how to fix this main door?

Hi

I am not sure really how to fix this main door? (please see video below). I think there was a screen door on top but got removed or something. Now one side of the door is missing board (wood) to cover it. The main wall is fak e bricks. I can buy the missing wood but how to attack it?

Thanks a lot.

leza wang

Yes, there was a storm door there and some of the metal trim is still in place. It is easily removed with a screwdriver.

Once you remove it, you can tell better what you need to repair the right side as it is going to be the same as what is on the left side. Door trim is usually the same up one side, across the top, down the other side. Looks like it was hacked up rather badly or the door was torn off in a wind storm.

Most of the time it is attached to the framing with nails. If there is rot behind it though, that should be repaired first, then attach the wood and paint it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I replaced my storm door, I used vinyl stock for the frame instead of wood. Since all the exposed material around my door will remain white as long as I'm living here, vinyl was the perfect solution.

I have also used vinyl to make custom trim profiles for a couple of VRW that I installed. You can glue vinyl trim with Super Glue and build up essentially any profile that works for you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I would install a new storm door

Reply to
bob haller

I agree. Take the storm door trim off with a screwdriver and see what it looks like underneath. Then make the right side look like the left side. Maybe it needs a piece of wood or maybe a piece of wood and a piece of trim to make it match the left side.

Reply to
TomR