OR: interesting pollution turning up from rolling fire bombs

Hi All,

Now this I would not have thought about.

To summarize, Coal Powered Rolling Fire Bombs (EV's) are heavier that fuel power vehicles. This is due to the weight of the battery. And with the demand for more run time from the batteries, EV are only getting heavier.

And the extra weight causes greater fine particle pollution due to the extra weight on the tires.

Form the article, it was not clear if this was particles from the tires, the road or both.

This extra pollution is probably minor when it comes to the massive pollution to the create the batteries and to recycle them. We have had heavy semi's on the roads for ages.

Interesting.

-T

What is interesting is that you call them fire bombs. Ford is recalling

350,000 ICE vehicles for a fire hazard and telling people to park them outside. Would they not also be fire bombs?
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bad point.

EV fires are very dangerous. Fuel powered, are also dangerous, but not to the degree that EV's are. Fuel powered do catch fire more often as a percent, than EV's but the result is far more dangerous with an EV.

You can extinguish a fuel powered vehicle. And their fires are not so SPECTACULAR. Did you look at any of the videos I sent? Far, far worst worse than an exploding Russian tank.

EV's are a bad solution for pollution too. Fuel powered are getting cleaner and cleaner. EV's pollute like hell and are far more damaging to the environment. 100,000 lbs dirt moved by petroleum power polluting equipment to make one 1000 lb EV battery. Oh Gee Wiz, lets turn the entire surface of the earth in to one YUGE open pit mine!

We need to stop the palm waxing and let the market take care of this. Let the consumer reward whomever meets their needs. Yes, I am EXTREMELY anti fascist. Real, actual Fascism, not what your side calls everyone they disagree with.

I'd love it if Subaru make a natural gas powered fuel cell car. I have safe NG hook ups to my house.

Hydrogen is coming, if we can get the Wokies/Liberals to buzz off nuclear power. Everything is currently worked out with Hydrogen, except for Leftists blocking the supply chain.

Fuel cell cars are awesome.

No, they're recalling about 39,000 for the fire hazard. The other

310,000 is for pickups with non-functioning airbags.
Reply to
rbowman

The stupid crap that Mr. T gets fed and falls for all the time never ends. From the start of his piece:

"According to a piece published Monday by the EV-centric outlet Green Car Reports, a British-based independent emissions testing firm found that particulate matter emissions from tires are 1,850 times greater under normal driving conditions than from a tailpipe of a gas-powered car."

I took one look at this and said WTF? They are comparing tire particles emitted from electric cars to tailpipe emissions from gas cars? As if gas cars don't also have tires? How dumb can you be? And I glanced through the rest of this crap, they just kept going on with the totally false comparison. This just shows the depths the whackos go to to mislead the gullible. And you're right, when people like Mr. T have to start off by calling electric cars fire bombs, it tells you all you need to know. He made up his mind on electric cars, global warming, Covid, vaccines and everything else on a political cult basis and then goes scrounging around in the dregs to find anything, no matter how obviously idiotic, that he thinks confirms his beliefs.

Reply to
trader_4

My God! People have died in garages and inside houses from carbon monoxide from gas powered cars! They are unsafe! We must not use them! Get rid of those rolling gas chambers!

Reply to
trader_4

You should know that EV's weigh over a thousand pounds more than gas cars and are much tougher on tires.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

If we had been using wood/coal-fired steam engines in our cars for the last century, and now we were being asked to consider moving to gasoline engines, the uproar would be very similar. Gasoline?! It stinks, it gets on my hands and clothes, it spills on the ground, it explodes like wood and coal never would, forget it!

There was probably the same uproar during the transition from horses to cars.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

That is true but comparing tire dust to tailpipe emissions is useless. Compare tires to tires. No, the big numbers attract attention.

Exaggeration for the sake of exaggeration. Did you hear about the mother that had a 200 pound baby? Yeah 20 years later they found out her baby is 200 pounds.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, it is not true.

Model Weight in pounds.

Tesla3 3500 (Standard) to 4027 (Long Range, Dual Motor). Camry 3310 to 3595 Elantra 2868 to 3020 Mercedes C300 3472 (stock) to 3869 (high-end) Lexus E250 3780 Hummer H2 6614 Ford F150 4021 to 5740 (most popular US vehicle, by far). Ford F150 EV 6171 (similar to high-end IC F150)

So the entire hypothesis is based on completely bogus facts; electric vehicles do _not_ weigh substantially more than average IC vehicle, and in fact, many IC vehicles weigh far more.

But why would one expect anything else from Factless Frank and the T?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

This is how you lie with statistics.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You should know that the POS article really didn't address any of that, just that EVs put out more particles from tires than gas cars do from exhaust. And if vehicle weight is an issue, then why isn't the same article railing simply against heavy vehicles, eg SUVs and pickup trucks, instead of just EVs? Couldn't be another stupid political thing, could it?

I didn't think about it at the time, but Mr. T's bitching about EVs being fueled by coal is certainly interesting. I mean Trump was running around all the time preaching about "beautiful, clean, coal" and the new conservatives are always ranting about how much coal we have that we could burn. Yet when it comes to EVs, Mr. T immediately turns to trying to denigrate them by claiming that they are powered by coal. Which of course is just more BS, because coal only accounts for 20% of US electric production, it's been steadily declining for decades. But heh, he's on your team so here you are, chiming in on the side of stupid, again.

Reply to
trader_4

Do you know if the airborne particulate from the tires, the road, or both?

We were and only were talking the tires. Tailpipe emissions are not particulate.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

--Mark Twain

I am surprised he did not include an Abrams tank

That would be unfair unless you know of an electric tank. The list above are mostly cars about the same size proving the EV is not the 1000 pound difference mentioned. I don't see you or Frank posting anything proving otherwise.

My Genesis G80 is 5423 pounds. Four door, AWD. The new electric version eG80 is only 4960 pounds. From Google: With all-wheel drive and the combined power of 469 horsepower and 713 pound-feet (967 Nm), it manages a 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) time of 3.1 seconds, despite weighing 4,960 pounds (2,250 kg).

Sorry the facts don't comply with your narrative.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The majority of the cars on the road are not the ones he included. The average rolling fire bomb weights more than the average fuel power vehicle. Both of you are twisting things to meet your narrative.

Coal powered rolling fire bombs are a rich man's toy. Not a practical solution for the rest of us.

When those pads wear out...

Reply to
rbowman

How about facts? I gave you an actual weight of my car and the new EV version that is lighter. You say the ones give are not in the majority? F-150 certainly is. Camry? Do you ever look at cars going by?

Don't just spout off your narrative, give some actual facts and figures if you think the examples are wrong.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski