O.T. The sick gun culture.

frag wrote in news:4d2bdf1c$0$30430$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

the Democrats had the SAME thing. Comrade Obama used a lot of such rhetoric,such as "if they bring a knife,you bring a gun","get in their faces","hand to hand combat",his Enemies list,etc.

the Democrats are far more violence-prone.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Pete C." wrote in news:4d2b65ba$0$5442$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

well,that's because the "progressives" don't operate based on fact and reason,but on "feelings" and imaginations.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

What clearly goes unreported by the mainstream media is the numerous cases where someone with a gun prevents a crime or possible death by merely pulling out their own gun. A robber breaks into a home, the homeowner produces a gun, and the robber retreats. Or a guy tries to hold up a liquor store with a gun or a knife and the owner shoots him dead. Those stories never make it, while the story of one nut who shoots someone, usually with an illegal gun, does.

As for the ridiculous claim that running away is more likely to keep you alive, if that's the case, why don't they train police to defend themselves that way? If the suspect pulls a gun, run! In some circumstances that might be the best course of action. But clearly it doesn't work very well in all cases, as the AZ shooting clearly shows.

In the AZ shooting, if one person there had a pistol, the outcome could have been much different. Or the recent FL school board shootings, where the shooter held the entire school board hostage. If one person sitting at the school board had a pistol, they wouldn't have had to sit there, waiting for him to shoot them at will.

Reply to
trader4

Oh, please. I can just see it now. The robber that broke into your house in the middle of the night, or the guy with a knife in a liquor store, is going to call the police and file a complaint because he was confronted with a gun. Yeah, I'm sure that happens all the time.... How do you dream up this nonsense?

Most of these bad guys that wind up confronted by a lawful gun owner already have rap sheets 3 pages long and do everything they can to avoid contact with the police.

Reply to
trader4

Are you saying that 11,000 crimes were committed with guns by legal gun owners in the United States? If that's what you're saying, please show your source of information. If your source doesn't end with .gov, it's probably useless.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Unfortunately...? You wanted to shoot the dogs? Interesting. I've never threatened a dog, but I have told the owner I would be punching him in the face unless he controlled his dogs.

================

"Unfortunately" was the correct choice of words. If those dogs (and their owner) pulled this particular stunt once, they will repeat it. In this instance, the owner stopped the dogs using a one word command. The state trooper found that very interesting. Can you guess why?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Many carry a weapon for SELF defense, not for the defense of a third party.

If one uses deadly force on behalf of someone else, many consequences can flow - almost all of them bad.

These consequences, such as shooting someone who was not REALLY an aggressor or shooting a bystander, are not the problem. The thing that is really wrong is criminalizing these inadvertent deaths instead of treating them as justifiable or excusable. It is this threat of going to jail that disincentivizes a would-be rescuer, not cowardice.

I, personally, run to the sound of gunfire (as would many who've served in the military). But unless I see a perp actually drinking the victim's blood, I'm going to be quite circumspect before I start piling up the bodies.

Reply to
HeyBub

In my training, we were admonished: "He who puts the most metal in the air almost always wins."

In my view, cop cars should mount mini-guns. Give the stink-eyes a really bad day.

Reply to
HeyBub

Heh! The "poor" in the USA are mostly better off than the "middle class" in the UK. Virtually all the underclass own a color TV (with no annual tax), a car, a microwave, a cell phone, and so forth.

Reply to
HeyBub

Lemmesee ....... yours is the only family that is not defective, right?

You know the difference between insanity and mental illness? A mentally ill person knows there's something wrong with them. An insane person thinks there's something wrong with everyone else.

I can see plainly where you are at.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Actually many such claims of statistics are tainted by the inclusion of legal defensive kills by legal gun owners.

Reply to
Pete C.

Even if it does end in .gov you have to look closely as some of the data is improperly commingled. Often there are legal defensive shootings by legal gun owners in among their stats. A good part of the problem is inconsistent reporting from the various states.

Reply to
Pete C.

I still want to see his source. I'll be the judge of its usefulness.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The armed guy in Tucson also said he would've been hesitant to use his gun, since it might've caused more problems than it solved. Smart guy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

From movies. :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How would anyone know you were carrying in those circumstances? Does Arizona

*require* open carry?
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

More jumping to conclusions.

I'm not a Christian, although I'm a big supporter.

My faith doesn't have choir-boys so the possibility has never come up. We do, however, have cantors and the thought has crossed my mind...

In the Catholic tradition, a priest can bless a new home, a shrimp boat, ... or a gun. Nothing wrong with that.

Reply to
HeyBub

The point is the gun(s) wre useless in defense. Which is what any one with half a brain can deduce. Oh there was the idiot above who explained how he "nearly shot a dog". Does that count?

==================

Tell me in great detail why you believe it was improper for me to draw a gun in order to keep two badly behaved dogs from getting any closer than they already were to my son, who happened to be doing absolutely nothing which should cause dogs to go into "corner the target" mode.

There was zero risk to bystanders, since there were none. The setup was perfect.

I await your humorous explanation. Please try to minimize the spittle.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Uh, no. We do NOT have the highest "homicide" rate of developed countries. We're (let me count, mumble-mumble, carry the three...), ah, forty-sixth in homicide rates. Admittedly, some of the countries ahead of us are less than fully developed, but the list does include:

  • Jamaica
  • Belize
  • Brazil
  • Ecuador
  • Mexico
  • Costa Rica
  • Lithuania
  • Turkey
  • Agrentina

Which no one could classify as anything but "developed."

HeyBub

Do you feel the same way about fire insurance? A house fire is also an astonishingly rare event (at least for those who change the batteries in their smoke detectors).

Point is, one weighs the probability of the occurrence against the magnitude of the harm, coupled with the cost to prevent or recover from that harm.

Owning a gun is cheap compared to the cost of the (admittedly rare) situation that you might need it. $400 vs. my life... let me think.

Reply to
HeyBub