OR: interesting pollution turning up from rolling fire bombs

"Truth" is not "Fact".

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Good luck proving that BPEV's are lighter weight than fuel vehicles.

Truth Over Facts! (0:30)

Ya, I know, he is senile (non compose mentis), so he can't really be held accountable. But his handlers sure can!

I did not get the exact details, but increasing the battery weight to get extended range apparently has a diminishing return to the point where more batteries eventually do not increase range.

I'm not trying to or saying they are, thous it is in once case. But if you read and comprehend the article, EVs do NOT weigh 1000 pounds more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I ran across an article that compared the gasoline powered Ford F-150 to its EV counterpart. An electric Volvo XC40 is heavier than its gasoline version. "Other electric vehicles also weigh more than similar gasoline-powered models. The Ford F-150 Lightning will weigh about 1,600 pounds more than a similar gas-powered F-150 truck. Similarly, the electric Volvo XC40 Recharge weighs about 1,000 pounds more than a gas-powered Volvo XC40." From

Dean Hoffman

That is in conflict with what rbowman posted the other day. He said it was about 1100. Pretty had to find the truth.

OTOH, does it matter? What is the difference in tire wear? The author was making the point that tire wear was the big pollutant but did not give the difference of an ICE vehicle. The whole thing comes down to a bull shit agenda.

The author shouls write about food. Beans make more farts than potatoes or rice so we should not pollute with beans.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Its the batteries that weight 1000 lbs.

You are slicing the baloney so thin, you can see through it.

You have to be careful with the F-150 line. Even referencing a trim level like XL isn't good enough. You've got the regular cab, SuperCab, SuperCrew variants with a variety of bed sizes and engines plus 2x4 and

4x4. A 4x4 SuperCrew with a Power Stroke (diesel) engine is the heaviest at around 5000 lbs.

The Lightning's 1800 lb battery is big but the Tesla Roadster's is a little over 1800 too. Even the Tesla 3 has a 1000 lb battery. Obviously you can do a IC model comparison with Teslas but with an apples to apples comparison like the F-150 or G80 that battery hurts. There still is one or more electric motors and the drive train. After years of paring down the IC engine weights it's not like you're offsetting a cast iron 430ci anchor like I had in my Lincoln (that went about 5400 lbs).

How that affects tire wear remains to be seen. I'd be interested if they come with LRR tires. The Yaris OEM tires were. It may have helped Toyota's fleet mileage but I got under 25,000 miles from them which is slightly ridiculous for a 2300 lb. car. With the covid crap I've only put on 12,000 miles since I bought the latest one at the start of the fiasco so we'll see. When they wear out I'll put on Cooper CS5's.

Reply to
rbowman

Right, go back to the original post that said EV is 1000 pounds more. Pay attention. You brought the baloney.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Furthermore, they found that adding half a metric ton (1,100 pounds) ?of battery weight can result in tire emissions that are almost 400 more times greater than real-world tailpipe emissions, everything else being equal.?

Exactly what I described in your technique. You worm and worm and slice the baloney. You even disparaged the writer. But you are a good conformist. You defend your propaganda narratives to the vary end.

He does not seem to realize you ate his ever living lunch. Bet he comes back and says you did not provide information.

As always, the devil's in the details. The F-150 weighs 4,021-5,740 lbs. The Lightning weighs 6,171-6,590 lbs. The difference between the two might be as little as 430 or as much as 2,569.

The XC40 weighs 3,627-3,840 lbs. The Recharge weighs 4,741.

The CNN article starts off by comparing the weight of a Hummer EV to a Honda Civic. WTF?

On the other hand, it also notes that:

"The average weight of passenger vehicles has been increasing for the past 40 years, according to a report from the Environmental Protection Agency, from an average of about 3,200 pounds to nearly

4,200 pounds. That's largely due to consumer preferences shifting towards trucks and SUVs and those vehicles, themselves, getting heavier."
Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Now you're trying to move the goal posts. The issue was that your BS article claimed that EVs have an extra 1000 pounds because of the batteries. Truth is they just said that those EVs have 1000 pounds worth of batteries, not that the total vehicle weight is 1000 pounds heavier. But it worked on you, because you just gleefully accept any BS, as long as it's the BS that you want to hear.

Reply to
trader_4

So, you read it again and still can't comprehend that it says exactly what Ed is saying? It doesn't say that the resulting EV is 1100 pounds heavier, it says that it has 1100 pounds of battery. Does it have a heavy gas engine? Radiator? Heavier transmission? No, don't consider anything that reduces weight, instead jump on the battery weight.

Here, one more time:

Let's look at the Tesla S. It weighs 4,561 to

Good grief, you really are incredibly stupid.

Reply to
trader_4

The EPA played their part by relaxing the fleet mileage requirements for light trucks. Suddenly manufacturers were building sexed up vans on light truck chassis while downsizing or eliminating their sedans. Many soccer moms would be better served with a station wagon which handles better, is a lot easier to park, and gets better mileage but good luck finding one.

There does seem to be a lot of lard. I had a '71 Audi 100LS that weighed

2400 lbs. At the time it was considered a mid-size luxury sedan. My current Toyota Yaris, at 2400 lbs, is considered a subcompact death trap. The Civic, a compact, is only 400 lbs heavier.

Some things didn't bloat. My '73 Mustang, the last year before the shrunken Mustang II fiasco, was 3200 lbs; a 2022 Mustang is 3400 lbs.

You make your choices. This week I forgot to get gas at CostCo and was startled as I drove into the driveway to see the gauge at E. I threw a gas can in back j.i.c, went back to town, and managed to stuff in 8.5 gallons. (it's an 11 gallon tank) with the trip odometer showing 335 miles. Close to $40 for a fillup hurt but not as much as filling an Expedition would have.

Reply to
rbowman