Interesting glue-up

The glue-up of the curved, corner section of a 1 1/2" thick desk wall (laminate of two, 3/4" thick, birch plywood sections):

"Plastic Resin" glue; applied in early AM temperatures (78 degrees in shop at 6AM, 100 degrees at 3PM); clamp time 24 hours.

As always in these cases, the glue-up was the easy part ... the damn jig was a separate project in itself!

Reply to
Swingman

Robatoy

Yep ... 1/8" x 9/16" kerfs, 3/8" apart. Bunches of them.

Reply to
Swingman

Did you use enough clamps? ;) Time to buy more clamps!

Looks good. That curved corner section is a nice design touch.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Yep, good ole bendy boards. I had to make a bunch of them on a number of projects.

One memorable project was building some "moon benches". These are an old piece of exercise equipment used by old vaudeville strongmen and other kinds of folks from over a hundred years ago. Long benches up to several feet long in a hemisphere shape. And they had to be strong. So I had to layer two or three of the bendy boards. Did not have to finish them though. the got covered up in upholstery.

That was an interesting project. The "bendyboard" remark brought back a flood of memories. Am I getting old? :(

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Interesting. Is that method cheaper than buying bendy ply and laminating it?

what do you charge the client for the 400 extra kerf cuts (SWAG: 100 slots, 4 passes each), or is that included in the overall price? That has to be a $5k+ desk set, eh?

-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Since you asked:

It was a "change order". When she asked on requesting the change what it would cost to make the corner a curve instead of square, my response: "Somewhere in the $500 to $750 range extra to incorporate the curve, NOT including materials."

Reply to
Swingman

Had one left of that type ...

Thanks, Lee ...

Reply to
Swingman

Are you sure you weren't remembering bundling boards?

Oops, that's not it.

I meant joggling boards. Yeah, that's it.

off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks Terrific! Good Execution and good choice on the old school WeldWood glue. Letme know If I can help with any thing, lifting, moving, delivery....

Reply to
Leon

Those numbers fit in my line of thinking. After all, no serious increase in materials...all money. I like making an honest buck. Getting paid for the skilzz.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Larry Jaques" wrote

of the half moon bench further down the page.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
tiredofspam

And the question is: What did you cut the kerfs with? Tablesaw, Festool saw, something else? Did you consider using wigglewood at all?

A jig for the clamping, jig for the kerfs, or both?

Reply to
Dave

OK. Works for me.

Absolutely. My current task was building a wheelchair ramp platform for a shower in a rental house. The guy's a quad so his teensy little supermodel girlfriend has to wheel his 250# of bones up it to and from the shower. It has to be removable so the shower door can close and the shower look like it did when they're gone. There is $200 worth of honest labor in it but only $27 worth of materials. We have tapers, dadoes, and tapered rabbets, all done in pristine plywood and fir. ;)

-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

-----------------------------------

Any reason you chose to kerf rather than using bending ply?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The glue up look easy enough, but getting 15 well trained and synchronized people to do the clamping must have taken some time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just a few brads?

Reply to
Robatoy

Ratcheting Band Clamps ... Rockler has them, but they've gotten expensive the past few years. I paid just North of $30/each a few years back and they're now $50.

Reply to
Swingman

Clamping.

Reply to