O.T. The sick gun culture.

Steve, while I generally agree with your politics, you REALLY need to take this to a political group. This is alt.home.repair, NOT alt.political bullshit.

Please stop using this group as your personal political pissing ground.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Although your attitude is very common, many reputable studies have shown that more people are killed by guns legally owned by non-law enforcement citizens due to crimes of passion (the gun was available in the heat of the moment), accident, and suicide than the number of criminals who are shot (note: not necessarily killed) during a valid episode of self-defense.

In other words, the statistics show that you are much more likely to kill yourself or a loved one with that gun than you are to use it to protect yourself or a loved one from a life endangering threat.

Reply to
Peter

Since a lot of the people killed in war are killed by guns of some type, I can see where this might be true.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

False. Studies have shown there are about 1.5 million defensive gun uses annually. In 2009, there were 9,146 firearm-related murders in the U.S. That is, you are 164 times more likely to use a firearm to defend yourself than you are to murder someone.

About 40% of homicides were committed by people 14-24 years of age. In Philadelphia, 96% of homicide victims had a prior criminal record. In deference to political correctness, we won't delve into the race of either the victims or the shooters.

In other words, if you're over 24 and don't have a criminal record, the chances of you committing a homicide with a gun are vanishingly small.

Reply to
HeyBub

Ah, but understanding canine behavior is a one-off skill. Competence with a firearm is useful in many endeavors.

Understanding why a dog licks his naughty bits ("because he can") is worthless in dealing with a black-clad Ninja crawling across your ceiling.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, now here's a solid reason for 30 round magazines. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or pride before a fall...

You're point is well-taken.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hollywood.

Reply to
krw

Just today I had my Glock 19 blow-the-f*ck-up!

It slam-fired but it slam-fired before the cartridge was chambered!

Pictures here:

Goddamn Bakelite guns!

I showed it to the range master. "Yep," he said. "Failure to maintain weapon. You didn't keep it clean."

I hit him in the mouth.

Fortunately I wasn't injured... my current squeeze was the one firing the pistol.

[Pardon the profanity, but I'm still upset. According to the anti-gunners I should be running around the neighborhood shooting everything that moves in a fit of pique and they are relieved my weapon won't work ("It's alright little brother... there are more."). Guess I'll have to settle for standing on the street corner yelling "May your thigh swell up with salt water!"]

This evening I'll break out the duct tape.

Reply to
HeyBub

Little harry is just jealous. His parents failed to protect him and what you see is the result.

Reply to
krw

Johnny, just kill the thread so you don't have to see it. It's very easy in Thunderbird, press "K" when you see an off-topic post.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

yeah. because they're unnecessary. we're the most heavily armed nation on earth

and it seems to stop nothing. if guns stop crime, why do we have 2M uses of them a year, along with 11K deaths?

Reply to
bpuharic

with 300M guns in this country, the distinction between legal and illegal ownership is a fiction.

let's see. america has the highest rate of incarceration in the world. we have more prisoners than china.

how's that leniency working out?

Reply to
bpuharic

if gun ownership causes a DECREASE in violence like you say it does

why are we the most viotent developed country in the world?

Reply to
bpuharic

anyone think mexico is a developed country?

anyone? bueller? bueller?

so you're saying that crime is deterred SO much that, in the most heavily armed nation on earth we still have to use guns 2M times a year??

golly. doesnt do much for your argument

Reply to
bpuharic

anybody think these are developed countries?

in mexico they have to send in the marines to patrol their cities. does that make them developed?

costa rica's gun homicide rate? half of ourse

argentina? 1/3

bpuharic

2,000,000 instances of defense is unnecessary? How about I hang the "no guns here" sign out in front of your house?

It stops 2,000,000 of them every year. Perhaps candy-asses like you carried...

Reply to
krw

Now we all *know* you're stupid.

...and that's relevant to gun ownership, how?

Not well, obviously.

Reply to
krw

It certainly does. Check out violence in areas where it is legal carry (and easy to obtain *legal* firearms) and areas that don't.

A lie.

Reply to
krw

how about you tell me why criminals aren't deterred in the most heavily armed nation on earth.

Reply to
bpuharic