OT: Car seat heaters

Car seat heaters - what's the point? You've got tonnes of hot air coming out of the vents at your feet/face/windshield. What's the point in warming the seat?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Some people have pain down there, which is relieved with heat.

Reply to
Sam E

Allows dealers to charge $40K per vehicle! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Reply to
Retired

Many times, and I can tll you it sure beats sitting on a vinyl seat at the same temperature> I have not had a vehicle with heated seats, but I HAVE had a heated seat cushion - and when you have a sore back, being able to heat the seat back REALLY makes a difference.

Reply to
clare

I hate the leather seats. I Bought the first one a few months back. Would not have gotten it, but for the car the only way to get a V6 was to get the leather seats. I have ridden in them and the heated seats are really needed in the winter. Same as the old Vianal or whatever the plastic seats used to be in cars. The only use I can see for leather is for the ones that have dogs so the hair will clean up easy. Damn things are hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Unless you have a bad back, all you need/want is to heat your body up. = Your circulation will take it from wherever the heater is to your whole = body.

-- =

8 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Sca= lextric cars.
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And make a lot of noise when you adjust your butt.

-- =

Mary had a little lamb, it walked into a pylon. 10,000 volts went up it= s arse, and turned its wool to nylon.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Refridgerated testes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So they fit it to every car just for a minority?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've had leather seats in most of my last 8 crs - not in my current pickup or my wife's current Taurus, but the last 6 (converted my TranSport from fabric to leather) - the only one I didn't like was the Mystique - the leather was thick and hard instead of soft and supple - and it is the only one I would say was ever "cold" or "hot" to any extent. The GM and Chrysler leathers were VERY comfortable and I'll be looking for leather interior when we go looking for a replacement for the Taurus.

The truck will likely not get replaced - it's 22 years old in a few months, with 350,000km on it - it will likely last as long as I need a truck

Reply to
clare

I've had leather in eight cars too. I never found the heat to be a problem, it increases the comfort in cold weather too. After 15 minutes or so I usually turn mine off.

In addition, I have a heated steering wheel too. In cold weather I turn it to "ON" when I shut the car off. In the morning I remote start it an in only a couple of minutes gripping the wheel sure is nice.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sissy.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When I wanted a heated seat, I used a heating pad & inverter for a lot less.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Why bother with an inverter - 12 volt heting pads are readily available. - as well as 12 volt "seat cushions"

Reply to
clare

When it's 4 below (Fahrenheit) you get tons of hot air about 5 minutes after your ass froze off. That said, I've never had a car with heated seats and wouldn't pay extra for them. Heated exterior mirrors would be nice though.

Reply to
rbowman

+1

Leather here too, no problems with too much heat. It has 3 levels. I've had a convertible with heated seats, nice in cooler weather with the top down.

Reply to
trader_4

Most people have circulation and their bodies accept incoming heat from any direction. If you're talking about pre-heating the seat, you might aswell pre-heat the whole car with the normal heater.

I have, and they make so little heat it's difficult to tell if they're on.

Agreed. Bloody annoying when you try to change lane then discover you have no idea if anyone's already there.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

?
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ya' know I felt the same way about seat heaters for years, especially since I live in the South. But my current ride has them and the few times I've turned them on, they're pretty nice...

Reply to
Wade Garrett