OT: Car seat heaters

I've never felt the need for them. Your back is against the seat, you soon warm it up yourself. It's the front of you that's exposed to the cold air.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I thought they were pretty standard now. Every car I've had since 1983 had them. They fo on with the rear defroster.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In the UK, they're rare on cars pre 2003. Volvos have them.

You don't have a seperate switch?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We had our first snowfall last night that followed a rainy day. Let the games begin.

Reply to
rbowman

Coolers would be better. Cheap vinyl seats, a van without A/C, and august in Georgia adds up to a bad case of adult diaper rash.

Reply to
rbowman

For what you've said you go for more upscale rides than I do.

Reply to
rbowman
[snip]

The "inverter/120V pad" combination has one really big advantage. I had them.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Actually it's got that too. I splurged with this car purchase and got the top of the trim line!

It also has all the current electronic safety features (really nice) and most every accessory bell and whistle you can think of (some of them are ridiculous, many are unnecessary, and most all are distracting when you're driving.

The only thing that mitigates the distraction is that most of them can be voice controlled- and that works pretty well once you train it to your speech patterns.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

e:

In November?!? Do you live in Alaska or something?

-- =

If you own a =A33,000 machine gun and a =A35,000 rocket launcher, but yo= u can't afford shoes, you may be a Muslim.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Montana. The weather gets iffy after Halloween but the snow seldom sticks this early in the valley. One year it snowed in early June. Trees that have leafed out aren't designed for snow loading.

Reply to
rbowman

True, dat!

We once hadda late snowfall in May. I called it a "pruning snow", as

5 inches of heavy wet snow took off tree branches throughout the valley. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

+100 on that. Great for backs.

I don't think JWS understands comfort/old age. One is not forced to buy anything but he or I can make are own choices.

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 20:48:10 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

I keep saying you have a heater right in front of you capable of blowing= warm air at your feet, chest, face, etc. Why on earth would you need t= he seat warmed up too? I dread to think how many heat sources you must = have in your house.

-- =

Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 20:48:10 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

Every car I've ever been in with heated seats, you press the button and = you get a little red light, then if you think really carefully about it,= you can sort of notice a slightly warmer seat. But it's not worth the = bother. You wouldn't even notice if you'd left it on.

-- =

Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword
[snip]

Not worth it. That's what I thought.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Depends on the car and what you are wearing. Some only heat the bottom, others both back and bottom. Some are more powerful than others too.

If you are wearing a parka, the coat will insulate you so much you will not feel the seat heat. With a light jacket on a chilly day, a good seat will take the chill away and feel comfy.

Don't let one poor experience sway your opinion. I had a Buick where they did very little, but my Genesis had very good warmth. Steering wheel too. That is really nice on a cold day.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why not just turn the normal heater on? This warms up the air in the entire car.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not the only thing on a buick that does very little - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Is it true that American cars can't do corners?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword