Washer Recommendation?

I need to purchase a new washer. Anyone recommend a particular brand or model? Thank you for your reply.

Reply to
Susan Thomas
robmills

way too many variables to be able to provide any kind of answer! Cost ranges from 300 bucks on up front top loading features where you live etc.. One thing I have heard is that if you live in an area where your power tends to be spiky avoid the electronic control washers!

I would suggest a site like

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Get one of the modern front loaders. You will save the cost of the washer in clothes alone, plus saving on your water and electricity bill. I didn't realize how much wear a top loader was putting on my clothes until I replaced it. I wasn't wearing out my clothes, the washer was.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Maytag is still one of the best, may last one was 22 years old. Amana is now owned by them and is a good brand also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Maytag USED to be good... they suck now... i know someone who bought one and they returned it... very loud...

Reply to
Me

Amana is

With recommendations from this very group, I bought an Admiral made by Maytag earlier this year, at Home Depot. Works wonderfully! I know the highest recommendation was for Maytag Neptune but at 1200 dollars, I could buy almost 3 of the washers I now own. The one I bought is perfect and fit my budget. Yesterday my Whirlpool gas dryer died - it was older than 25 years (!) said the fix-it man. So we went off to Home Depot and bought a gas dryer- Admiral made by Maytag.

aloha, Thunder

Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
Smithfarms Pure Kona

Actually my parents just bought a Consumer Reports Best Buy dryer from Sears Kenmore and it is quite good except for the obnoxious buzzer when done. I think its better than my expensive Maytag Neptune dryer which is about 7 years old.

dollars,

Reply to
Art Begun

A Kenmore HE3 front loader saves water and drying time. It runs so quiet you have to look at it to make sure it is running. It costs more than top loaders, but since washers can last 15 - 20 years, the cost difference is justifiable.

Reply to
Stoney

I have owned Whirlpool, Kenmore and Maytag. My dad was a Sears appliance repairman (circa 1958-1964) and found out that Kenmore was either made by Whirlpool or Maytag, depending on the year/model. My last purchases were Maytag washer and dryer, probably over 6 years ago. They have been the best Washer Dryer I've ever owned! I think all are owned by the same company now, so no way to know which is best by name brand.

My dad brought home a combination washer-dryer front-loader back in the days he worked for Sears. It was very efficient but leaked through the door seal no mater what he did. He tossed it after a few months. I'm not sold on the idea because of that experience.

It's not easy to make a "right" decision based on magazine ratings because they're based on users opinions. If you can talk to a repairman, you'll be better off.

My last purchase of a dishwasher was from Sears, whose salesperson surprised me by answering my questions honestly and forthright. She steered me to an excellent quality, fair priced model not on display, sitting in the warehouse. I expect automatic dishwashers to only last 5-6 years because of the caustic abuse to any metal from the wash water. After that they begin rusting and leaking, usually unnoticed until the flooring is completely saturated. I'd rather not have that happen, so 5-6 yrs is my limit.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Hodgson

You have low expectations. My KitchenAid is 15 years with one minor repair about 5 years ago. No signs of corrosion. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
17 yrs on my Kenmore dishwasher, no repairs

10 years on my Kenmore clothes washer, $20 for new water valve last month. The Kenmore washer was the second cheapest Sears sold. Nothing but the best for my clan.

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
Tony Hwang

i have always LOVED my kenmore appliances. we HAD to buy GE PROFILE for the kitchen when we moved here (10yrs ago) and there have been repairs, and replacements! NEVER a problem with my kenmore stuff!

Reply to
rosie read and post

I always find it interesting how people decide what is or is not a good washer. Just because a machine doesn't break down during the warranty period, or even shortly after, doesn't mean it is a good machine. What is important is "how" it will break, when it does break. And if you look at that, things come into focus.

Let's take a look at GE washers, which currently have notorious main seal failures, which destroys the gearcase and bearings. Or when the gearcase fails, it sprays oil everywhere inside the machine. This is almost guaranteed to happen at the 5 year point. GE parts are much more expensive than the other brands.

Front loaders may use less power and water, but you shouldn't own one without some sort of repair contract, which decimates any water or power savings. All front loaders have electronic boards and high end motors...very expensive to replace, and they will need replacing sooner or later.

Frigidaire top load washers have notorious belt burnup problems. Nobody knows why. I would stear clear of all of their washers. Their dryers have notorious rear bearing problems, requiring annual lubrication. The others don't. Why go there?

Reply to
Todd

It runs quietly when it agitates but the pump is noisy as hell and the fast spin can cause the sheet metal case to vibrate and make a racket even with a sheet of plywood sitting underneath it.

Reply to
Art Begun

My whirlpool direct drive washer from Sears (Kenmore labeled) only lasted 5 years before water leaked into the transmission seal which is under water level. Pretty stupid design but seems to hold up for other people.

Their

Reply to
Art Begun

Some Kenmore stuff is made by GE.