Fleck Water Softener Problem

I have a 48,000 Grain water softener that I bought and Installed. Everything worked great, and It worked fine with the settings "out of the box" i.e. 15 lbs of salt and 854 gallons before a new regeneration. Obviously, that is excessive salt use for a family of 4 with 17 gpg hardness and 1 ppm iron.

I was able to get those settings correct after about a week, but I found that the 18x33 brine tank that came with the unit was too large for the room the softener sits in. I bought a used 12x14 rectangular brine tank locally from a softener guy for 50.00. I gave him the brine well and float and the 18x33 tank and he gave me this new (used) tank that came off a old technetic softener. When I installed the new brine tank, I found that when the softener (fleck

5600se) goes into brine/rinse stage, it starts sucking air and it makes the water throughout the house salty and fizzy (lots of air in the water). Is this because the float in the new (old) tank not compatible with the 5600??? Thanks
Reply to
warrenshudson

Look on the control valve, for a sticker. Does it say/marked in pen or marker 2.0 or 4.0? (factory setting upon order)

It seems you regenerate more than necessary. Mine is marked 2.0 - two people, 75 gallons of water per day..all included.

Understand the 5600se control has a default regen cycle of 14 days, iirc! You can up the number.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

He should have told you to keep the brine well, 23x0 float controlled valve and the brine pickup tube from the first tank. Go visit or call him and tell him about the air. That has nothing to do with the salty problem, that is due to your settings on the control valve.

The "default settings" are not what you need, and 15lbs in a 1.5 cuft (so called 48k) softener is regenerating less than 48k of capacity; about 40k. For max 45K in a 1.5 cuft softener, you need 23 lbs of salt. For help on settings find the sizing page at

Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

That handwritten number is the DLFC button's gpm rating; that is the drain line flow control. It is different for each cuft size softener and the type of resin used. It has nothing to do with the number of people.

The 14 days, it can go from 1 to 28 days, is the calendar override of the metering. It should be set for the number of days between regenerations based on the K of capacity dictated/established by the salt dose lbs in the given volume and type of resin. Plus the type of 'salt' used for regeneration; sodium chloride (softener salt) or potassium chloride (salt substitute) which is not as efficient as softener salt because all residential ion exchange softener resin is made in the sodium form, there is no potassium form resin. Depending on the salt efficiency setting of the softener, you may have to increase the salt dose by up to 30%.