OT - Cell phones

My cell phone died. LG VX-5500. A year and a half old, not that old. Took my old backup phone to the cell store, and got the service moved over.

New phone arrives tomorrow, Fed Ex. I'm amazed how essential cell phone is, in my life. Not sure what I did before they were invented.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here's where you should have gotten your new phone.

That way if you were too lazy to work our great leader in Washington fixed it so you could get a free phone and free service at the expense of the tax paying citizens.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You mean like the near trillion dollars of taxpayer money given to crooked financial institutions?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Why are you lying about the actual nature of that free phone program?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Party pooper.

I like the summary; "This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.

Wilson Phones, anyone?"

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It is a shame and shows how corrupt both sides are. Congress is the only one who can authorize such payments and the democrat Congress with Pilosi having the gavel in her hand as speaker approved "helping" the pirate organizations.

That is why organizations such as the tea party have sprung up because the average person is tired of politicians who are owned by special interests.

Reply to
George

Especially since they could just use their government "gold card"

George

I've not had one for three years now, and it's a liberating experience. If people need to contact me in an emergecy, they'll find a way. For everything else, I'm either near a land-line, or email, or whatever it is can wait until I get to it. Life just shouldn't be so fast that we have to be at someone's beck and call every waking second of the day :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yet yesterday, the Administration was touting how much of that had already been paid back or would soon be paid back. Which is it?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:Q4cro.50676$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.iad:

There is a TV ad with a woman where a grandmother says she can call her grandkids for free. WTF is that? They make it seem the free program is for emergencies and trying to find jobs. Then they throw in the part about the grandmother. geesh, my prepaid doesn't allow me 200 minutes a month, yet the freeloaders call whoever they want.

Reply to
ktos

RR, the truly great leader. Would have reduced taxes so the economy would stimulate. And then I could get a job with good benefits, and buy my own cell phone.

"Lazy people don't prosper". - Shane, from the Surviving Katrena blog.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you were only allowed to consult **ONE** news source, which **ONE** would you choose?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I spent the entire day waiting for Fed Ex to drop off my new phone. Usually they are here about 10 AM. The guy arrived 4:37 PM, left a door sticker. I was here, but didn't hear him knock. Musta not knocked very loud.

So, four service calls I could have done today get rescheduled. I'm going to spend tomorrow apologizing to people. See if I can either do the work, reschedule a second time, chase around and try to keep everyone happy. All the time cursing Verizon and Fed Ex.

I called the toll free number. She says if I sign the door sticker, he should leave the package. Lets hope I can get the phone activated. My backup piece of equipment, the battery doen't keep a charge. I did find the emergency charger I bought years ago. Came with the first set of batteries. Which have since corroded, leaked all over the package.

Curses to Verizon and their signature required. Curses to the Fed Ex driver who doesn't pound on doors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, it's a curious thing that Obama and the Dems haven't made a point of explaining that 90% of the $787Bil TARP money has either been paid back or is no longer at risk. The last estimate I heard recently was that they think the govt will lose $70bil tops, with the real possibility of it actually being zero or showing a profit. Yet almost everyone keeps acting like the money was just given to the banks and other businesses with no repayment. Instead the Dems just keep taking a beating, which they should for plenty of other reasons, but not for this.

It's also interesting that the TARP plan was initiated under the final months of Bush, was counted towards the Bush deficit that Obama likes to point to that he inherited. But $700 bil of that deficit the govt has or is getting back, hence it did not really increase the national debt. The spending Obama has done after that was the money that was truly handed out, really added to the deficit, and will never be paid back.

Reply to
trader4

Same here. They're much handier than the business band radios of old. We can leave voice mail for each other with the phone which is a big advantage over the radios. We can call our farmer customers if we need to. They can't call us. Our phones don't broadcast our numbers, a very handy feature. My co worker has a camera phone. It was handy once. He tried to describe an electrical component to me without success. He showed me a picture of it the next day. I bought the first personal ones for my parents. They needed one if they had problems traveling on country roads in Nebraska. A list here of prepaid cell phones if anyone happens to be interested: >

Dean Hoffman

The best cellphone I ever had was my 1996 Motorola Nextel push to talk radio/cellphone. It put out a full watt of RF and was stout enough to club a mugger over the head with and still function to call the cops. It was big too, big enough for my big hands and didn't break like all these dinky little inexpensive overly complicated wonders of technology that we have to put up with now. I JUST WANT A CELLPHONE THAT FREAKING MAKES PHONE CALLS AND FITS DARNED HAND!!! Phew! My head hurts.....

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Same here. They're much handier than the business band radios of old. We can leave voice mail for each other with the phone which is a big advantage over the radios.

CY: Yes, that's good. I'd guess that there was once in a while when the cell towers were overloaded, or the power was out. That the business radios worked. But, that's not very often.

We can call our farmer customers if we need to. They can't call us. Our phones don't broadcast our numbers, a very handy feature.

CY: Ah, so you have call ID blocking. I did that for a while. I'm considering unblocking for the new phone. Nice to have my customers be able to get a hold of me.

My co worker has a camera phone. It was handy once. He tried to describe an electrical component to me without success. He showed me a picture of it the next day.

CY: Yes, that's good. The phone I had, was able to email pictures to others computers. Which came in handy.

I bought the first personal ones for my parents. They needed one if they had problems traveling on country roads in Nebraska.

CY: I have suggested a phone for my parents, but they don't seem interested at the moment.

A list here of prepaid cell phones if anyone happens to be interested: >

CY: Thanks, that looks useful.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sadly, the phones of today are miniature, and too complicated. I had a look for "handicap cell phones" and found this:

buttons, simple featurees, etc.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I simply don't answer if the CID is blocked. That idea is something from the past when cell phones were a lot more expensive to use and not as common. Some people thought it was a big deal if they had your cell # and would sometimes abuse the privilege. Now all you do is annoy someone if you block CID.

It comes in very handy for me. What is the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words?

Reply to
George

I've still got my old Nokia 9100 GSM phone and about 4 batteries for it . Nothing but a phone. No extras, and it just works, and works. Better range than my Blackberry too. I keep it around as a backup/spare.

Reply to
clare