms to my right were women and all the rooms to my left were men.

The bathrooms were supposed to be segregated by sex, but nobody wanted to walk all the way down the hall to use the gender-appropriate bathroom when there was a bathroom right across the hall. The rule was "Be cool about it." Meaning, don't engage in offensive behavior or the RAs will put a stop to the whole thing and you'll have to walk a ways just to take a piss.

Everything seemed to work smoothly. Almost everybody shared a bathroom at home with siblings of the opposite gender, and that's what it was like in the dorm.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

My dorm. or at least the floor I was on, was intended for girls but it was assigned to boys. This meant the bathroom had 3 individual showers instead of one big shower. We were told girls didn't like to shower together.

The dorm is almost the only place I've ever lived that is in worse condition than when I lived there. Even though it was called "New Dorms" in 1964 and was a lot newer than Snell Hitchcock which was built in 1893 and 1901, or Burton Judson which was built in 1931, they kept them and tore New Dorms down to bulld something else!

My home in Pa. now has AC, a sump pump in the basement, and a new garage with a work bench, and the oak tree is 70 years older and bigger My home in Ind. now has AC and all the trees are bigger. The apartments I've lived in are about the same.

The other place I've lived that's not in as good a condition is where I live now. Every year it gets a little worse.

Reply to
micky

My dorm was built for all men, in 1939.

The bathroom nearest me had perhaps half a dozen individual shower stalls with curtains.

They've added air-conditioning to the dorm. I think they've also upgraded the windows; they were leaky old steel casements when I lived there.

My mother installed AC at some point after I moved out.

That's under your control.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

How about that! Maybe men were more privacy-oriented in 1939 or maybe the architect in 1960 was less.

They were both gothic or something, and they matched the other old buildings. Historically, they were much more attractive than the modern New Dorms.

Duh.

Reply to
micky

The only school shower for girles I have been was in junior high around

1965. There were some partitions in it. Every boys showers in school was just one large room. Even the YMCA where I learned to swim mens shower was wide open.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery