OT: Allow mobile phones when driving? Or ban the disabled from driving?

Funny how handsfree phones are legal. The law seems to think holding the phone somehow makes it dangerous to drive.

Bullshit. I was phoning someone today because I was late in a traffic jam. Quite a few times I just stopped talking and used that hand to indicate etc. No sane person places conversation high up in priority.

You can explain it to the caller later.

For a long chat just put it on speaker and place it on your knee.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have been run out of my lane by idiots not on the phone more than a few times.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So you can grass people off? Get a life.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But then you don't get the fun of going 50mph faster than everyone else.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The part of your brain that eats, the part that communicates, and the part that drives, are nothing to do with each other and can all operate independantly. I can even have a verbal conversation with someone while typing a completely different one.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I was once stuck behind two women driving 70 in a 70 (I wanted to go 100). They had their own cars, side by side, windows down, chatting to each other!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Plenty folk have done that without using a phone. Some folk are just unobservant.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I would have thought about 50% of people would be brave enough when they saw a life in danger.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That joke is meant to include a plane.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You've missed the point. We should allow people on the road if they're safe. If those one armed men can drive safely, then so can I using a phone.

Causing congestion.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In the UK it's technically illegal to use your phone while at a fast food joint, even to pay. Since you're in a car with the engine running! Sometimes the law is just beyond a joke.

Only if you spill the coffee.

I managed to text at 90mph with a broken arm. You just type one letter, glance out the window, type another letter, and so on.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Tech support even hands free is asking for trouble.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If you're talking about the muscle parts that drive, yes, and even if you include eys and ears probably, but deciding what to do with that information is thinking. So is communicating and I don't think anyone can think about two topics at once. I've tried for decades to think about two things at once, and I can't do it.

Maybe you're a rarity, or maybe you ignore the other person for short periods of time.

Reply to
micky

who is 'we'?

its about 2000 a year in the uk, 30,000 in the USA and still falling

No, we found that out.

Germany has a higher death rate than we do

Most RTA deaths occur in towns or minor roads anyway

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Best one I ever saw was a guy who could roll a perfect spliff while driving along at 60mph

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, you're not on the Public Highway

Reply to
charles

This chart for the US says other wise.

In 2017,18,19 it was over 35,000 deaths in the US.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The real solution is to round up and exterminate Lefists.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Maybe so, but the other 50% is still a lot!

Reply to
micky

Road traffic laws were extended many years ago to private land that the public have access to - specifically to deal with young drivers showing off on retail park and supermarket car parks, when they were closed at night. This does mean that using your phone to pay at a drive-through does open you up to a fine and points. Although it is highly unlikely that the police will do that.

Reply to
Steve Walker