OT: Joe Horn shooting

No. Usually there is, but it's not a requirement.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's a different grand jury. In Texas, grand jurors are selected by the district judge in charge of grand juries. For a civil rights violation, a federal grand jury would be the deliberating body; I don't know how the members of a federal grand jury are selected.

Texas has a "Castle Doctrine" law that went into effect before Joe Horn got involved in his neighborhood squabble. The Castle Doctrine law grants immunity to all civil tort claims when force is used to protect life or property - although I think it has to be YOUR life or property at jeopardy.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sure. In some Democrat-controlled counties, they can even vote.

Sometimes more than once.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thank you for sharing that with us. I think I understand Bush's foreign policy a bit better now. Shoot em all, let God sort them out.

Reply to
jack

There are some things that seem to be worth telling the entire usenet group. "Lawn boy engines need oil mixed in the gas" might just help someone out. Something like "Torque the nut, cause the bolt threads might catch on the hole, and screw up the torque."

But, to announce to an entire usenet group. That one poster isn't gona appear on one computer screen, on one desk top, in one house, in one town, in one state, in one nation.

That, much like this post I'm writing, is a waste of band width.

Gee, Kurt, I feel your pain. I been plunked, too. By various people. who were sure to tell me about it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are, to my mind, fewer things more self-centered and self-agrandizing things than announcing a plonk. My plonks are almost always silent but deadly. Unless, of course, I am absolutely sure it will piss off the plonkee and inspire all sorts of really neat spittle spewing replies (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Shoot first, avoid questions later.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Right. Foreign policy ain't hard. For a Texican.

Reply to
HeyBub

Joe Horn is a pathetic mouse of a man who provides an example of what someone in the throws of panic and horrible judgement will do.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Kurt: u r makin this 2 ez

Reply to
SteveB

In future, when using the word "bandwidth" or "band width," please abbreviate it as "bndwth" thereby saving precious bndwth.

Thnks.

Reply to
HeyBub

Nevertheless, it is a lesson to would-be burglars that they may encounter a panicked citizen with horrible judgment and, therefore, should consider another line of work, say, taxidermy or bridge painting.

Reply to
HeyBub

Grand jury would be great fun. I have been called for jury duty only once, and after spending the day with attorneys trying to choose a jury, we were all dismissed. The case was a lawsuit by a party injured in an auto accident while under the influence....she tried to sue the county engineer re: timing of traffic lights. First question: will you be prejudiced by knowing the plaintiff was under the influence at time of accident. One potential juror had had a brother killed by drunk driver. Another very loquatious potential juror essentially made the case for the plaintiff, yapping on and on about the route he drives every day and how badly the lights are timed. What a riot. The plaintiff nodded off now and then, bearing out the over-use of whatever chemical she used. I don't know if "I don't like your looks" is grounds for a jury vote, but it seems reasonable :o)

Reply to
Norminn

In a burglary situation, you are at a disadvantage. You have to determine if that shadow in the kitchen is simple a family member before you fire. The burglar, especially in a state like Texas, is not going to hesitate to shoot anything that moves, since they don't care who they shoot. In fact, if there is a burglar in the kitchen and your

8 year old decides to wander down and get a drink of water, Texas Castle doctrine insures your child is dead meat. You'll be alerted by the sound of the gunshot killing her.
Reply to
salty

I take you have never came home and found everything missing? I live in the area of Mr. Horn and let me tell you that as a home owner I am tired of the crime. Look what happen just last week when someone broke into a home in Pasadena Texas and tied up the husband and wife and shot them dead because they though there was money in the house. Heck their young son came home and was shot in the head and may not live.

Reply to
Moe Jones

_JOE HORN: NEIGHBOR OF THE YEAR?_

Oren

Only if Sheriff Joe Arpaio is the emcee.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Real Texans

Xan

Reply to
Xantipas

"Moe Jones" wrote in news:486bafdd$0$9833$ snipped-for-privacy@news.hal-pc.org:

Only if you fail to identify your target before shooting. Some people are guilty of that.

some people seem to be more worried about the criminals rights and safety than the ODCs.(Ordinary Decent Citizens)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The burglar doesn't need to identify anything. He just shoots the instant he sees ANYTHING. You, meanwhile have to pause and identify your target, because you care that you might shoot someone who turns out to be a family member. IOW, you lose every showdown. The burglar has increased reson to shoot instantly in Texas because he knows that any movement might be someone who will try and shoot him if he doesn't shoot first.

I'm more worried about us turning into them. I believe firmly in the ideas and principals that created the United States of America. I'm sorry that you don't. Truly sorry.

Reply to
salty