OT: Joe Horn shooting

Oh, look. I've got a sad little puppy following me around after every post. School must be out for the summer.

Reply to
salty

See. You have no idea what I'm all about. Here's my solution to handle criminals at all levels:

They go to prison until the victim has completely recovered in every way, financially, emotionally and physically.

The real problem with our present system is that there are no determinate sentences. People get a sentence of oh, 2-5 years, which means they "might" serve anywhere from no time at all, to 5 years. No one knows whjat the actual penalty is for any crime, because their is really no set penalty for any crime. When it appears that there is, a plea deal always circumvents it, by pleading out to a different charge. Then there's the idiocy of "time off for good behavior". You are in prison for BAD behavior. If you are good, you only have to serve the time already given to you. If you are bad, your sentence gets extended. Just sentence all convicted criminals to prison until such time as the victim has recovered in all ways. If the victim never fully recovers, well... tough shit, you never get out.

Where will we keep all these long term prisoners? How will be build enough prisons? That's easy. We have a huge inventory of mothballed ships. We pay a lot of money to keep these ships in mothballs. These ships are basically designed to house feed and sustain a large population of people in less than luxurious accomodations. They have facilities aboard for all human needs including medical. Take as many as needed out of mothballs, and let the prisoners do all the maintenance work needed (presently paid for by taxpayers) to keep them in top condition. As crime rates drop as a result of this new program taking the incentive out of commiting crimes, just mothball the ships again as they aren't needed any longer. No useless empty prisons all over the landscape to maintain or let rot. The prison ship fleet can grow and shrink to fit the needs.

Reply to
salty

Not at all. Do a Google on "Burglar shoots" and you'll get thousands of results. Why would you say something as stupid as you have? Are you really that naive?

The same search you just did will show you many examples.

Do you argue from habit?

Reply to
Merlin

Remember, this country was founded by religious extremists. With guns.

And, as one observer recently pointed out, was founded with the express idea of being those things that Europe was not.

Reply to
HeyBub

I guess you didn't read what I wrote very carefully.

Reply to
salty

You're reacting to a crime that has already happened. The goal is to make the penalty so severe that no one in the world would risk having it imposed on them, and almost all people would stop performing crimes.

Automatic life in prison with no pardons, no parole.

Hard labor the entire time.

Food that will make you survive, no more.

No comforts.

First try at escape, death.

The prisons would be almost empty in 20 years. Only a true idiot would perform a crime of any kind if they knew my prison awaited them.

Prisoners have NO rights. They gave them up when they performed the crime that they are in prison for.

Reply to
NatGreenMeds

Your guess isn't correct.

I read it and understand it.

Your system however, results in hope for the prisoner. Regardless of how little, they would still have hope that IF they made full restitution to the victim AND served the time that was allotted to them for the crime they committed, THEN they get to go free again.

Your idea has merit, but still, in my mind, hasn't the severity to STOP crime. My method gives the prisoner only one end result; to survive and do excellent work to gain respect INSIDE their prison home that will remain their prison home until they are dead.

The result of MY method is that crime would virtually stop. People would turn their brains back on and accept the fact that breaking ANY of societies laws would result in their incarceration for the remainder of their lives with NO possibility of that incarceration ending prior to their death.

The acceptance of this end result of crime would make the commission of ANY crime something only a total fool would do.

I misunderstood you to be one of the people who cries for prisoners rights. If that was a misunderstanding, then I apologize to you.

After almost 60 years of seeing the same result of the current method of punishment for crime, I see that it plainly does not work.

It's time to repair it and make our homes safe and secure to us again.

(There, I've brought this back onto topic for the group.)

Reply to
NatGreenMeds

You really don't understand what I wrote, do you? Virtually no prisoners under my plan, other than the trivial would ever get out. When I say a victim must recover completely, I'm not just talking about monetary restitution. It's a virtually unatainable bar. It doesn't give hope, it's a mocking tease.

Your plan is far too expensive to implement. Meanwhile, mine takes a liability and turns it back into an asset, (mothball fleet) at reduced cost to the taxpayer. Any idea what it current costs to house a prisner in a US prison? You could send them all to Harvard for the same amount of money.

We are in agreement that the current system doesn't work at all as a deterent because of indeterminate sentences.

Reply to
salty

Sometimes they can't help it - crimes of passion come to mind.

Until you've been vamped by a 12-year old in a thong who's made a pact with others in her sixth-grade class over who'll get pregnant first...

Reply to
HeyBub

Then they go to prison until they die. Period. End of story. No excuses accepted. Watch the so called crimes of passion almost stop.

What bull.

If you let your dick run your life, then you're simple anyway.

Turn your brain back on. What you said is something a not-too-bright kid would say, not an adult.

Reply to
Merlin

wrote

Many people truly never fully recover, PTSD being one of the most common lasting effects. And what if it gets too much for them and they OD on Xanax? Would the perp then be charged with murder, or walk free from that day on because the point of the victim is moot? And what government agency is going to keep track of all this? Hell, we got agencies now that ignore child abuse until it becomes homicide. Wouldn't take long to populate it with liberal Democrats, and then the victims would have to start paying restitution to the perps.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

No, Salty. You just lost the ability to communicate any farther with me. I see you are a troll and a shit stirrer, and do not want to hear facts. I see several posts where you contradict your previous statement. I see several posts that are ad hominem. I see you can't stick to the subject or discuss things maturely. I see you're obviously overmedicated and selfmedicated.

Ta Ta For Now. You take care, ya hear? And I hope your next reality sandwich is a big bitter one.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Exactly. Why should a criminal ever go free while his victim is still suffering?

Reply to
salty

Pfffft

Reply to