(OT) Earwax removal

Seems I have been having an earwax problem lately. In all my years, I would just take a Qtip and clean them out, but this time it's not working. Maybe I got water in my ear from swimming??? Either way, it's annoying. I'm posting this because some of you may know a better way to clean out the wax. I try to avoid going to doctors for small issues like this....

Reply to
Paintedcow

...and I thought this would be micky? huh? I think they use a diluted peroxide for that...you know how to use Google!

Reply to
bob_villa

Mineral oil - it loosens it enough that a warm shower will usually drain things out. Sometimes need to repeat a few times. The wax can form a hard little ball - like a small pea .. When you flush it out - you will wonder how you were walking around with a pea in your ear for so long ! The doctor < nurse > will use a warm sterile water flush-out - as you hang over a sink - like an oversized turkey baster. Put a towel over your pillow to catch the oil & wax drainage. A simple google search will give you lots of free advice. eg : - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Earwax blockage can often be prevented by avoiding the use of cotton-tipped swabs or Q-tips and other objects that push the wax deeper into the ear canal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - John T.

Reply to
hubops

I use their nasal wash products at the recommendation of my ENT Dr. They also have ear cleaning products.

Reply to
Ken Olson

Earwax impaction is common in older guys because you grow more hair in your ears as you age. Instead of the wax drying up and falling out, it clings to the hairs and clumps up.

If if gets down over the ear drum, your hearing is degraded. Or worse, an infection forms behind the wax and if not treated, your ear drum punctures. Then your hearing really goes in the crapper for a few months until it heals. There's some permanent hearing loss due to the healed puncture too.

Remove wax with a 50-50 hydrogen peroxide and warm water placed in ear with big ear syringe. Leave it in there until the bubbling slows, then flush out with the same mix. Repeat until the bubbling finally quits.

If that doesn't do it, go see an ENT doc-- not your regular family guy. The ENT will have an ear microscope and the proper tools/experience to get the wax out.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Commercial products like Debrox are a mix of peroxide and vegetable oil.

The peroxide bubbles and feels good. The oil is what softens the wax. You can use any vegetable oil, per my doctor. It takes a while though. Can be days.

Then you use warm water squirted in to flush out wax. The syringe they sell is useless, too slow and not thin enough. Use any household squirt bottle with the nozzle set on the thinnest stream.

Reply to
TimR

Some worried that the wax might not flow out naturally and properly, creating a "clot" inside the ear canal.... :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

DON'T use Qtips in your ears.

You can get ear cleaning products at the drug store. They come with an ear syringe and a bottle of drops to put in the ear. Follow the directions.

Keep the ear syringe and flush your ears with warm water if you think you might be getting a new build up.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:26:06 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wro te:

I found out most over the counter products work if you following the instru ctions. I wear a hearing aid and found out if use those ear and nose clippers you c an reduce the the hair in your ears and for me it meant a better fit for m y hearing aid and when I had my ears checked they told me with less hair in my ears made the flow of wax easier to remove,

Reply to
Jack G.

As the old saying goes, "Never put anything smaller than your elbow in the ear canal!"

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I've had chronic problems (for decades) with ear wax build-up since I was in my 20s. I've found that the following supplies are all I need to prevent/treat the problem. (1) mineral oil or "baby oil" (which is just mineral oil with a small amt. of scent added, (2) a good old fashioned medicine dropper, and (3) an infant aspiration syringe - which is a rubber squeeze bulb that tapers to a moderate sized nozzle.

I start by putting about 4-5 drops of mineral oil into the ear, keeping my head tilted to retain the oil for about 3 minutes. Then I place a small cotton ball or wadded up single sheet of toilet tissue into the outer ear to catch the majority of the oil which will drain out soon after you stop tilting your ear. After about 3 more minutes, remove the cotton or tissue and discard it. Repeat this process 2x/day for 2-3 days.

After 2-3 days of treatment with the oil, put a folded towel or other padding on the floor next to the bathroom sink, take off your shirt and undershirt, and fill the sink to a depth of about 3" with body temperature water. Kneel down on the folded towel and lean into the sink so that the affected ear is over the sink. Squeeze the aspiration syringe and fill it with water. With your free hand, pull up and back on your outer ear to help straighten the ear canal. Place the tip of the syringe nozzle into the canal, positioning the tip as though it was pointed toward the tip of your nose. Gently squeeze the nozzle. Refill the syringe and keep doing this for about 4-5 minutes unless you are lucky and discharge a lot of wax before then. Repeat as needed 2x/day until your hearing seems restored and you've seen a few decent sized chunks of wax in the water (not just tiny flakes or crumbs of wax) in the sink. It sometimes takes me 2-3 days to clear the wax but it has never failed.

P.S. 1. You want the water to be approximately body temperature to avoid stimulating a natural reflex that will cause your eyes to involuntarily scan sideways for a few minutes and can be accompanied by really nasty dizziness. 2. You want the stream of water to be forceful enough to further soften and eventually dislodge the wax, but not so forceful that if it streams against your eardrum it will damage it. Of course, if you ever produce bleeding or pain in the process of irrigating your ear, stop irrigation immediately and see an ENT doctor.

Reply to
Peter

I've had this problem for years and oddly enough have been to the doctors today to have my ears syringed, yet again. I've found the best way is to put a few drops of olive oil down my ears before they are syringed, say for 5 days. This softens the wax. The nurse does the job and it only takes a few minutes. Do NOT shove Qtips down your ears.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Tried it, it did not work.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire
[snip]

The one I've seen is called "Debrox" and comes in a yellow and green package. Drops are available seperately.

I used to have to see the doctor every couple of years because of earwax, and using this has kept it from getting that bad. I use the drops / syringe when I notice earwax.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

BTW, a drop of warm water (or ear drops) is smaller than your elbow.

Reply to
Sam E

Too lazy to scrape it out yourself?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Once again you have displayed your gross stupidity, Hucker. You really are a pillock.

From NHS

What to do if you think your ear is blocked Don't try to remove a build-up of earwax yourself with your fingers, a cotton bud or any other object. This can damage your ear and push the wax further down.

If the earwax is only causing minor problems, you can try buying some eardrops from a pharmacy. These can help soften the earwax so that it falls out naturally.

There are several different types of eardrops you can use, including drops containing sodium bicarbonate, olive oil or almond oil.

However, eardrops aren't suitable for everyone and some can irritate the skin. For example, eardrops shouldn't be used if you have a perforated eardrum (a hole or tear in your eardrum).

Speak to your pharmacist about the most suitable product for you and make sure you read the leaflet that comes with it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Funny how that's why cue tips are made.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

FromTheRafters

Yeah, don't shove it through your eardrum. You do it slowly and stop when it hurts. I find a small Philips screwdriver better for hard wax.

Reply to
James Wilkinson