(OT) Henry Winkler sells out his whole generation

This has nothing to do with home repair, but it has a lot to do with your home ownership.

In the 60s and 70's Winkler was "The Fonz" someone we looked up to, and admired. Later he played parts in movies and continued to entertain his generation, (meaning the so called "baby boomers"). Being from that genertion, I know I always looked up to him as a good actor, comedian, and entertainer.

In recent years, with Winkler being around the age of 70, he's selling out his whole generation by doing commercials and acting as a spokesman for reverse mortgages through Quicken Loans. Which is little more than a scam to rob senior citizens of their home. Sure, they claim you can still live in your home, but read the fine print and you'll soon discover the scam.

SHAME ON YOU HENRY WINKLER!

You have sold out your whole generation, and YOU are one of us seniors, but we all know you wont need a reverse mortgage. You're probably making enough money just from doing these scam commercials, not to mention all the wealth you made from your acting career. You just lost me as an admirer and fan. You're a crook. I wont be watching any of your movies or the re-runs of "Happy Days" series anymore.

Reply to
old-1950s-coot

At least one web page agrees.

Stormin Mormon

Although I personally have nothing against Winkler...as a Milwaukeean I was kind of miffed that they put up a statue of him downtown.

He is nothing but an actor and I would have preferred they put a statue up of someone from Milwaukee who actually did good. Out of a city of a million or so I bet there are two or three good people here.

Reply to
philo

I have no problem with old actors/politicians trying to make a buck but have been very leery about reverse mortgages.

They say they are insured but the insurance is to the issuer not the borrower.

My brother looked into it and you also have to pay a big property assessment fee and maybe others. Dave Ramsey says you are better off down-sizing if you can no longer afford to live in your house.

Reply to
Frank

I have no doubt that on the average, the adds are heavily in favor of the reverse mortgager rather than the home owner but I can understand why someone would want to stay in their own home and not worry about their heirs getting a better return.

Today's financial system sucks though!

Reply to
philo

I haven't seen the ads but if Henry is like most actors, they don't really pay attention to the details of the product they pitch. Their agents simply get them a gig to make some money and they simply play a role. I'm willing to bet he doesn't even know much about Quicken Loans or at least, didn't prior to the agreement.

Do you really believe Jennifer Garner uses a Capital One card or at least even know much about it?

Reply to
Meanie

This looks like a vehicle for someone with no heirs and they just want to live out their life in their home. I guess it is a way to screw your kids if you are mad at them tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

philo posted for all of us...

I agree. When I think of Milwaukee I think of beer or Milwaukee Tools. Beer not so much any more...

Reply to
Tekkie®

I will note that I don't have any kids so this taints my perspective.

Kids shouldn't expect a wad of money. Other than life insurance to send them to school if one croaks. My parents didn't have a pot to piss in and I had no expectations. It was their money and I did not tell them how to spend it. They were cognizant of what they had when they retired. They gave my brother and me a good life, I know they had hard times on account of it.

Now kids get new cars upon graduation. Trips to find themselves. Is this a good thing? Better persons than me can answer that question.

If you want to leave a legacy give it to a worthwhile charity, depending on your wishes. Church, SPCA, Wounded Warriors, cancer, your imagination, make certain they spend the money wisely.

If one has extra bux they don't need then send them to me! 8-)

Reply to
Tekkie®