OT: Allow mobile phones when driving? Or ban the disabled from driving?

You'd have to be pretty thick not to be able to do two things at the same time. Try talking to him while he's brushing his teeth and see if he swallows the brush.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So we're relying on the common sense of the police. This will not end well.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There was no need for that, surely there's already a law of driving your car onto a private piece of land without permission? And of vandalising it? Assuming they did harm. If they didn't, then who cares?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Adolf was the best leader we ever had. You really like all these religious nutters around do you?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only if you have half a brain.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But you only need two people to pass before one will help.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The last time I missed someone, I was talking on my phone, while holding it. They pulled out of a side street, from behind stopped cars going the other way to me, and the next thing I knew I'd dropped the phone, stood on the brake, and swerved to the left. I didn't even think about it, it just happened as automatically as if I'd lost my balance and moved my foot to correct it.

Almost everyone can multitask.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What I'm complaining about is getting done for holding a phone and talking on it. That clearly is not a distraction, you're still looking straight ahead.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The last time I saw that, it took 10 minutes for someone to get the f****ng thing to work. Bluetooth might work in your house, but not in a car full of interference.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Seeing is very important for driving, unless you have a very fast guide dog. But you really don't need two arms.

The brain cannot process everything in the scene, but it can select important things, it goes by changes. Something moves unexpectedly, you immediately think "is that gonna hit me?"

I can concentrate on more than one thing, anyway things like driving are done mainly subconsciously, which can very quickly interrupt any conscious thing like a conversation on a phone.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why are you even thinking about dangers? Your brain automatically spots movement. Let your subconscious warn you that person X has moved, so you react to that, not the one you predicted would.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

We also don't want them doing it while sat in a petrol station after having filled up while there's a queue behind them.

And as for good looking, I prefer to see their skin than some paint.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So you have one example where it worked out okay. Someone pulling out from a side street . Next time you may not be so lucky, nor will the guy you kill.

People switch back and forth, but they can't simultask. If your car were moving a foot a minute, you'd have plenty of time to switch back and forth from one task to another, but it's not.

Reply to
micky

How many things do you think you're doing at the same time just driving?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No luck about it, I just explained to you that a different part of the brain is used to notice problems. It interrupts everything else.

You don't have a single "CPU" in your brain, your brain does different things with different parts of it. Those can occur at once.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Another pointless invention.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not so, I drove my manual with a broken arm, I just didn't change gear while steering.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Probably works in the showroom in a different environment with a different phone.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They're just afraid of the moronic foreigners hating Germany forever.

Funny how the Jews get all the press.

Agreed, if I was defective. Anything inferior being killed makes the next generation better.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I drove my manual with a broken leg. A length of PVC pipe served to actuate the clutch. I was a little busy when changing gears.

Reply to
rbowman