OT: How Do You Steer This Thing?

IMO, only the first 1:30 of this video is any good, the rest is really boring "tractors stuck in the mud" footage.

If I understand how the rig works, the rear wheels of the truck drive the tracks, but I don't see how the driver turns it - unless he can somehow alter the power to each set of rear wheels separately. That's not normal for a pickup truck.

What am I missing?

DerbyDad03

Back in the old VW dune buggy days you had 2 levers on the parking brake cable so you could stop the spinning wheel and get the one that had some traction going. I bet this thing just brakes the track on the inside of the turn you want to make. It works as long as you do not have a limited slip bucket in the truck.

Reply to
gfretwell

Meaning that the truck would have to have been modified to work like that since pickup trucks don't normally have 2 parking brakes.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The brake can be in the track mechanism. The effect will be the same.

Reply to
gfretwell

How would the driver access/operate it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Dunno, I was just dealing with the mechanics of turning tracked vehicles. Watch a tank movie and watch them stop the inside track to turn. With a standard rear axle, that would work fine. I suppose for instinctive turning, using something available, you would key something off the front tires.

Reply to
gfretwell