OT. Grouchy Hamsters

Scientists thought they knew how make hamsters friendlier. The opposite happened.

Dean Hoffman

So does this mean I shouldn't buy that Home Gene-Editing Kit my girlfriend wants me to get?

She said it can edit out the Sloppy-Bachelor Gene and she'd be willing to come over to my place then.

Reply to
micky

How did that happen, did they sign them up for alt.home.repair?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How is gene-editing suppopsed to work anyhow? I suppose you can edit new cells but aren't 90% if your cells years old and they're going to be around for years to come.

You get new blood cells, new skin cells, new lymph cells (I suppose), new hair and fingernail cells. If you break a bone you get a lot of new bone cells. But your brain for example, where a lot of decisions are made, didn't we get our brain cells by the time our heads were full size and don't most of them last a lifetime? Even if, say, they're replaced every few years, how could gene editing have much effect until a lot of them were replaced and wouldn't that take years? Same thing for the glands what make those hormones.

Reply to
micky

LOL. Really. You have my belly shaking.

Reply to