Washer and Dryer Installation and relocation

We have just purchased a new washer and dryer. We had the store come and install them. They installed them just as the water lines and the exhaust vent it on the wall. The dryer on the left, and the washer on the right. The issue is, the pair are front loading, and the directions the doors open are inefficient the way they washer and dryers are sitting . We have to go around both doors to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer. In other words the doors open side by side rather than on opposite sides.

Here is my question...

Would it be an issue for the exhaust vent if i flip-flopped the two? I could run the vent pipe to the opening with no problem, but I don't want the extra length slowing down the exhaust where it won't vent properly.

S. Christopher

Reply to
Zoomer

An extra two or three feet of straight run isn't going to be a significant issue. It may have an impact on the drying efficiency if you have to make a really tight "S" with the vent pipe. Again, probaly not too much of an issue if the total length of the vent (to the outside) is very short.

My own dryer vent has a couple of right angle bends and then runs another 12 feet through the crawlspace to reach the outside. That's not ideal but it seems to work quite well.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

A couple more thoughts. What I would do is:

  1. Run the dryer and then go outside to feel the air flow coming out of the event.

  1. Swap the dryer position and repeat step 1.

You should be able to feel the difference if it's really degraded the airflow. Obviously it would be better to take a real measurement if you just happen to have a suitable instrument to hand (like a hot wire anenometer).

Keep in mind that each bend will reduce the flow as well as providing a point for lint to accumulate. With more bends, clean the vent more frquently.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

No, as long as the vent pipe isn't crimped, you shouldn't have any problem. You may want to ask your dealer if the door hinge side can be swapped though. Dryers frequently have this as an option. Washer may have.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

It is also possible sometimes to order new with the doors hinged in the manner you wish.

Reply to
Pat

the doors can be switched to open the other way, just look in the owners manual...should take you 30 minutes

Reply to
news

I'm just kind of curious as to why the house was set up wrong to beging with. The dryer is always on the right.

S. Barker

Always better to limit the number of bends in the exhaust. Bends tend to collect dust. If you swap the locations and clean out the exhaust twice a year, it should not matter. The switching of hinges is the best idea.

Reply to
Phisherman

Get a laundry basket on wheels. I don't know why people have all these labor savings devices and then get stuck in traffic on the way to the gym to work out. ?? Work while you live and save. Climb some stairs and skip the elevator. Put the washer on the opposite wall of the dryer and carry the laundry across the floor. Heaven forbid you break a sweat.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf

Reply to
Phisherman

My dryer is on the left.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

...except in places such as mine where the vent is on the left. It's not wrong.

Reply to
Bob M.

So's ours. Not our preference, but cheaper/easier to deal with that than run the natural gas line another 10 ft. to enable the right-hand angle (not to mention redoing the glass block for a similarly closer exhaust vent). House was built before these kinds of dryers; they didn't know.

Reply to
KLS

No, the dryer is on top! :-)

JK