Odor question w/new topload Kenmore washer?

My daughter replaced her failing washer with a new Kenmore almost a year ago. Although it works well she complains of an odor eminating from it when not in use. Her old one never had that issue.

It was installed in exactly the same spot as the previous one using the same water source and drain (although all the hoses are new).

My thought is that it might not be completely draining somewhere 'down under' and after sitting a day or two perhaps the bacteria is doing it (they are on well water).

Has anyone experienced this issue before and if so what, if anything, was done to aleviate this issue?

Any/all ideas greatly appreciated.

Concerned Dad

Reply to
bobmct

Hmm.

  1. Sniff the entrance to the drain. The washer may be passing through sewer gas. (If so, you can probably fashion a p-trap.)

  1. Does she ever use bleach? If so, it will kill any microscopic nasties that might linger.

  2. And yes, bacteria thrive on some types of well water.
Reply to
HeyBub

You may have dirt buildup between the inner and outer tubs. You may need to remove the tub cover to check.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Keep the top open when not in use, run a half gallon of bleach through it. I bet its mold as mine can smell, there is alwys some water in the machine and closing the top just makes a good place for things to grow

Reply to
ransley

Reply to
Grumpy