OT: Joe Horn shooting

I was just correcting Jim Yaniks erroneous statement that it was "an armed robbery"

Let's try and move on to something more productive and on topic, shall we? This thing ran it's course 24 hours ago.

Reply to
salty

Me,too. As well as clarifying that not all home invasion are charged as such.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You've said that you're done with this thread at least three times. Why do you keep replying? Having the last word isn't all it's cracked up to be.

As far as your question about using aluminum sheet metal for roofing. Don't. Stick with roll roofing. If you want metal up there, get or make standing seam.

RicodJour

Well, it IS a burglary, though it might be something else, too. Burglary is the unlawful breaking and entering of a building with the intent to commit a felony or the crime of theft. In other words, kicking down the door is a considerably worse offense than mere door-damage would warrant.

There are numerous elements to the offense. First, it has to involve "breaking." You can't commit a burglary if you walk through an open door. You have to intend to steal something; breaking in to get out of the cold is not a burglary. The perp also has to "enter," simply kicking the door, then saying "Oops, my bad!" is not a burglary. However, reaching in through a cut screen IS a burglary, but stealing pies cooling on the window sill is not.

Believe me, all these - and more - bizarre permutations have been litigated out the kazoo, including such things as a fish-hook on a string through a vent or tunneling from underneath and having the goodies fall out of the building (i.e., a VERY heavy safe).

Reply to
HeyBub

I didn't mention "Home Invasions," whatever you think that might mean.

Reply to
HeyBub

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman- snipped-for-privacy@70-3-168-216.area.spcsdns.net:

a home invasion IS an armed robbery. it's no different than armed robbers entering an occupied business.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Just for giggles I started searching for the definition of a "home invasion".

One wiki; states it can be an invited guest, that will not leave the home when asked by the resident (not reviewed by professionals).

..." Houston, Texas saw a rise in such crimes in the late 1990s when elderly women shoppers at an upscale mall were targeted based on their jewelry, followed home, and robbed in their driveways."...

Today! They want your PIN number and driven to the bank.

Reply to
Oren

WHAT the burglar doesn't know is, if Joe Horn lives next door.

Not all enemies are beat on the front.

Reply to
Oren

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and that's NOT an "armed robbery"? and kidnapping,too,if they make you come with them.

IMO,"home invasion" is just the new buzzword.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Only in YOUR mind;in real life,it's more often the other way around.

He can keep on saying this,but that doesn't make it true.

There have been several home invasions I've read about in the newspaper where one of the residents managed to get to their gun and shoot one or more of the invaders,and/or driving them out.

One was a 50 yr old woman who had only 20 minutes of "training" with her gun,and had been shot a couple of times by the armed stalker who crashed through her patio door.(Heathrow,Seminole County,Fl.) She survived,he died from her gunshots.

The Seminole County Sheriff's Dept. suggested she buy a gun when she got her restraining order against the stalker,and a deputy was the one who trained her.It saved her life.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

crickets

Reply to
salty

Whoa! 130 + messages in a day - wow.

Reply to
Doug Brown

sa-

No, you are incorrect. Despite the reporting of home invasion type robberies in the your newspaper, the VAST majority of home burglaries occur when the residents are not home. You are being fooled by the selection bias of your newspaper. Check the stats. The typical burglar wants to avoid confrontation & will by-pass the occupied home in favor of an unoccupied home.

Burglary is property crime, home invasion is an "up close & personal" crime, more akin to extortion or kidnapping. The occupants are used as leverage to extract assets not typically discoverable in a "normal" burglary.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

An unfounded assumption.

got any examples of this happening?

people in Colonial times DID shoot thieves and burglars. They couldn't afford having criminals around preying on them.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks Steve.

You've said something that lots of people believe. Crime in the USA is where it is because of how criminals are coddled, pampered and protected by our laws.

salty, frankly, you're full of shit. You're the type that has caused the problem. You're type of thinking is why these criminals feel safe entering someone's home with a weapon and taking anything they fell like taking, including life.

I have news for anyone stupid enough to come into my home with a weapon to overpower me. I'll do whatever is necessary to pamper them until I can get near to one of the 20 weapons in my home that are hidden, loaded and ready to use. As soon as I do, I'll kill that low life, sorry asshole who thought he could threaten my life.

The laws need to be changed. First offence, life sentence. No parole, no pardons, you come out of prison in a coffin.

While in prison, you will eat nothing but grits and vitamins. You'll build pre-fab houses that will be sold to low income families. You'll work from dawn to dusk. You'll have a 4 x 6 cell with one cot in it.

No exercise yard, no weight room, no TV, no a/c, none of that crap that has turned our prisons in to luxury resorts.

Believe me, if this were done, the crime rate would fall to almost nothing.

Stop treating criminals like poor lost children. They aren't. They are people who have no respect for human life. They threaten human life for a few dollars.

I promise that no one will survive a home invasion of my home. No one.

salty, you're so full of shit. Go pass that bullshit off on some other weak knee 'd, trembling, criminal coddling asshole like yourself.

BTW, I have news for you dummy. When our country was founded, if some one came into another persons home with a gun and threatened the lives of everyone in the home, they would have been hunted down and either shot or hung from the nearest tree. Your impression of what it was like then is as immature as your ideas of how to treat life threatening criminals.

I'm sure you'll answer with some quip about how I'm as bad as the criminals are. That's total bullshit. When other citizens obey the law and never threaten others lives for money, I'm the best friend they have. I would never hurt anyone EXCEPT if they do something to threaten my life or others near me. When that is the case, I'll end their life. They will never do it again.

My way works. Yours doesn't. The fact that yours doesn't is obvious.

Reply to
Merlin

You're worried about turning into a person who would hogtie three people and shoot them in the ear for money that is not there? Funny, I'm not worried about doing that, so please do not include me in your "us". I suggest you get some help.

"ideas and principals (sic) that created the United States of America" ?????????

Firearms were a big part of the forming of this country, being as common as a hammer to early settlers. Both as a food source and as a tool against anyone who would take what they had worked hard for. Including freedom. They thought so much of the idea they included it in the Amendments to the Constitution. Maybe you heard of it? No? sigh .....................

You ARE sorry. Truly sorry. A sorry assed individual.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And they usually target homeowners who don't have guns. How do they know? Maybe all that tofu in their shopping bags.

When it gets fun is when they make a mistake and go after an armed homeowner. Something that is happening more and more, creating a need for more morgue toe tags.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

wrote

Wow, dude. I suggest you get some lessons.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

So, shut the f*ck up, will ya?

Reply to
SteveB

sa-

No, you are incorrect. Despite the reporting of home invasion type robberies in the your newspaper, the VAST majority of home burglaries occur when the residents are not home. You are being fooled by the selection bias of your newspaper. Check the stats. The typical burglar wants to avoid confrontation & will by-pass the occupied home in favor of an unoccupied home.

Burglary is property crime, home invasion is an "up close & personal" crime, more akin to extortion or kidnapping. The occupants are used as leverage to extract assets not typically discoverable in a "normal" burglary.

cheers Bob

You are correct. Home invasion is a type of kidnapping. Kidnapping is loosely described as when a person is moved at least 20 feet (varies with jurisdiction) against their will, or prevented from leaving when they want to, and kept against their will for the purposes of illegal activity. (very loose) So, that is why home invasion is a much more serious crime.

Burglary, no one gets hurt, usually. Home invasion, someone almost always gets hurt.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB