OT jokers wild for eights straights and flushes

OT
I heard this said at a poker game, "jokers wild for eights straights and flushes". What does eights refer to?

What it says. If you have a joker and 2 eights, you have 3 eights. It is not a very common game but a cool thing to say. The reality is few people play the old style poker these days anyway. It is all Texas Hold'm and no wild cards.

deuces & jacks, the man with the axe, and a pair of natural sevens takes the pot
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 May 2018 20:14:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That certainly makes sense. I'd never heard it before. Of course before tonight I'd never been at a poker game at the Long Branch with Miss Kitty next to the bar with desperadoes who had taken over the town.