OT - Cell phones

I have a Nokia 2600 TracFone and it's about the simplest cellphone out there. I have actually use the stopwatch function to time a gas fired conveyor oven but I rarely even play with any of the other functions and I have NEVER used the texting function. The fracking buttons are too small.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Why not? What everyone I know and I think is that the pirates should have been left to fail and more honest institutions should have taken over just like with any other failure.

Its a behavioral thing. Assuming you have children suppose your teenager carelessly wrapped their car around a tree. How much of a lesson do you think it would be if you woke them up the next morning and said "honey, I know you didn't mean it so hear are the keys to a new car I just bought for you" or suppose your brother in law was an irresponsible gambler and came to you for money and you said "OK Bob, let me get my checkbook, will $100,000 be enough?

But the democrat Congress (the division of government that holds the purse strings) was in control for the last two years of the Bush administration. They could have simply said no. They didn't so they bear the lion's share of the responsibility. That includes my congressman who was one of the biggest pimps of the "too big to fail" marketing campaign.

Reply to
George

CY: I've heard from two other people that the Fed Ex drivers aren't very diligent. They slap a sticker on the door and run. They don't make much effort to pound on the door, ring the bell, etc.

I simply don't answer if the CID is blocked. That idea is something from the past when cell phones were a lot more expensive to use and not as common. Some people thought it was a big deal if they had your cell # and would sometimes abuse the privilege. Now all you do is annoy someone if you block CID.

CY: when I got my first cell, I also had a pager. I'd have people beep me, and I'd ring em back. Much the same, I didn't want to pay for junk calls coming in. Now days, cells are common. Today I turned off the call ID blocking for my outgoing calls.

It comes in very handy for me. What is the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words?

CY: Yes, I've found that to be the case. I've been able to pop and send a picture many times, and that's really come in handy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

YEah, that really pushes my buttons.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We're pretty fortunate from that standpoint. Only one of our customers blocks our calls. Most agree with our reasoning if we explain it. I ask "Do you want to pay my boss XX $/hour for me to talk to Farmer Blue on the phone about his problems?" I don't see how guys in welding/repair shops track their time. It seems like they are always being interrupted. I doubt there is such a thing as flat rate for most of their work. Our office can handle most of the questions and the scheduling. We need to concentrate on our repair work. We're like most farm related businesses. Things get pretty hectic during the growing season. It's better organized if farmers call the office to schedule work instead of trying to track us down.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have a pager and instruct people to call that number and leave a message, I keep my cellphone turned off.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

how stupid. You can take messages by having them call your cell phone with its ringer turned off or set to beep just once. Once less device to pay service for or to carry around.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Before you questioned my intelligence, pinhead, you should have asked. If there is an emergency, I've instructed those who would have reason to call me in an emergency to punch in 911 followed by their number, usually the last four digits or a pass-code. I won't talk on my cellphone when I'm driving, not because I can't walk and chew gum at the same time but because the multitude of inattentive morons I share the public roads with requires that I practice extreme diligence.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Pagers are pretty much an historical artifact in many areas. There is only one carrier left that serves my area and they have lots of issues because they aren't making any money.

I don't get your logic. If you keep your cellphone turned off for some reason why not just let folks leave a message on the cellphone voice mail?

Reply to
George

Thats what voicemail is for. If you are busy or need to focus your attention on something you let the call go to voicemail.

If you are on the road a lot one of the best investments you can make is a BT speakerphone. Mine announces the incoming caller and does a very decent job of voice calling.

Reply to
George

What's astonishing is, how cell-phones have dozens of features so one can have/buy/own any number of devices to interact with each of them, giving everyone more features than they know what to do with, so everyone can have an untold number of personalized options, yet you two think everyone should use theirs exactly like you do. What a couple of pompous asses.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Why do you care?

You can FAX me your reply.

nb

Reply to
notbob

That's why I have voicemail with my paging service. If I need to write down information, I pull over to the side of the road or I wait to get to my destination before trying to decipher what someone is trying to tell me. I rarely talk and drive unless it's to get directions on the move and that's usually at slow speeds without a flock of 3000 pound unguided missiles surrounding me. GEEZ!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Why carry two devices when the cell phone can do everything the pager does. Why have people leave a message on one device forcing you to manually dial it on another device? Just leave the message on the cell phone, and then call back later.

Who the f*ck said you have to be a roadside hazzard in order for people to leave messages on your cellphone. Maybe you shouldn't have either device if you are incapable of prioritizing your attention.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Thank you for telling me about my donkey's attitude. If you had read closely, you may have noticed that I described what I DO MYSELF, not what everyone else SHOULD or MUST do. I wrote about MY use of a cell phone and pager. I wouldn't think of trying to control your use of a cellphone. If your use of a cellphone is a danger to me on the road, I'm going to be as far away from you as I can get. My philosophy is to let the inattentive drivers wreck behind me, not in front of or next to me. Please behave as you wish, it's your right to do so. If you were chastising someone else, never mind.... 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Because I've had the same freaking pager number for more than 20 years! It's how everyone knows how to get in touch with me! DO YOU UNDERSTAND! GEEZ!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

All the cell phone companies have both 1) the ability to leave a number instead of a message and 2) the ability to call back the person who left the voicemail with a single command.

I don't see having to read the # off a pager to be manually typed into a cell phone as a great feature.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Sure, lots of folks used to use pagers including me but when cellphone coverage matured they migrated whomever had that number to something else and put the pager in the drawer.

If you are that dependent on a pager you are going to be in a world of hurt when the paging company disappears. There is only one paging company left that serves my area and I think about 6 more adjoining states and they can't pay their bills (no customers left). My buddy works for a communications company and he bumps into the guy (yes guy, they only have one tech left) from the pager company and he said just a few months ago their system in our region was down for over a week because they didn't have credit anymore and had to arrange to get and pay cash for whatever part they needed.

Reply to
George

One more time, I have had the same pager number for more than 20 years, it's how people get in touch with me. If it's an emergency, those who have a reason to call me with an emergency know to punch in 911 followed by their number. REDUNDANT communication is important to me and the paging system has proven itself to be much more reliable in getting a message to me. I hope you can understand that. I have more than one phone number and those numbers are forwarded to a single point which is my paging service. A cellphone doesn't always work and only one cellphone has ever proven itself to be as tough as my pager which will last 15 years. It has a 1996 Motorola Nextel phone that was huge and tough enough to use as a billy club and keep working. The little Nokia I have now, comes apart, flying in all directions if I drop it. The pager hits the ground, bounces a few times and all I have to do is wipe any dirt off of it keep on truckin. I want things that work all the time and in my many years of experience, cellphones don't do that.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The paging/communications company I use does more than just pagers. I doubt it will be going under soon. I will be long gone before that company perishes. The only thing I have to say about it is that my "antiquated" communication system just works and that's all that's important to me. I would never criticize you for your choice of methods to communicate unless you were endangering me or someone else. This idiocy of having to TELL people that texting while driving is dangerous, is incomprehensible. If you have to tell someone to pay attention to the road, that person should not be driving. It's not just cellphones, it's the nut behind the wheel trying to talk, text, shave, put on makeup or yell at the rugrats.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas